US Politics: Mueller Monday

Mexal

I've been reading speculation that Papadopoulis may have been wearing a wire sometime in the last few months. Attorney Seth Abramson gives his take:

I'll make a second post to include the rest.

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

That almost impugns the integrity of drunks.

As an admitted drunk, you're telling me!

1 minute ago, Trebla said:

I've been reading speculation that Papadopoulis may have been wearing a wire sometime in the last few months. Attorney Seth Abramson gives his take:

I'll make a second post to include the rest.

I think it's interesting that according to all that I can find, Papa Roach never held any official position in the administration yet was identified as part of the "National Security Team" in that March photo by Trump himself.  This seems related to placing Bannon on the NSC and, at least for a time, taking the CJCS and DNI off the principals committee, at least in terms of the permanence.  As an institutionalist, this always concerned me.  I don't expect it to gain much attention, but it's another very concerning example of Trump's advisory structure on matters of life and death for the entire world.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Dunno about that.  He was arrested in July, right?  Been busy today but if so being wired doesn't really make sense.

He wouldn't have been wearing a wire during any events that transpired before he was arrested, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't have worn a wire after then but before now, and there's no reason that I know of to think that nothing incriminating couldn't have been said to him in the intervening time. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Who would have been stupid enough to talk to him after he'd been arrested?

In this administration? Lulz. I wouldn't take anyone off the table outside of maybe Kelly or McMaster. And I would think he'd have been arrested on the sly. I would tend to doubt this was done in a very public way.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Who would have been stupid enough to talk to him after he'd been arrested?

This was my initial reaction.  But upon realization that he was never officially employed by the administration I'm not so sure.  I mean, I assume the White House would have been notified - think it might have been a requirement - if he was on their payroll upon arrest.  But since he wasn't, and never was?  I think there's more opportunity for subterfuge because there's no responsibility to notify anyone.

16 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

This was my initial reaction.  But upon realization that he was never officially employed by the administration I'm not so sure.  I mean, I assume the White House would have been notified - think it might have been a requirement - if he was on their payroll upon arrest.  But since he wasn't, and never was?  I think there's more opportunity for subterfuge because there's no responsibility to notify anyone.

Also note: people are WAY dumber in real life than they are on TV/Movies. Even the basic concept of someone wearing a wire after an arrest might have been so incredibly alien to them that they'd not consider it. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I guess I was under the impression that we already knew that Papadopoulos had been arrested, that it was public knowledge?  My mind is making shit up now.

I imagine it was probably public record, but I can't find anything about it being reported on. Like he just entered all of these Trump Campaign/Russian Collusion Timelines today. I guess that kind of speaks to his relative lack of importance within the campaign, so I suppose that's not promising.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I imagine it was probably public record, but I can't find anything about it being reported on. Like he just entered all of these Trump Campaign/Russian Collusion Timelines today. I guess that kind of speaks to his relative lack of importance within the campaign, so I suppose that's not promising.

I'm pretty sure it was kept on the down low; in one statement earlier today there was a specific request to a judge stating that this be exempt from FOIA records because it is a small part of a much bigger matter.

Also, until Flynn flips I don't think we have anything.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I guess I was under the impression that we already knew that Papadopoulos had been arrested, that it was public knowledge?  My mind is making shit up now.

It was not public knowledge.  Perhaps the Trump team knew, but it's entirely possible they didn't.  And based on the competence of this administration, I'm leaning heavily towards they didn't.  There's a very clear reason why Papa Shango's arrest and cooperation were unsealed by Mueller today along with the Manafort and Gates indictments:  play ball and you'll get probation.  Don't and it's balls to the wall.

27 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It doesn't really matter if Papadopoulos was a small fry in the campaign, so long as he is able to get within ear shot of more important people saying incriminating things he's useful. Even if those more important people are just middling in the Trump camp, if the Feds get their mitts on those middle people then they can snitch on even higher ups.

But if the Russian Mob is tied up in this, at some point up the chain I think people will be more afraid of going swimming in the Potomac with concrete shoes than doing time in a minimum security federal prison. And of course a presidential pardon is in the offing if they keep their mouth shut, but not if they roll.

https://promarket.org/un-study-warns-growing-economic-concentration-leads-rentier-capitalism/

Earlier this year, a Stigler Center paper by Luigi Zingales [Faculty Director of the Stigler Center and one of the editors of this blog] argued that market concentration can lead to a vicious circle, in which companies use market power to gain political power that in turn allows them to gain more market power, and vice versa. 

A new UN report shows that this vicious circle is now a prominent feature of the global economy. Thirty years of hyperglobalization, according to the report, have led to sharp increases in global market concentration and a proliferation of rentierism, whereby the world’s largest corporations attempt to protect their market power through a variety of rent-seeking activities, such as lobbying or systematic abuse of intellectual property laws. While many of these companies are headquartered in the United States, the “endemic rent-seeking that stems from market concentration, heightened corporate power, and regulatory capture” has spread much further, leading to the emergence of “global rentier capitalism.”

Nevertheless, says Blankenburg, “the data show very clearly that the means used to obtain these profits cannot be reduced to the use of productive technologies.” Other mechanisms, such as lobbying or mergers and acquisitions, the authors find, have played a significant role in enhancing the market power of dominant companies. “You can show quite clearly how surplus profits increase with mergers and acquisitions, or how changes in regulation that favor control over intellectual property rights for large corporations have a pretty-instant impact on the profit performance of those companies,” she adds. Regulatory capture is a significant factor as well, as many of these regulatory changes are driven by governments and international institutions which are increasingly influenced by large corporations.

Throughout history, Blankenburg notes, economists and political theorists, from Adam Smith to John Maynard Keynes, have raised concerns that capitalism has a tendency to be captured by rentiers. The UNCTAD report echoes these historical concerns. “Rentier capitalism means that there isn’t just a few annoying rentiers in some countries that a bit of government intervention can rein in or neutralize,” says Blankenburg. “It is becoming an endemic part of capitalism, a new normal—at least for powerful corporations.”

The authors offer several remedies to tackle the rise of market power, among them tougher antitrust enforcement, the revision of existing trade agreements (and avoidance of signing new ones), and labor market interventions that focus on reducing inequality. “A good start,” they write, “would be to recognize that both knowledge and competition are first and foremost global public goods, and that their manipulation for private profit should be effectively regulated.”

At this point I don't see what's stopping Trump from killing the investigation simply by pardoning each indicted person.  Though that still leaves past testimony to contend with....and there is that pesky 5th ammendment thing...

26 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's pretty clear that people didn't know he was arrested. If they did, it would have been leaked.

I think I was thinking about the Manafort home raid.  I got mixed up.  So many crooked people surrounding Trump, it's hard to keep track.

Archived