Football: International Break-Up

Jordan La Cabra

1 hour ago, Eggegg said:

It says more about how poor the England squad is that we are calling these players up.

Not really. It's for a pair of friendlies and gives Southgate a chance to test out a couple of options in good young players having good seasons.

There's a couple of holes in England's squad but overall it's really quite a good one. The squad isn't the problem.

I think we can say a couple of things.

1) Everton have really messed up in the transfer window. Got a lot of players, and even players I think will be good, but managed to miss a target even a blind man - or Donald Trump - would see. Way to go! Koeman was perhaps the wrong man for the job, but everyone involved in tranfers should hang their heads in shame. 

2) Unsworth will not get the job permanently. I like that he’s promoted Baningime, who looks ready, but his continued selection of Aaron Lennon merits raised eyebrows everywhere. Also, he’s constantly tinkering with the defense, which is a bad sign. And then there’s the small matter of losing three out of three, when he wanted to show he’s a «winning manager». U23s it is.

3) Who in their right mind would come to Everton atm? Has to be someone slightly insane, methinks.

6 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Tammy Abraham and Ruben Loftus-Cheek called up for the England squad.

I don't know what that says more about: the dearth of talent available to Gareth Southgate; or Chelsea's stupidty when it comes to not letting talented young English players have a chance in the first team - talented young English players who wouldn't be doing any worse than the current over priced foreign imports are currently.

Loftus-Cheek could be said to be about the dearth of talent. Abraham, not so much.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:11 PM, polishgenius said:

Patrice Evra's gone and done a Cantona and been sent off before Marseille's game even started for kicking a fan in the head.

This moment of madness has probably ended his playing career as well. Marseille have terminated his contract and he will likely get a lengthy ban as well. An ignominious way to end his career.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

This moment of madness has probably ended his playing career as well. Marseille have terminated his contract and he will likely get a lengthy ban as well. An ignominious way to end his career.

what on earth did that supporter say to set him off? crazy!

tomorrow Newcastle hosts Bournemouth. I think they will give the toon all they can handle. Newcastle are reminding me of them when they first popped up in the premier league. my boys are playing tight defense,  holding lines well, highly disciplined and every player with a strong work ethic. truly you just add a bit more skill in a few positions and the magpies  are going to be a force to be reckoned with!

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Most sources seem to be saying he has been suspended by Marseille rather than sacked. Even if he hasn't been sacked yet, I'd be very surprised if they didn't sack him in the end. He's surely going to get a long suspension similar to that of Cantona; and at 36, he's hardly worth waiting on, especially as he's been on the bench more often than not this season.

12 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

what on earth did that supporter say to set him off? crazy!

Unknown yet. The official statement from Marseille just states that there was "unacceptable behaviour from some fans who subjected Evra and his team-mates to hateful attacks".

12 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Most sources seem to be saying he has been suspended by Marseille rather than sacked. Even if he hasn't been sacked yet, I'd be very surprised if they didn't sack him in the end. He's surely going to get a long suspension similar to that of Cantona; and at 36, he's hardly worth waiting on, especially as he's been on the bench more often than not this season.

Probably. The official statement from Marseille read "layoff with immediate effect" which was taken to mean "contract terminated" but looks like it actually meant "suspended pending a disciplinary hearing". Either way, yeah, given his age and the lengthy ban he should be getting, Evra should just announce retirement. His career is done.

32 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

His performance last week and so far today makes it even more questionable as to why the previous two managers never gave Demarai Gray more of a chance from the start. He's been shredding Zouma.

Haven’t watched Leicester much, but hasn’t he had consistency issues? He’s young, after all. 

Also, Albrighton is just the bees knees. Or, at least, he’s better defensively.

10 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Haven’t watched Leicester much, but hasn’t he had consistency issues? He’s young, after all. 

Also, Albrighton is just the bees knees. Or, at least, he’s better defensively.

He has't really played enough to have consistency issues.

Also, and this goes to your Albrighton point too, he could have been stepping in for Mahrez just as easily as for Albrighton (although he's replacing the latter here), and those concerns apply even more to him.

I was sort of joking on the Albrighton point, even though he’s consistent. 

But I guess the second half sums up the challenge Gray has. He gets relatively anonymous if he can’t get his game going. Woudn’t mind him at Everton, still.

All the criticism Claude Puel received at Southampton was about how boring and negative his team were. Puel left them in the summer and Southampton look no more positive without him; two games into his Leicester career, you can hardly accuse them of being negative. Maybe it was more to do with the players available at Southampton than Puel's style of management.

Here's our team :

Sadio Mane returns to the starting line-up for Liverpool in this evening’s Premier League clash with West Ham United.Elsewhere, Georginio Wijnaldum has shaken off an ankle issue to start against the Hammers as the Reds make three changes from Wednesday’s win over Maribor, with Joe Gomez also handed a berth.Jordan Henderson is ruled out with a thigh injury, so Simon Mignolet takes the captain’s armband.

Liverpool: Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Subs: Karius, Lovren, Milner, Sturridge, Grujic, Solanke, Alexander-Arnold.

Archived