NFL 2017: Less Than Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

7 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Main question to me now is what happens to Cousins. He's evolved into a good QB with no "yeah, but" attached. Seems to have grown out of the back-breaking INTs at the worst possible time and other assorted brain farts. 49ers and Rams are set but I expect other suitors to emerge. There's so much terrible QB play out there, it'd be front office malpractice for 5-10 teams not to look into him. And sounds like all bridges have been burned because this team poisons everything it touches. But it'd be nice if he somehow did re-sign to allow what looks to finally be a talented core of players to reach its potential. Would also make it easier to use a high draft pick on a RB which they sorely need. 

The Jets need a QB and have been just competent enough to fall out of the top of the first round... Other than that, maybe Denver?

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

One of those "sometimes you're in the path of the whirlwind" type seasons. Best thing you can say about the season is Callahan and Tomsula are amazing positional coaches with how their units have performed when healthy and continue to be decent despite being shattered.

Callahan and Tomsula are doing a great job.  Nonetheless, I think this Seattle game is going to be really really ugly with all of the backups and practice squad guys we have starting this week.

Not to mention as tough as the schedule has been thus far (Eagles twice, Chiefs, Rams) it somehow doesn't get any easier (Seahawks, Vikings, Saints the next three weeks). The season is almost definitely over. 

Yeah, I was hoping after the Eagles game that since a lot of the injuries are more of the 2-6 week variety that we might be able to survive and make a late push.  I held on to hope that if we could make it through the worst of the schedule at 5-5 then we'd have a real shot at the playoffs.  But the Dallas game added another 3-4 starters out, there's just no way.

Main question to me now is what happens to Cousins. He's evolved into a good QB with no "yeah, but" attached. Seems to have grown out of the back-breaking INTs at the worst possible time and other assorted brain farts. 49ers and Rams are set but I expect other suitors to emerge. There's so much terrible QB play out there, it'd be front office malpractice for 5-10 teams not to look into him. And sounds like all bridges have been burned because this team poisons everything it touches. But it'd be nice if he somehow did re-sign to allow what looks to finally be a talented core of players to reach its potential. Would also make it easier to use a high draft pick on a RB which they sorely need. 

I have no idea what Cousins will do, but signs point to him wanting to leave.  If he does, this team is a complete mess, and frankly nobody in the fanbase has any appetite for another rebuild.  Maybe he'll sign with Jacksonville and I could become a Jags fan?  Khan seems like a less loathsome owner than most. 

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The Jets need a QB and have been just competent enough to fall out of the top of the first round... Other than that, maybe Denver?

Cousins doesn't need to sign with a terrible franchise, he'll have options.  If we're talking about reasonable landing spots for Cousins, there are really three types:

Teams with some talent and obvious qb needs:  Jacksonville, Arizona, Denver, Washington

Surprise teams who might be ready to move on from their franchise qb:  Chargers, Giants, Ravens, Saints, (Vikings?)

Terrible teams who Cousins won't consider unless the money is just crazy:  Browns, Jets, Dolphins

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Except when you lose to me in FF by 100 points. 

In Dynasty! Where I'm rebuilding, have 1 QB, and let you clowns convince me to keep Jon Stewart for multiple years. I should have trusted my own scouting.

And didn't i beat you in C this week?

Meanwhile, we all lose because Brockstar is starting v the Iggles

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Cousins doesn't need to sign with a terrible franchise, he'll have options.  If we're talking about reasonable landing spots for Cousins, there are really three types:

Teams with some talent and obvious qb needs:  Jacksonville, Arizona, Denver, Washington

Surprise teams who might be ready to move on from their franchise qb:  Chargers, Giants, Ravens, Saints, (Vikings?)

Terrible teams who Cousins won't consider unless the money is just crazy:  Browns, Jets, Dolphins

Thanks, I didn't spend that much time thinking out the list of QB-seeking teams. Jets and Broncos were front of mind for me, on the "I hope this team doesn't get a legit QB" reasoning.

28 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Arizona and Denver seem like the top 2 to me with Jacksonville and Washington as a distant 3/4. 

I'd consider the Giants as the dark house -- but Eli's contract still has a pretty huge cap in for a few years. Same with Flacco and Rivers. Brees could be cut with no penalty in 2018 (I think) - but I would think he's too popular there for that.

13 minutes ago, Week said:

Arizona and Denver seem like the top 2 to me with Jacksonville and Washington as a distant 3/4. 

