US Politics: Mueller Monday

Mexal

6 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Dunno about that.  He was arrested in July, right?  Been busy today but if so being wired doesn't really make sense.

He was arrested in July but didn't enter the plea deal until October. Lots could have happened between July and October that we don't know about.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

Surely Trump is 'the healthiest individual ever elected to the Presidency'? His doctor said so.

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_34/1686086/160826-trump-doctor-mbe_522p_4682d6e21de28872bf7e79a0041ee9f1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too? 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Per other reports, Trump has drunk quite a bit in the past, though he doesn't now. 

He also eats total shit. 

I've never heard that Trump drank before. I was always left with the impression that he never did when he was young either other then at formal events (like toasting a glass of wine).

But yes, his diet is awful. I heard one of his closest friends say that Trump is at his happiest when he's at home, in a bathrobe, eating an entire meatloaf by himself while watching T.V.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Mostly true, but his hostile personality does somewhat counter this, since it is also a big risk factor for heart disease.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan03/hostility.aspx

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109708041259

How does sleep deprivation affect his health? Trump always looks like he's only slept for a few hours no matter when you see him, and people on the campaign trail openly wondered if he ever actually slept. 

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

He was arrested in July but didn't enter the plea deal until October. Lots could have happened between July and October that we don't know about.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Not sure to be honest. All I can say is I've seen that possibility brought up in more than a few threads.

Sure.  Perhaps I'm giving the administration too much credit, but I honestly can't find this in cursory searches - I don't think he worked for the WHO in any official capacity during that time, right?

6 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Many
Are
Getting
Arrested

Saw that this morning on twitter while I was, I suppose appropriately, attending a talk on gender bias in legislative committee assignments.  Except the "M" was for Men.

47 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You should get yourself scanned just in case they put a neck chip in you.

34 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Too far gone.  The chip has done its damage over the past 14 years.

Wasn't no neck chip. Looks a little bit more like this:

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've never heard that Trump drank before. I was always left with the impression that he never did when he was young either other then at formal events (like toasting a glass of wine).

There was a report from a bartender at one of Trump's properties that he got served a lot in the 90s. I'll see if I can find it; it was news last week when Trump told everyone how great he was for never drinking.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

WHO? World Health Organization? Haven't seen any mention of that.

White House Office.  Sorry, occupational hazard.  It's commonly used to differentiate from the EOP, or Executive Office of the President.

The mere suggestion of appointing Kevin Warsh as chairman of the FED was a joke.

John Taylor is better as he has more credentials.

But, Taylor has been incoherent over the last several years.

The likely reason, Taylor has been incoherent is cause he just decided to play team Republican.

When the shit hits the fan, and you make the wrong call, you don’t deserve the job.

Glasner isn’t a Keynesian. He thinks monetary policy can get always restore full employment. I’d quibble with that, but Glasner often says really interesting and smart stuff.

Anyway, about Taylor’s playin’ team Republican:

t seems that an announcement about who will be appointed as Fed Chairman after Janet Yellen’s terms expires early next year is imminent. Although there are sources in the Administration, e.g., the President, indicating that Janet Yellen may be reappointed, the betting odds strongly favor Jerome Powell, a Republican currently serving as a member of the Board of Governors, over the better-known contender, John Taylor, who has earned a considerable reputation as an academic economist, largely as author of the so-called Taylor Rule, and has also served as a member of the Council of Economic Advisers and the Treasury in previous Republican administrations.

Taylor’s support seems to be drawn from the more militant ideological factions within the Republican Party owing to his past criticism of Fed’s quantitative-easing policy after the financial crisis and little depression, having famously predicted that quantitative easing would revive dormant inflationary pressures, presaging a return to the stagflation of the 1970s, while Powell, who has supported the Fed’s policies under Bernanke and Yellen, is widely suspect in the eyes of the Republican base as a just another elitist establishmentarian inhabiting the swamp that the new administration was elected to drain. 

If Taylor is nominated to be Chairman or Vice-Chairman of the Fed, I hope that, during his confirmation hearings, he will be asked to explain what the implications of following the Taylor Rule would have been in the post-2003 period.

Taylor’s implicit argument is that by not raising interest rates as rapidly as the Taylor rule required, the Fed created additional uncertainty that was damaging to the economy. But what was the nature of the uncertainty created? The Federal Funds rate is merely the instrument of policy, not the goal of policy. To argue that the Fed was creating additional uncertainty by not changing its interest rate in line with the Taylor rule would only make sense if the economic agents care about how the instrument is set, but if it is an instrument the importance of the Fed Funds rate is derived entirely from its usefulness in achieving the policy goal of the Fed and the policy goal was the 2% inflation rate, which the Fed came extremely close to hitting in the 2004-06 period, during which Taylor alleges that the Fed’s monetary policy went off the rails and became random, unpredictable and chaotic.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

White House Office.  Sorry, occupational hazard.  It's commonly used to differentiate from the EOP, or Executive Office of the President.

Ah, my bad, I hadn't seen that acronym other than for the World Health Organization. It doesn't look like he worked for the White House in any direct capacity after Trump was elected (or at least according to his Wiki page)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Papadopoulos

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

There was a report from a bartender at one of Trump's properties that he got served a lot in the 90s. I'll see if I can find it; it was news last week when Trump told everyone how great he was for never drinking.

The story I've always hear Donald relate, long before he ran for office, is that he stopped drinking after his brother died.  I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't entirely telling the truth here, but honestly I don't really care.  Dude behaves like a drunk anyway.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But yes, his diet is awful. I heard one of his closest friends say that Trump is at his happiest when he's at home, in a bathrobe, eating an entire meatloaf by himself while watching T.V.

How does sleep deprivation affect his health? Trump always looks like he's only slept for a few hours no matter when you see him, and people on the campaign trail openly wondered if he ever actually slept. 

One can't of course answer such a question about a particular individual with certainty, but regularly getting less than six hours of sleep a night probably is another negative factor for most anyone's health and longevity:

http://fortune.com/2017/09/25/sleep-deprivation-health-longevity/

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/lifespan-linked-to-sleep/

http://www.nyhq.org/diw/Content.asp?PageID=DIW010083

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Hmm, I had never heard about that. I had always read that he avoided the stuff from a young age.

Either way though I'd be shocked if he didn't dance with the white lady during the 80's. Lord knows everyone around him during the time was. 

5 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

The story I've always hear Donald relate, long before he ran for office, is that he stopped drinking after his brother died.  I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't entirely telling the truth here, but honestly I don't really care.  Dude behaves like a drunk anyway.

Hell, the man needs to have a drink and a puff to chill the f down. 
@Pony Queen Jace, hook him up. It's your patriotic duty! 

11 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

A Board member said she was a bartender in the 90s and served him many times.

Archived