NFL 2017 Preaseason: Zeke the Freak to Sit 6 Weeks

Manhole Eunuchsbane

35 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Only issue I have with that is if this turns out the same way for the Cowboys as it did for the Pats. 

That would suck, but I am still operating under the belief that Jerry Jones has been cursed by the gods and will never see another title. Jason Garrett is still their coach, right?

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That would suck, but I am still operating under the belief that Jerry Jones has been cursed by the gods and will never see another title. Jason Garrett is still their coach, right?

Very true. I don't see that result as being likely either, but the Ginger Hammer seems to have some sort of boomeranging superpower.

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Sheldon Richardson traded to Seahawks for Jer main Kearse and conditional 2nd round pick.

That defense is going to be really good. No brainer deal for the 'hawks -- the Jets get worse and still don't have anything resembling a plan forward. Maybe they plan to suck for the top pick and then trade it for a bounty a la Browns? They are creating a team of holes and no path to shoring them up across the board. Their team would turn the next Luck into the next ... Luck.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

That defense is going to be really good. No brainer deal for the 'hawks -- the Jets get worse and still don't have anything resembling a plan forward. Maybe they plan to suck for the top pick and then trade it for a bounty a la Browns? They are creating a team of holes and no path to shoring them up across the board. Their team would turn the next Luck into the next ... Luck.

Meh, I understand what the Jets are doing.  Richardson is a free agent next year and by all accounts isn't going to resign in New York.  The Jets are not going to win anything this year, even if everything breaks their way.  So they traded Richardson while the getting was good.  A day 2 pick is nothing to sneeze at. 

It's nice that the Jets got a #3 receiver to lead their flock of #4s. In all seriousness, it's a smart play for the Jets. As long as they don't fuck up their picks.

Great trade for the Seahawks, too. Their D was starting to lose its rep.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

The NFL is in a no win situation on these issues.  They took such a huge PR hit with the way they handled the Ray Rice situation that they basically came down with a zero tolerance for all domestic violence situations, then you have this situation with Zeke where no charges are filed and the NFL investigator who interviewed the witness didn't even think a suspension was warranted... but the NFL sort of had to act even if its just for the optics of the situation.

Also, as I typed "domestic violence" up there; I had another question... do we use DV as kind of a catch all for any male on female violence these days?  Joe Mixon cold cocked a woman who was otherwise a stranger, but I feel like I've heard it called DV in some places.  If he had punched a guy at the bar, it would just be "assault and battery" but if feels like somehow it has to delineate that the victim was female.  :dunno: 

It shouldn't be a catch all for assault. Mixon's assault wasn't a case of domestic violence and I think it's wrong to consider it such. 

26 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It shouldn't be a catch all for assault. Mixon's assault wasn't a case of domestic violence and I think it's wrong to consider it such. 

100% agree - domestic violence is by definition violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner.I'd argue that it ought to encompass violent abuse (including emotional) of a spouse, partner, or family member no matter the location.

1 minute ago, Week said:

100% agree - domestic violence is by definition violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner.I'd argue that it ought to encompass violent abuse (including emotional) of a spouse, partner, or family member no matter the location.

Yeah, it should definitely cover all that, and I think it generally does.  Ray Rice knocked his wife out somewhere other than the home but they still considered it domestic violence.

What Mixon did was not domestic violence.  It was just assault.  

Brockstar cut by the Browns.

The Texans paid to get rid of him and now the Factory of Sadness is on the hook for $16m.

Is he now a better cautionary tale for back up QBs on the free agent market than Flynn/Rob Johnson?

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, it should definitely cover all that, and I think it generally does.  Ray Rice knocked his wife out somewhere other than the home but they still considered it domestic violence.

What Mixon did was not domestic violence.  It was just assault.  

Correct, I should have said domestic violence would be limited to that definition as it was being used too broadly before.

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The Texans paid to get rid of him and now the Factory of Sadness is on the hook for $16m.

Is he now a better cautionary tale for back up QBs on the free agent market than Flynn/Rob Johnson?

I think the cautionary tale should have begun when the Broncos benched him for a corpse.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

What do you mean by being on the hook?  The Browns made that trade for the second round pick, not for Brock.  They were obviously prepared to eat his contract as a part of the trade.  I don't think they had any delusions that Brock would magically become good.  They basically just leveraged their insane amount of cap space to buy a day two pick.  You see trades like that in the NBA all the time.

The Browns were also under the salary floor before trading for Brock, so they would have had to eat some of that money anyway just to get to the floor.  This way, they at least got an asset out of it.

21 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

In a way I can't really put my finger on, it's strangely comforting to know there are people out there who will defend the Browns. 

I just don't really understand how the Osweiler trade was bad for them.  They knew what they were getting.  They were buying a pick.  That was the obvious point of the trade.  They even acknowledged that in the press conference where they mentioned how happy they were to be trading for the pick before they brought up Brock.

Archived