I'd consider the Giants as the dark house -- but Eli's contract still has a pretty huge cap in for a few years. Same with Flacco and Rivers. Brees could be cut with no penalty in 2018 (I think) - but I would think he's too popular there for that.

I feel like Arizona's been overrated talent wise ever since they got blown out in the NFCCG in 2015.  Jacksonville looks much more talented to me.  Denver is the ideal scenario if they have the cap space, since that is a well run organization with talent to go around him.  If the Chargers or the Giants wanted to move on, I'm confident they could find trade partner for Manning or Rivers.

One thing Cousins is going to have to get used to is worse pass protection, none of those teams has a particularly good O line.  Cousins can get a taste of that the rest of this year with the Redskins "all backups, all the time" O line. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I have no idea what Cousins will do, but signs point to him wanting to leave.  If he does, this team is a complete mess, and frankly nobody in the fanbase has any appetite for another rebuild.  Maybe he'll sign with Jacksonville and I could become a Jags fan?  Khan seems like a less loathsome owner than most. 

He's going to Jacksonville. Book it!

52 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Oh hell naw. One of the last things I’d want the Vikings to do is overpay for Kirk.

44 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

In Dynasty! Where I'm rebuilding, have 1 QB, and let you clowns convince me to keep Jon Stewart for multiple years. I should have trusted my own scouting.

And didn't i beat you in C this week?

Meanwhile, we all lose because Brockstar is starting v the Iggles

So am I Jace. I inherited the worst possible team. I’m just getting lucky that Watson and Wilson are a two headed monster.

Speaking of which, I recall all of you saying it was a mistake to grab Watson for three years at $9. Who’s laughing now?

And yeah, you snuck up and caught me in W-C. You caught me during my bye week hell and when my QBs both decided to have their worst games. Great…..

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So am I Jace. I inherited the worst possible team. I’m just getting lucky that Watson and Wilson are a two headed monster.

Speaking of which, I recall all of you saying it was a mistake to grab Watson for three years at $9. Who’s laughing now?

And yeah, you snuck up and caught me in W-C. You caught me during my bye week hell and when my QBs both decided to have their worst games. Great…..

I beat you earlier in the year! And twice last year! You're like Tony Dungy to my Belichick

52 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I feel like Arizona's been overrated talent wise ever since they got blown out in the NFCCG in 2015.  Jacksonville looks much more talented to me. 

Speaking of these two teams, a little while ago someone asked why the Cards' defense had suffered while the Jags finally gelled. The answer might be as simple as Calais Campbell.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Speaking of these two teams, a little while ago someone asked why the Cards' defense had suffered while the Jags finally gelled. The answer might be as simple as Calais Campbell.

Campbell definitely helps, but it's more than just him.  The Jags had a ton of young talent last year and they couldn't put it together.  This year, they have.  If they make the playoffs with Bortles as QB, it will be an incredible accomplishment. 

40 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I beat you earlier in the year! And twice last year! You're like Tony Dungy to my Belichick

When did that happen? I don’t recall playing your blood sucking self a third time this year.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

No he doesn't. And Hue knows it. 

I'm pretty dissapointed the Browns incompetence cost the Bengals a 2nd & 3rd though. 

Yeah, he's just not good.  And he's an asshole.

At any rate, sounds like it was actually the Bengals that fucked up by sending in the wrong trade form to the league.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

When did that happen? I don’t recall playing your blood sucking self a third time this year.

When I get home, I will get back to you.

You're the one who was talking up the matchup Anyways ;)

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, he's just not good.  And he's an asshole.

At any rate, sounds like it was actually the Bengals that fucked up by sending in the wrong trade form to the league.

Nah, I prefer the version where the Browns were celebrating and forgot to call the league.

5 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Nah, I prefer the version where the Browns were celebrating and forgot to call the league.

My original theory was that Hue was pushing hard for McCarron and the Browns' front office wanted no part of him, so they "accidentally" forgot to inform the league of the trade in time.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

2 hours ago, Week said:

Yeah the 2004 class of QBs - Eli, Ben and Felipe have to be 50/50 each to retire at the end of the season. Carson Palmer too if he's wise. I also wouldn't rule out the Ravens having Flacco covertly murdered. I understand they know a guy. 

John Elway is a great GM overall...except when it comes to drafting QBs. Paxton Lynch over Dak and Brock Osweiler over Russell Wilson respectively will haunt him for years. He'd be wise to go after a proven commodity like Cousins if he has the cap space. 

Archived