The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

17 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That would be a GREAT idea, doing book 4 as a traditional 3 acts movie! You could easily wrangle it into a tight 2 hours, but since they're a streaming service doing a 3 hour film with an intermission would be pretty effective too.

Haha i was way off.  Sounds like that they'll just be attending Dragon Con.  :dunno:  Sorry for the excessive hype.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I tried to pace myself, couldn't, it's just too exciting.

Yeah I think it has really gotten so much better. I found season 1 dragged a bit and took me a long time to get into, S2 was an improvement, but S3 is really just knocking it out of the park, I can't stop thinking about it. The whole scope of the show has "Expanded"

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah I think it has really gotten so much better. I found season 1 dragged a bit and took me a long time to get into, S2 was an improvement, but S3 is really just knocking it out of the park, I can't stop thinking about it. The whole scope of the show has "Expanded"

Kind of like the books.  The first book is good, but man is it a slow burn.  I feel like the later books are like runaway freight trains where crazy shit is happening left and right but the first couple are very slow paced.

Yeah, I’m watching season 3 now and I agree, it’s a lot better than the first two (which were both decent but not really great). Abaddon’s Gate was where I stopped reading, so I’ll probably finish up the series before I pick up the books again.

I think the show works better than the books at this point as well - the books always felt like they were a bit small, and the show really gives the sense of absurd scale for what's going on. The portals and weirdness was especially true there, where it really did feel like it could be the end of humans and fighting for that was a Big Deal. 

They've really hit their stride as far as figuring how how to tell things and what works. I think that's probably true of most book adaptations to shows - GOT, Magicians, Expanse all took a while to figure out how to tell the story in the visual medium. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I think the show works better than the books at this point as well - the books always felt like they were a bit small, and the show really gives the sense of absurd scale for what's going on. The portals and weirdness was especially true there, where it really did feel like it could be the end of humans and fighting for that was a Big Deal. 

They've really hit their stride as far as figuring how how to tell things and what works. I think that's probably true of most book adaptations to shows - GOT, Magicians, Expanse all took a while to figure out how to tell the story in the visual medium. 

I think Game of Thrones pretty much had it down right from the start, but stumbled a bit when they got to books four and five and had to start making a bunch of shit up because there was just way too much going on and it had to be streamlined significantly.  The main thing that's improved with GOT is that the budget finally got to the point where they could really do the battles justice.  

Watch the Battle of the Blackwater and then that battle outside of King's Landing or Hardhome and it's night and day.  Hell, even the Battle of Castle Black looks significantly better and it was only like a season or two after Blackwater.

Season 2 definitely went better than 1. S2 was when they started being more trusting of what they could and couldn't do in the show compared to the book. S1 is the most loyal to the books, of course - but S2 is where they started (rightly) doing their own thing.

The same is somewhat true of the Expanse. The Expanse also has a lot of setup that was background for s1 and s2 (like doing Avasarala in S1, which wasn't even in the first book), and the result was sometimes a bit slow pace. Which they've basically said to hell with that and went full speed ahead and then some. 

They've also leaned into some of the more popular characters on the show, like Amos and Bobbie, and given them a lot more meat than the books. Amos in particular. 

The worst thing about Season 3 is whats-her-face from LOST.

But regarding episode 6 the final confrontation with Errinwright and the Secretary General is one of my favorite scenes. I really dig the dead eyed actor who plays Sadavir.

30 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You dont like Anna? I really love her. Another example of a better show than book character. Amos and Anna's scenes in particular were amazing. 

I've always loathed that actor. She's just awful to me. Sucks all energy and charisma from a scene. The aforementioned Errinwright scene is the only one where she adds to the show instead of detracting, and that's because she just sits there while he implodes and Sec-Gen Sorrento-Gillis portrays a human windmill.

Of course that's just me.

Lots of people love Damon Lindeloff shit too. I'm an egalitarian at heart. Peoples' blind fucking idiocy is not reason to condemn them.

Well, I think Lindelof sucks, but I liked her in that role, and more importantly I suppose I liked Anna a lot. I think it's rare to see a person of faith who is not some cynical asshole along side a lot of those cynical assholes, and I thought they did a good job. I really liked the mormon that Miller talked to in S1 for that reason too - a person that was entirely fine with people mocking them or making fun, because they were entirely self-secure in their place in the universe. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Well, I think Lindelof sucks, but I liked her in that role, and more importantly I suppose I liked Anna a lot. I think it's rare to see a person of faith who is not some cynical asshole along side a lot of those cynical assholes, and I thought they did a good job. I really liked the mormon that Miller talked to in S1 for that reason too - a person that was entirely fine with people mocking them or making fun, because they were entirely self-secure in their place in the universe. 

I liked that mormon guy too. I would have rather he make a reappearance and usurp Anna's role.

Seriously though, all joking honestly aside, can we fucking stop with this 'person of faith' thing? What is that? Where is that coming from? Stop it. As a friend I ask you to stop that.

Archived