Football: No Title Ideas

Consigliere

Fellaini went off injured in Belgium's game. Reports saying that it is a strain to his left knee with possible ligament damage. Fuck Roberto Martinez for playing him in a meaningless game for Belgium even though he knew Fellaini was carrying a knock and fuck international breaks. Hope Lukaku gets through the next game unscathed because that cunt Martinez is dying to play him even though Belgium have already qualified. It's not as though Belgium don't have other options.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Fellaini went off injured in Belgium's game. Reports saying that it is a strain to his left knee with possible ligament damage. Fuck Roberto Martinez for playing him in a meaningless game for Belgium even though he knew Fellaini was carrying a knock and fuck international breaks. Hope Lukaku gets through the next game unscathed because that cunt Martinez is dying to play him even though Belgium have already qualified. It's not as though Belgium don't have other options.

Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens, Carrasco, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois all started tonight also. I know he is the manager and is entitled to pick whoever he wants, but there is no need to go full strength when already qualified. It's not like they lack strength in depth. Spare my Chelsea boys and give someone else a chance to play, Robbie!

7 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens, Carrasco, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Courtois all started tonight also. I know he is the manager and is entitled to pick whoever he wants, but there is no need to go full strength when already qualified. It's not like they lack strength in depth. Spare my Chelsea boys and give someone else a chance to play, Robbie!

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

You two are aware the game Belgium against Bosnia was still relevant for the competition, as Bosnia and Greece are both competing for the play-off spot? I'd like to hear you two complain with City (or Tottenham or Liverpool or...) already having  secured the title not fielding a full strength squad, when they are facing a team that is competing with United or Chelsea for the CL spots.  Having that said, I at least understand the complaint about fielding a not fully fit Fellaini.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

You two are aware the game Belgium against Bosnia was still relevant for the competition, as Bosnia and Greece are both competing for the play-off spot? I'd like to hear you two complain with City (or Tottenham or Liverpool or...) already having  secured the title not fielding a full strength squad, when they are facing a team that is competing with United or Chelsea for the CL spots.  Having that said, I at least understand the complaint about fielding a not fully fit Fellaini.

Err, I don't know why the hell you are bringing me into this since my complaint clearly stems from the fact that Fellaini was carrying a knock therefore there was no point in risking him especially when Dendoncker was available. The same goes for Lukaku who is carrying a knock as well - no point risking him in the next game when you have an in form Mertens available. I never even insinuated that Martinez should be sending out a second string side. I'd have no problem with Fellaini and Lukaku playing if they were fully fit.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Good point - fair enough.

Hazard and Courtois came through unscathed so I was hardly complaining. I forgot the game had importance for Bosnia and that Martinez likely would have got in bother if he fielded a weakened team, lost the game and Bosnia sneaked into the play off spots.

Disappointing for Scotland, but the results in that group have guaranteed NI a play off spot. Hopefully they can get a positive result in Norway tonight and finish in the seeded positions. We'd be underdogs against every team, seeded or unseeded, but avoiding someone like Portugal or Italy (if seeded) would always be preferable.

Good luck with that. In Norway, we have - seemingly - concluded that the only way to get positive headlines for the national team is for them to give up part of their (international) earnings in order to secure equal pay for both genders.

Apart from that, we completely suck at this football thingy. Can we play this with skis on?

ETA: We’re playing with our two lumbering strikers I see. Their goal scoring record for our national team is second to just about everyone except goalkeepers. Unless NI can’t defend, you should be safe.

15 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

ETA: We’re playing with our two lumbering strikers I see. Their goal scoring record for our national team is second to just about everyone except goalkeepers. Unless NI can’t defend, you should be safe.

This made me LOL.

I hope your pessimism is real. We need any advantage we can get going into the playoffs.

Egypt finally qualify for a World Cup after 28 years with a last minute Salah penalty. Delighted for them, especially El-Hadary who will be 45 by the time Russia comes around. Must have thought it would never come after their great side missed 2006 and 2010.

6 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

This made me LOL.

I hope your pessimism is real. We need any advantage we can get going into the playoffs.

Well, they have 3 goals between them - in 38 international matches. Granted, they have been subbed on a bit, but still.. 

ETA: Guessing that if we score, it will be Mohammed Elyounussi on the right getting the goal.

1 hour ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Disappointing for Scotland, but the results in that group have guaranteed NI a play off spot. Hopefully they can get a positive result in Norway tonight and finish in the seeded positions. We'd be underdogs against every team, seeded or unseeded, but avoiding someone like Portugal or Italy (if seeded) would always be preferable.

There's a good chance of Portugal qualifying automatically. A win against Switzerland would do it due to their superior goal difference. A win for NI would see them seeded for the playoffs as they would move above Denmark into second place with only Sweden and Italy able to overtake you. A draw could be enough as well, although that requires both Sweden and Italy to lose their final games and even Wales and Croatia/Ukraine could then overtake you with big enough wins.

Archived