Football: International Break-Up

Jordan La Cabra

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Let's not beat around the bush, Chelsea were average. We were just total fucking bollocks. You didn't need intensity to beat us.

I would not say we were 'average'. But if you would rather put it down to another poor performance from Jose's United away from home against a rival team, feel free.

Well, well, well.

First things first: my stream was sh*t. Slow-running, jagged, stop-start. Perfect illustration of Everton for the first 60-odd minutes. Because, man, we were poor.

First half that went for both teams, but then we decide to give Watford a goal on the break 30 seconds into the second. Brilliant. We then continue to create very little, while letting in a second goal from a corner. I was fuming at that point. 

Then Lookman plays a nice ball over the top, Niasse runs through and the back up keeper of Watford is everywhere he shouldn’t be. One goal back. DCL comes on, heads in a second from a corner. Happy times. And then (because I moaned about him pre match, I assume) Lennong gets us a penalty. Granted, he was very lucky, as Holevas had everything covered - but slipped and took Lennon out in the fall. Accidental, but still a penalty. And we’re winning. Only that there’s twelve minutes of added time...

We play those like Martinez is still in charge, which means there’s no organization at the back whatsoever. Obvious from the penalty - Niasse has to follow Doucoure to the byline, because no-one picks him up. Nobody picked up Richarlison in the 16-yard box,  because that’s not neccesary, is it? Worked earlier in the half when Hughes was the only Watford player in the box, with five blue shirts - and no-one marked him, right? Well, it did then, but this time it only  because Cleverly decided to shoot an awful penalty way wide. 

Sorry, Rhino, I don’t want you on a permanent basis.

Chelsea were better and deserved to win. We've been really bad since the last international break though. Well organised defensively but clueless in attack. If we don't get the first goal in a game then I just don't see us being capable of getting anything out of the game. The title race is shaping up to be not much of a race -  five of the top six are fairly evenly matched while City are a level above currently. Eight points is a big gap.

23 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Well, well, well.

First things first: my stream was sh*t. Slow-running, jagged, stop-start. Perfect illustration of Everton for the first 60-odd minutes. Because, man, we were poor.

First half that went for both teams, but then we decide to give Watford a goal on the break 30 seconds into the second. Brilliant. We then continue to create very little, while letting in a second goal from a corner. I was fuming at that point. 

Then Lookman plays a nice ball over the top, Niasse runs through and the back up keeper of Watford is everywhere he shouldn’t be. One goal back. DCL comes on, heads in a second from a corner. Happy times. And then (because I moaned about him pre match, I assume) Lennong gets us a penalty. Granted, he was very lucky, as Holevas had everything covered - but slipped and took Lennon out in the fall. Accidental, but still a penalty. And we’re winning. Only that there’s twelve minutes of added time...

We play those like Martinez is still in charge, which means there’s no organization at the back whatsoever. Obvious from the penalty - Niasse has to follow Doucoure to the byline, because no-one picks him up. Nobody picked up Richarlison in the 16-yard box,  because that’s not neccesary, is it? Worked earlier in the half when Hughes was the only Watford player in the box, with five blue shirts - and no-one marked him, right? Well, it did then, but this time it only  because Cleverly decided to shoot an awful penalty way wide. 

Sorry, Rhino, I don’t want you on a permanent basis.

Whats your assessment of the Everton situation? Over the summer I thought they did some decent business, not mindblowing but certainly not as dire as it now seems. A lack of a real striker to replace lukaku seems a big error but other than that I would have been reasonably happy.

3 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Whats your assessment of the Everton situation? Over the summer I thought they did some decent business, not mindblowing but certainly not as dire as it now seems. A lack of a real striker to replace lukaku seems a big error but other than that I would have been reasonably happy.

I thought we did okay, and I still hold out hope, but we have completely lacked cohesion for the start of the season. 

Starting at the back: we have little pace. Keane is slow, Williams is slow, Jags isn’t, really, but he suffers from getting older. Our backs are also asked to play higher, so they don’t cover well. 

