NFL 2017 Preaseason: Zeke the Freak to Sit 6 Weeks

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It occurs to me how sad it is that Frank Gore's career is going to end with such a whimper. Here's one of my favorite players, who joined my favorite team for a shot at a super bowl, staring down the barrel of a five win season and 900 of the grittiest yards that will ever be accrued by a single player.

Fuck Ryan Grigson.

The Inconvenient Truth, before he lost his burst/speed, was one the most complete backs I've ever seen. You could make a training video out of gamefilm of him doing his thing.

@Pony Queen Jace

Schefty just said on Mike and Mike that the Colts are still saying Luck won't start on the PUP.  Which means they expect to play him within the first month of the season.

From my spot of infinite wisdom on my couch I think that's a mistake and should plan on shutting him down.  (actually... that's a lie, I'm in the traffic jam called the drive through line for breakfast at McDonalds)

Seriously.  Think about what kind of haul Indy could get if they snag the number one pick and Rosen/Darnold/Allen are available!  They could finally put some talent around him.

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

The Inconvenient Truth, before he lost his burst/speed, was one the most complete backs I've ever seen. You could make a training video out of gamefilm of him doing his thing.

Seconded. Dude was an absolute beast in his heydey. Hell, he was still pretty damn good 2 seasons ago.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

@Pony Queen Jace

Schefty just said on Mike and Mike that the Colts are still saying Luck won't start on the PUP.  Which means they expect to play him within the first month of the season.

From my spot of infinite wisdom on my couch I think that's a mistake and should plan on shutting him down.  (actually... that's a lie, I'm in the traffic jam called the drive through line for breakfast at McDonalds)

Seriously.  Think about what kind of haul Indy could get if they snag the number one pick and Rosen/Darnold/Allen are available!  They could finally put some talent around him.

I don't know what this team think it's doing. I wouldn't put it past them to start him the day after he gets medically cleared and then act surprised when he gets hurt.

Best case scenario would be a 2011 repeat of manning and he goes in for another surgery tomorrow, protecting him from this team.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Good read.

Make sure you've got at least a half pot of coffee within reach if reading with the morning paper.

Yes, good read.  Not a single one of us is only one thing.  We may look at "stars" that way but they're really no different.

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddd iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt (just not here):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/30/bengals-vontaze-burficts-suspension-reduced-from-five-to-three-games/?utm_term=.588eb965ad58

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddd iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt (just not here):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/30/bengals-vontaze-burficts-suspension-reduced-from-five-to-three-games/?utm_term=.588eb965ad58

I'd like to get some clarity on Elliot before my last couple of drafts. :angry:

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, it's good optics for the NFL to appear both "tough" and "fair" in these cases.  So, inflate the suspension right off the bat and then shave a few games off on appeal (not saying this will always happen).  Then everybody's happy, amirite?;)

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Me, too.  If Elliott's suspension is reduced (as I suspect it will be), I wonder if he'll feel it's enough or if he'll still go to court?

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I read one report that people close to Zeke don’t think his ban will get reduced. But either way, I personally wouldn’t touch him. The only reason to draft him is if you’re confident that you’re going to own the draft and can eat the 6 week ban and use him for a late season boost. Or I guess you could take him to use for trade bait. But if you really want him, I’d let someone else take him and try to trade for him after a few weeks, but I’d only do that if I had a dope, deep team.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I read one report that people close to Zeke don’t think his ban will get reduced. But either way, I personally wouldn’t touch him. The only reason to draft him is if you’re confident that you’re going to own the draft and can eat the 6 week ban and use him for a late season boost. Or I guess you could take him to use for trade bait. But if you really want him, I’d let someone else take him and try to trade for him after a few weeks, but I’d only do that if I had a dope, deep team.

Yeah, if I could guarantee that I go say 4-2 without him or something it might be worth it, but my instinct is to stay away as well. Unless he really plummets.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I doubt he goes that far with it. I bet it gets cut to 4, but after what happened to Tommy Watermelons I bet the Cowboys front office pressures him into just signing off on the suspension.

Wanna bet?

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Wanna bet?

Sure, but think about this for a second first. What has changed in the CBA that's going to make this any different? And who do you think has more pull at the end of the day, Brady or Zeke? A stay isn't going to do anything for him other than serving the suspension later and zeroing out any chance he has at getting it reduced.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, it's good optics for the NFL to appear both "tough" and "fair" in these cases.  So, inflate the suspension right off the bat and then shave a few games off on appeal (not saying this will always happen).  Then everybody's happy, amirite?;)

Me, too.  If Elliott's suspension is reduced (as I suspect it will be), I wonder if he'll feel it's enough or if he'll still go to court?

Yea, I'm still not happy. Think it's bullshit.

17 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sure, but think about this for a second first. What has changed in the CBA that's going to make this any different? And who do you think has more pull at the end of the day, Brady or Zeke? A stay isn't going to do anything for him other than serving the suspension later and zeroing out any chance he has at getting it reduced.

You're not looking at it like the Cowboys and the NFLPA will look at it. Jerruh feels betrayed, as does Elliot, and the NFLPA would love another chance to curb the commissioner's infinite powers ahead of another labor impasse in 5 years.

All we need is him to take it to court and a stay is all but guaranteed, in which case Elliot is still valuable from a fantasy standpoint. And that's all I care about.

Archived