Jack Ryan - Amazon Prime Series

Rhom

See, I wouldn't say Ryan was paper thin as the episode where he was being an upright dick who was likely to result in the deaths of the people he was trying to save showed his "holier than thou" approach was as much a weakness as a strength. If he took the high road and was proved right all the time he'd be a lot more dull

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up the last two episodes tonight and really enjoyed the series as a whole.

I’m not sure why they bothered renaming John Clark in this one.  Matice is clearly meant to be the Clark analogue.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just caught a commercial for season 2 during the Thursday Night Football game. Set in Venezuela with Russian backing.  Features a scene that looked almost straight lifted from the Clear and Present Danger movie with the convoy of SUVs caught in an ambush.

Said it is available in November.

All of a sudden, Amazon Prime feels worth the money. In the past, we've been paying mostly for the free shipping. With this show, Man in the High Castle, Carnival Row, with WoT and LotR coming, now it's feeling like a streaming service I will actually use.

(Yes, there are a bunch of shows on AP, but most are not "must watch" for me - personally)

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Season 2 has arrived. I'll probably binge it all this weekend. Even though the stories are likely not connected, I've re-watched season 1 recently.

And I just realized that the guy who plays the tough black ops guy we see in a few episodes is also the Bud Light King. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2139624/

I didn't realize it until you just said it and now I recognize him!  :lol: 

This is pretty weird.  I speak Spanish -- not really well, but enough.  I've been to Venezuela, where they did not shoot.  I know many Venezuelans, including some academics who had to self-exile to Venezuela in the 1980's because expelled from the US and lost their positions because of their 'radical' povs about capitalism.  I've been to many of the places where the shooting locations are, standing in for Venezuela, so I recognized them, in Colombia -- particularly Bogota -- and the DR -- and Mexico. The Dominican Republic is always standing in for  other Latin countries.

Considering what's going on right now with the US and Venezuela, the flavor of this is, well, kind of off, not quite right. You know, like, why doesn't Venezuela have the right to its own oil, gold and other resources? But I'm only starting.

Love Greer, as forever, and how Pierce always manages to give shoutouts to NO and Louisiana. What happened to Ryan's doctor girlfriend from season 1?

Most of all, love the boyz on the boat!  Hope they all make it.  Hope the lady running for potus makes it too.

so, per usual, there are a lot of problems with plausibility, including,

Spoiler

why on that clandestine ops, when everyone else smartly blacks up etc., is Ryan dressed for the country club, including wearing white pants?  Puleeeeze.

ETA: OK! It was supposed to go up today, I read in the papers, but amazilla jumped the gun by one day.  Wonder why?

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

This is pretty weird.  I speak Spanish -- not really well, but enough.  I've been to Venezuela, where they did not shoot.  I know many Venezuelans, including some academics who had to self-exile to Venezuela in the 1980's because expelled from the US and lost their positions because of their 'radical' povs about capitalism.  I've been to many of the places where the shooting locations are, standing in for Venezuela, so I recognized them, in Colombia -- particularly Bogota -- and the DR -- and Mexico. The Dominican Republic is always standing in for  other Latin countries.

Considering what's going on right now with the US and Venezuela, the flavor of this is, well, kind of off, not quite right. You know, like, why doesn't Venezuela have the right to its own oil, gold and other resources? But I'm only starting.

Love Greer, as forever, and how Pierce always manages to give shoutouts to NO and Louisiana. What happened to Ryan's doctor girlfriend from season 1?

Most of all, love the boyz on the boat!  Hope they all make it.  Hope the lady running for potus makes it too.

so, per usual, there are a lot of problems with plausibility, including,

Reveal hidden contents

why on that clandestine ops, when everyone else smartly blacks up etc., is Ryan dressed for the country club, including wearing white pants?  Puleeeeze.

ETA: OK! It was supposed to go up today, I read in the papers, but amazilla jumped the gun by one day.  Wonder why?I

I just watched the first episode last night and found it underwhelming. The US has fits about Venezuela buying Russian armaments is is suspiciously shipping them to a military base?? Where else would one expect them to end up? 

Yee-ah.  Um, that lecture about Venezuela and all its resources, um, who do they belong to, really?  Evidently not Venezuela.  Or something.  Also why aren't people terribly skinny from lack of food as they really are?  They all look in awfully good shape for people who are starving.

There's so much that begs questions, right?  Not to mention how does Ryan just have vehicles all the time.  How can he drive so easily through Caracas, when he's never been there before and evidently doesn't have a GPS and doesn't speak Spanish either?  You know, questions like that.  It's pretty ridiculous so far, in a way that the first season wasn't. 

ETA:  Heads up for Anthony Head (Mr Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for ya younglings), as a corporate head in episode 4, fairly briefly.

21 hours ago, Zorral said:

Hope the lady running for potus makes it too.

Did I miss something about the US having an election??

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

ETA:  Heads up for Anthony Head (Mr Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for ya younglings), as a corporate head in episode 4, fairly briefly.

How old are you, if you think that that's a good reference for young people?  That show hasn't been on for 16 years.

7 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Did I miss something about the US having an election??

How old are you, if you think that that's a good reference for young people?  That show hasn't been on for 16 years.

You're right -- not POTUS --duh -- I did mean president of Venezuela. :( :dunce:

That's what I said.  For so many here surely BTVS and Anthony Head doesn't mean a thing.  Can you read?  I explained to the younglings who this guy is and why some of us might be interested.

In the meantime ... the thing this Jack Ryan gets right though, from personal experience and observation, is that everywhere in the Latinx worlds and communities, as in the African American worlds and communities -- and especially the that Afro-Latinix communities, it's the women who are stepping up everywhere, keeping things going and caring for it all.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Just watched the episode. He also played Uther Pendragon in BBC's Merlin for not so old people.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Just watched the episode. He also played Uther Pendragon in BBC's Merlin for not so old people.

I know.  I saw most of the seasons but lost interest about the last two.

In the meantime finished watching season 2 of Jack Ryan. Pretty much a narrative mess.  Not impressed.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

I know.  I saw most of the seasons but lost interest about the last two.

In the meantime finished watching season 2 of Jack Ryan. Pretty much a narrative mess.  Not impressed.

Still watchin but mostly because my wife seems to be enjoying it. I have to say the so-called Special Forces soldiers are more like Special Needs Forces because they come across as so incompetent. 

Another glaring oops is the satellite in synchronous orbit over Venezuela. A satellite in that orbit is over 22000 miles away. They make it sound as if is just above the atmosphere. 

33 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Still watchin but mostly because my wife seems to be enjoying it. I have to say the so-called Special Forces soldiers are more like Special Needs Forces because they come across as so incompetent. 

Another glaring oops is the satellite in synchronous orbit over Venezuela. A satellite in that orbit is over 22000 miles away. They make it sound as if is just above the atmosphere. 

Also narratively, it repeats actions. Left behind, gotta rescue; somebody else left behind, go back again.  It is very clumsy construction.

Not to mention Doug Stamper impersonating a Venezuelan, coz, you know he speaks Spanish.  But Spanish is spoken differently both within and without Venezuela -- nor doe he look at all like most of the population, including the educated, political, elite class, from facial features to body language.  Feh.

And really? Americans storming the capital of another country without orders and nothing bad happens to them? Now all is well with Venezuela and in D.C. What era are we in back there in D.C.? Who is running the show? Really, no presidential briefing?  Though these days on the Hill and in the White House, who the eff knows -- anything can happen or not happen, and since there's no address for this, the entire production is a mess and makes no sense.  Cardboard cut-outs for both characters and actions.

I give this a grade of D.

Archived