NFL 2017-18 Playoffs: circling the wagons

DanteGabriel

DISCLAIMER: I hate Ben Rothlesberger. 

Fuck Ben Rothlesberger.  Okay, not exactly; fuck the commentators trying to make Big Ben seem heroic in this loss.  Sure, its great that the Steelers never-said-die.  But while Big Ben threw for 469 yards and 5 TDs, he also committed two turnovers that lead directly to 14 points which was MORE than the difference in the game.  Had Big Ben not forced things or protected the ball better or MAYBE EVEN not committed that final penalty at the end, MAYBE the Steelers would have had an easier time of things.  

Also, how much of this blame falls on Tomlin and the culture he engenders?  The free-wheeling, free-talking, player-first atmosphere that he seems to foster?  Two players- Bell was one of them - made comments or posts that showed that the Steelers were looking past the Jags and to the Pats.  And that worked out well for them, right? The Steelers are one of the most talented teams in Football; they had the #2 seed, a vet QB, an experienced coaching staff and what do they have to show for it?  A valiant loss? 

This feels like a "heads-will-role" playoff loss.  Not Tomlin per se but ... holy shit... you gave up 45 points to Blane Bartlet!!! 

What a great, strange game. Just perfect that that last futile extra point doinked through. So many boneheaded decisions by Pittsburgh, almost balanced out by the sheer virtuosity of Roethlisberger and Brown. I'm still glad they're not coming into Gillette next week.

I was pretty happy to see the Jags beating the Steelers early on, because I assumed the Jags would be easier to beat, but that defense is tough and Bortles was competent-to-good. Certainly good enough to take advantage of the holes in the Patriots' defense.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Pittsburgh to kick the field goal once they were in easy range - giving them the maximum time trying to get a single score - rather than pissing around to get the touchdown then, leaving only a second?

1 minute ago, Horse of Kent said:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for Pittsburgh to kick the field goal once they were in easy range - giving them the maximum time trying to get a single score - rather than pissing around to get the touchdown then, leaving only a second?

Yes

I'd just like to say, I know it's in jest but the people suggesting Bortles is going to get paid for this little run are not taking Coughlin into account.

If there was one man in the NFL I was going to expect not to get Flacco'd by a bad QB playing basic football, it's Tom Coughlin.

Bortles' agent is going to be all like "Well, my client lead this team to the AFC Championship game."

To which Coughlin will say "No."

Ok, off topic a bit but is the NFL nervous as hell? Imagine a Jacksonville vs Minnesota Super bowl! The ratings would likely be shit, heck even a Wentz less Eagle vs Jacksonville has to scare the ad executives.  I don't see either matchup happening because, well, NE... but still.

I think you're underestimating the draw of the Superbowl. I think two fresh teams in the game would be huge. I know you're all going to throw stats at me about something or other, but it's just my feeling for the current climate. 

Meanwhile, nice pick by Sendejo.

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I think you're underestimating the draw of the Superbowl. I think two fresh teams in the game would be huge. I know you're all going to throw stats at me about something or other, but it's just my feeling for the current climate. 

Meanwhile, nice pick by Sendejo.

Two fresh teams that don't exactly draw huge ratings, in the Super Bowl, in a time where NFL ratings aren't doing so great? Hmmmm

16 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Two fresh teams that don't exactly draw huge ratings, in the Super Bowl, in a time where NFL ratings aren't doing so great? Hmmmm

I think that people would be excited by a Superbowl that isn't dominated by the Pats or one of a few AFC teams that keep making it in perpituity.

Have you considered the possibility that one of the reason younger people are having trouble investing because all they've ever known is the Patriots in the superbowl with rare appearances by the same three teams from the AFC?

10 fanbases (in the AFC alone!) haven't just not gotten to see their team compete for the title, they haven't even gotten to see their team be given a fair shot with the continued existence of the Pats, Mannings, Steelers, and occasionally Ravens being expected to take the top two or three seeds every year and pretty much always doing so.

Think about it, when's the last time that a team not named New England, Pittsburgh, Manning, or Baltimore was even in the AFC Championship game?

ETA: Just to be clear, the Colts don't count. They weren't the Mannings at the time, but their fanbase already had a successful team representing them in Manning.

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I think that people would be excited by a Superbowl that isn't dominated by the Pats or one of a few AFC teams that keep making it in perpituity.

Have you considered the possibility that one of the reason younger people are having trouble investing because all they've ever known is the Patriots in the superbowl with rare appearances by the same three teams from the AFC?

10 fanbases (in the AFC alone!) haven't just not gotten to see their team compete for the title, they haven't even gotten to see their team be given a fair shot with the continued existence of the Pats, Mannings, Steelers, and occasionally Ravens being expected to take the top two or three seeds every year and pretty much always doing so.

