US Politics: March Madness

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, I hope it’s not lost on anyone that world class tax fraud and cheat Donald Trump is complaining about Amazon not paying enough taxes. If WaPo runs that headline, we’ll have narrowed down who is the snake in our midst.

Pointing out every Trump contradictionary and hypocrisy is an unending task that is soul draining at a certain point. It is fine to point to any Trump supporter who is trying to point out some Liberal/Leftist/Democrat hypocrisy or whatever point they think they are making. I was confident most posters on these boards were keenly knowing of Trump prior boast.

MM

A Response on point two will be sometime. On point three will be Federal since it is the one that deal with the whole Nation.

2 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

But that's not a reason to go after them from a tax perspective.  And look there are lots of companies out there who aren't great to their workers and ship too much.  I mean, forget about retail (though remember that Walmart exists), and think of all the petrochemical companies.  Actually, think about your groceries.  Do you eat 100% local and seaonsal?  I'm not saying that we shouldn't all be better stewards of the Earth and that maybe as an ethical matter we should think more about that and also OSHA and fair wage and hour laws (we probably should though we might not always like the long term implications of what we find).  But to attack Amazon alone for a systemic problem with modern life in the US is absurd.

Well, exactly.  

Well, my statement was more of a rant about Amazon rather than the tax stuff. I work for a company that uses significant amounts of fossil fuels, and most companies (including Walmart! They have actually taken significant sustainability initiatives) have realized the impending threat of global warming and are taking steps to mitigate their footprint. and move towards more renewable sources. Half my time at work is spent facilitating GHG mitigation efforts, as a matter of fact (for instance, reducing food waste by packaging would be something we try to do).

So even in the context of companies, there are good actors and bad actors; I think Amazon is tending towards the latter when it comes to sustainability. I dont think they issued sustainability reports until very recently, but it is also true that things may be changing there....

Anyway, probably off topic so I'll stop here.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/conservative-economists-turning-back-to-debt-hysteria.html

Conservative Economists Turning Back to Debt Hysteria

Now that the Trump tax cuts have passed, though, they have pivoted to a message of deep concern about rising debt. Boskin, Cochrane, Cogan, Shultz, and John B. Taylor have written another op-ed. It applauds the tax cuts and calls for more. Yet it warns that the failure to cut social spending will lead to catastrophe. Including higher interest rates:

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, my statement was more of a rant about Amazon rather than the tax stuff. I work for a company that uses significant amounts of fossil fuels, and most companies (including Walmart! They have actually taken significant sustainability initiatives) have realized the impending threat of global warming and are taking steps to mitigate their footprint. and move towards more renewable sources. Half my time at work is spent facilitating GHG mitigation efforts, as a matter of fact (for instance, reducing food waste by packaging would be something we try to do).

So even in the context of companies, there are good actors and bad actors; I think Amazon is tending towards the latter when it comes to sustainability. I dont think they issued sustainability reports until very recently, but it is also true that things may be changing there....

Anyway, probably off topic so I'll stop here.

Oh sure.  Makes sense.  They may very well be the very worst on that.  I'm sure you are well more knowledgeable on that front.

3 hours ago, Week said:

Paying taxes is considered a punitive (or an act by stupid people*) by republicans. Taxes should be as low as possible unless you are a left leaning state, corporation, individual, etc.

*edited to adjust for Trump's previous lies about his** brilliant use of the tax code.
**Actually done by a team of tax accountants

Lolz. The question I'm always left with is when are taxes low enough? Assuming Democrats never raise them again, will they just keep cutting every time they think it's time to juice the market and/or for political gain? 

3 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Pointing out every Trump contradictionary and hypocrisy is an unending task that is soul draining at a certain point. It is fine to point to any Trump supporter who is trying to point out some Liberal/Leftist/Democrat hypocrisy or whatever point they think they are making. I was confident most posters on these boards were keenly knowing of Trump prior boast.

Well to be fair, that isn't unique to just Trump. I don't want to say all, but a great deal of the Republican platform is a self contradicting document. For example, *puts on Republican hat*, "We're pro-life, and it's one of the most important things we stand for! But we're not going to help you moochers once the baby is born, and if that baby is a victim of police brutality, he had it coming. We might also have to use the death penalty for something he did, especially if he's a minority. Oh, and we might start a lot of pointless wars, so don't be surprised if we ship him off to kill others and possibly be killed himself. And of course if none of this happens, we're still going to make sure he comes of age in society with excessive amounts of easily to obtained firearms. But yeah, we're pro-life baby!"