Speaking of backs, we lack a good one on the right side. Holgate is a centre back, Martina is .. okay-ish and Kenny is still learning. Coleman would be great - hope he comes back. Left hand side, we have Baines. That’s it. And he’s also ageing. Still good, but replacement should be a priority. 

I think our formation(s) and unclear gameplan has left CM in a hole. They have all been playing at a lower level than last year. Gana is trying to be box-to-box, Schneiderlin has - seemingly - lost a step, and Davies has been played everywhere and isn’t always sure of what  to do. Plus, he’s young, he makes mistakes.

Then there’s the problem of our three number 10s. None of them can really play anywhere else, and at least two is tried every match. But they can’t dictate much when the other is generally misplaced, we change wingers every other game, and there’s no rythm. Plus that we have no striker. 

I have no idea how best to solve it. There’s plenty of good players in the squad, and I think we could field a good team with a good bench - but atm they have no shape, little plan, are all over the place and do not threaten when going forward. 

I guess my first priority would be to get the defense settled. Play the youngsters in attack (Lookman, DCL, Vlasic - all with pace) and go for the counter. Luckily, I’m not the manager.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

What do you reckon to the rumours that Dyche is gonna be announced during the week?

Heh. 

Since I argued in my previous post just above that defense is a priority, I think Dyche may be right - short term. Long term? No idea - he hasn’t tried to manage a team whose ambition is top six yet. 

He may succeed, or he may get a Moyes-at-United-moment when his trusted way of playing isn’t considered okay anymore. 

That said, having seen Rhino’s teams defend like it was 2015 all over again, I yearn for defensive solidity. Just, please, do not consider Samuele Allardici. Thankyouverymuch.

1 minute ago, Rorshach said:

He may succeed, or he may get a Moyes-at-United-moment when his trusted way of playing isn’t considered okay anymore. 

Yet to be proven, but I think what may stand Dyche in good stead as he steps up is that I think he doesn't really have a trusted way of playing in the same way a Moyes/Pulis/Allardyce does. He just goes with whatever works in the context he's working in. If that'll be enough as his career progresses we'll see, but I don't think he's as rigid as he's sometimes made out to be.

Idiot of the week goes to Nabil Fekir. He took his shirt off to show to the St Etienne fans à la Messi after going 5-0 up in the derby. Unsurprising that does not go down well and there is a pitch invasion and the match is abandoned. Amazingly he only got a yellow before they all had to run off.

6 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Idiot of the week goes to Nabil Fekir. He took his shirt off to show to the St Etienne fans à la Messi after going 5-0 up in the derby. Unsurprising that does not go down well and there is a pitch invasion and the match is abandoned. Amazingly he only got a yellow before they all had to run off.

I'll be honest, if a bunch of fans staged a pitch invasion because a player took his shirt off, I don't think he's the idiot in that situation.

25 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'll be honest, if a bunch of fans staged a pitch invasion because a player took his shirt off, I don't think he's the idiot in that situation.

Certainly not the biggest idiot on show, but mocking your biggest rivals in such a manner isn't the brightest of ideas.

11 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Certainly not the biggest idiot on show, but mocking your biggest rivals in such a manner isn't the brightest of ideas.

This is the reasoning along the lines of claiming the rape victim brought it on herself because of what she was wearing.

Needlessly humiliating the opposition fans - when the score was embarrassing enough already - to get a reaction is hardly comparable.

The tone was totally different to Messi and Icardi sealing a late win through their brilliance. The game was done, the goal meaningless and Fekir had not dragged the team there.

Even if he did "needlessly humiliate the opposition fans" as you seem to think he did... So what?

Remember Ronaldo scoring that penalty in the Champions League final overtime against Atletico to make it 4-1? He celebrated as if it was a last-minute game winner, taking his shirt off, being an obnoxious prick and all the usual. Did Atletico fans storm the pitch?

Hell no, they didn't.

St. Ettiene fans behaved like idiots. They are the ones to blame. The ONLY ones to blame. Period.

Archived