Think about it, when's the last time that a team not named New England, Pittsburgh, Manning, or Baltimore was even in the AFC Championship game?

ETA: Just to be clear, the Colts don't count. They weren't the Mannings at the time, but their fanbase already had a successful team representing them in Manning.

I don't even slightly believe that. The Patriots are the big bad Evil Empire of the NFL. Variety is only good if the alternatives are equally interesting.

The other teams you mentioned have big fanbases and big names and the fact that teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota get almost no press despite being good teams says a lot.

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

I don't even slightly believe that. The Patriots are the big bad Evil Empire of the NFL. Variety is only good if the alternatives are equally interesting.

The other teams you mentioned have big fanbases and big names and the fact that teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota get almost no press despite being good teams says a lot.

You don't think it's possible that part of the reason why those teams don't get all the press is because they haven't been in the SB in living memory?

You don't think that if the Jags won the Superbowl we'd find out this offseason about all of the Jags' faithful that still showed up through the dark times and now sell out the pool?

I think you underestimate the engagement of your average viewer. Not fan, mind you. Viewer. If the Jags or Vikings make the Superbowl housewives around the state they're from who have never tuned into a football game in their lives will host Superbowl parties for their impotent husbands to ingratiate himself to their boss or employees by hosting a 'Masculine' event. They won't be able to keep Jerseys from either of those teams in stock. I put my completely worthless reputation on it.

The Super Bowl is one of the biggest television events of the season. It has had at least 70 million viewers since 1990 and has been above 100 million since 2009. Even if there is a dip in ratings, it will still be one of the highest rated  programs for the year. There is a reason why ost networks don't bother scheduling anything against. They know they will lose. As far as Jacksonville vs. Minneapolis goes, Jacksonville is the 12th largest city in America and the game itself is in Minneapolis. The NFL isn't nervous.

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You don't think it's possible that part of the reason why those teams don't get all the press is because they haven't been in the SB in living memory?

You don't think that if the Jags won the Superbowl we'd find out this offseason about all of the Jags' faithful that still showed up through the dark times and now sell out the pool?

I think you underestimate the engagement of your average viewer. Not fan, mind you. Viewer. If the Jags or Vikings make the Superbowl housewives around the state they're from who have never tuned into a football game in their lives will host Superbowl parties for their impotent husbands to ingratiate himself to their boss or employees by hosting a 'Masculine' event. They won't be able to keep Jerseys from either of those teams in stock. I put my completely worthless reputation on it.

No, I don't, because when I look at teams such as Seattle and New Orleans (who both won Super Bowls) and then look at how the NFL fanbase in general has looked at them since, I don't see a huge influx of new fans.

11 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

No, I don't, because when I look at teams such as Seattle and New Orleans (who both won Super Bowls) and then look at how the NFL fanbase in general has looked at them since, I don't see a huge influx of new fans.

Are you kidding me!?! I'll give you New Orleans I guess, maybe but not really, because they already had a weirdly passionate fanbase that was fervent as fuck. But are you kidding me with that Seattle shit!?! How many Richard Sherman or Wilson or Lynch shirts have you seen compared to other teams? Me, it's a fucking lot. (People wear sports jerseys to the hospital, it's a thing) And I'm not just talking locally, as I live in Washington but am not a Seattle fan, I'm talking about when I'm on vacation or traveling for work too.

I think you're very wrong.

14 minutes ago, sperry said:

The Super Bowl isn't a football game. It's a holiday. Nobody bases their decision whether or not to watch on who is playing. 

Have to disagree to an extent. NFL fans are watching no matter what, it's the casual or just along for the party fans that can swing the ratings needle. I don't see how a Jacksonville vs Minnesotta SB would be equal in viewership to a  Dallas vs New England SB.  

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Have to disagree to an extent. NFL fans are watching no matter what, it's the casual or just along for the party fans that can swing the ratings needle. I don't see how a Jacksonville vs Minnesotta SB would be equal in viewership to a  Dallas vs New England SB.  

Because like you said, those fans are just along for the party. Super Bowl viewership is so all-encompassing that people who don't even know the game of football want to watch. They can't even tell you what is happening on the screen, they sure as shit don't care what teams are playing.

In fact, would hazard a guess that the halftime entertainer is a significantly more important factor in overall ratings than the teams playing. 

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Because like you said, those fans are just along for the party. Super Bowl viewership is so all-encompassing that people who don't even know the game of football want to watch. They can't even tell you what is happening on the screen, they sure as shit don't care what teams are playing.

In fact, would hazard a guess that the halftime entertainer is a significantly more important factor in overall ratings than the teams playing. 

I agree with this.

And why is Mike Thomas antagonizing the crowd 1 play after knocking a dude senseless?

Archived