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well to be fair, that isn't unique to just Trump. I don't want to say all, but a great deal of the Republican platform is a self contradicting document. For example, *puts on Republican hat*, "We're pro-life, and it's one of the most important things we stand for! But we're not going to help you moochers once the baby is born, and if that baby is a victim of police brutality, he had it coming. We might also have to use the death penalty for something he did, especially if he's a minority. Oh, and we might start a lot of pointless wars, so don't be surprised if we ship him off to kill others and possibly be killed himself. And of course if none of this happens, we're still going to make sure he comes of age in society with excessive amounts of easily to obtained firearms. But yeah, we're pro-life baby!"

It is not unique to Trump but his entire schtick is one that definitely sticks out huge blinky gaudy lights. I do think many people perfectly understand he totally contradict himself nearly every moment and yet what he does has such a truthiness that many do not care and give no concern for it. 

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is lazy, contemptible bullshit, and exactly the kind of callow dipshittery that makes people suspect your intentions.

There are good journalists out there doing good work. They just aren't on TV much. Don't mistake your ignorance for proof of non-existence.

I could be wrong here but,  I don't think dipshittery is a real word Dante . :)

20 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If you gotta ask, you just don't get it.

Yes Jace, I do actually get it

My comment was more directed at the Cable news.  The dominant news is cable and its 24 hour a day we need to  fed the ratings monster .  It doesn't seem particularly  hospitable to to good old fashion mundane tell the facts and let the readers decide for them selves journalisms.  And before you say anything. Yes Im well are that sensationalized journalism  has always been with us  in some ways shape of form

On 3/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, GAROVORKIN said:
On 3/28/2018 at 4:05 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Why are you gunning for WaPo? Do you really think shit's going to get better if we lose one of the better journalistic outlets in the US? 

What we have are empty media  personalities and talking heads and scrip readers. Journalists went extinct long ago.

27 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Yes Jace, I do actually get it

My comment was more directed at the Cable news.  The dominant news is cable and its 24 hour a day we need to  fed the ratings monster .  It doesn't seem particularly  hospitable to to good old fashion mundane tell the facts and let the readers decide for them selves journalisms.  And before you say anything. Yes Im well are that sensationalized journalism  has always been with us  in some ways shape of form

Nobody was talking about cable news. The discussion was about Trump's co-mingled attacks on Amazon and WaPo. Your response is completely irrelevant and nonsensical in the context of the ongoing thread -- which is why people often vent such anger and frustration in your general direction.

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Nobody was talking about cable news. The discussion was about Trump's co-mingled attacks on Amazon and WaPo. Your response is completely irrelevant and nonsensical in the context of the ongoing thread -- which is why people often vent such anger and frustration in your general direction.

It's a cover for his baseless attacks on journalism in general. Now the guy who is ignorant about every topic he seeks to comment on is a serious consumer of Real Journalism.

12 minutes ago, Week said:

My bad then. apologies. I saw a comment and drew a wrong conclusion . 

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's a cover for his baseless attacks on journalism in general. Now the guy who is ignorant about every topic he seeks to comment on is a serious consumer of Real Journalism.

Have you  ever heard of Plato's  allegory Dante ?

8 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

My bad then. apologies. I saw a comment and drew a wrong conclusion . 

2 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Have Ever read Platos  allegory Dante ?

Just ... sit out a couple plays there tiger*. I don't think that you are at your best. 

*sea-lion :hat:

4 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Perhaps I should .

And for umpteenth time,  the term is Godwin not. Sea lions .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage that asserts that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1";[2][3] that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds. Promulgated by the American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990,[2] Godwin's law originally referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions.[4] It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric[5][6]where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.

1 minute ago, Week said:

Ive been in threads e thread where a give topic get off the rails and someone  or bunt of poster  would use the expeseeion Godwin,  I never bothered to ever look up the definition. This  made  glaringly  incorrect assumption of what it meant. :(

I do  have tendency to make assumptions and crazy leaps of logic . In this case, off a steep  cliff .

1 minute ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Ive been in threads e thread where a give topic get off the rails and someone  or bunt of poster  would use the expeseeion Godwin,  I never bothered to ever look up the definition. This  made  glaringly  incorrect assumption of what it meant. :(

I do  have tendency to make assumptions and crazy leaps of logic . In this case, off a steep  cliff .

In light of yet another pretty basic breakdown of your understanding of, well, anything, you might want to reconsider where your Plato reference was going to go.

Archived