Round of 16: : LET THE (Knockout) GAMES BEGIN!

8 minutes ago, The BelgianBear said:

ha, ha, No.

The so called Celtic countries are pretty supportive of each other. But after that it's 'Anyone But England.' A pub near me are doing a pound off drinks when someone scores against England.

Ha, that's funny. I am planning a 6 week trip to Europe in a year or two, and one of the things that's definitely on the check list is watching soccer in an English pub. 

Also, in my personal record book, all the Englishmen who celebrated Murray winning Wimbledon are frauds. It's still been 82 years since a proper Englishman has won that title.

:P 

3 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Also, in my personal record book, all the Englishmen who celebrated Murray winning Wimbledon are frauds. It's still been 82 years since a proper Englishman has won that title.

It's interesting, when he's winning he's British, when he's losing he's Scottish.

7 minutes ago, The BelgianBear said:

It's interesting, when he's winning he's British, when he's losing he's Scottish.

Yeah, I've heard that line several times. 

And I see there's a chance your Belgium will face my England in the Finals. The only difference is your side of the bracket has the four best teams left while mine has teams that easily should have lost in the group stage. You hear that @Yukle, Croatia is going down! Putin will see to it! And England will cruise to the Finals.

All glory goes to England!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

As an outsider, I would have guessed UK countries would root for each other if their own team is out of it.

God no. 

If England win I think I'll move back home to Wales(live in England atm) 

They're terrible winners.

15 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

And I see there's a chance your Belgium will face my England in the Finals. 

All glory goes to England!!!!!!

You seem to have forgotten what happened the last time we met. 0-1 I believe it went, and that was a dead rubber. That was just a taste, Fee-fi-fo-fum-I-forget-how-it-goes-but-England-lose.

4 minutes ago, The BelgianBear said:

You seem to have forgotten what happened the last time we met. 0-1 I believe it went, and that was a dead rubber. That was just a taste, Fee-fi-fo-fum-I-forget-how-it-goes-but-England-lose.

If we have to believe the British media, it was all part of the plan... :dunno: 

And they looked kind of proud of it (a little too much IMO)

23 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

God no. 

If England win I think I'll move back home to Wales(live in England atm) 

They're terrible winners.

I thought the whole joke is they never win though, so who cares? Anyways, I just kind of assumed you UK lot rooted for one another, but clearly you hate each other more than Minnesotans and Wisconsinites hate each other.

19 minutes ago, The BelgianBear said:

We're 15-3-4 against you. You plebs, we fear not! 

34 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

I thought the whole joke is they never win though, so who cares? Anyways, I just kind of assumed you UK lot rooted for one another, but clearly you hate each other more than Minnesotans and Wisconsinites hate each other.

We're 15-3-4 against you. You plebs, we fear not! 

There's not hard and fast rule for thes things

From what I understand, African countries will root for each other.

East Asian countries, maybe. Asian-Americans may root for whatever Asian country, but I suspect things are a bit different in Asia.

I have a lot of Norwegian colleagues, and they mostly say they root for the other Scandinavian countries, though a fair few say they won't root for Sweden.

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

If we have to believe the British media, it was all part of the plan... :dunno: 

And they looked kind of proud of it (a little too much IMO)

Well, your team is a better than ours and would likely have won anyway but losing that game really was sensible for us in the circumstances. Belgium has much more chance of defeating Brazil, France or Uruguay, whilst we actually stand a good chance against Sweden, Russia or Croatia. No doubt we'll still mess it up but this is the best chance to reach the final I've ever seen, and had we ended up in your side of the draw that simply wouldn't be the case.

Fuck off Colombia and good riddance.  What a shower of truculent shitheads.  I was so happy they lost.  They can play football if they want to, but they spend more time fouling, shithousing and haranguing the referee. 

The ref lost control of that.  I have some sympathy for him that if five or six Colombians are holding up play for several minutes and pointedly ignoring all directions to retreat, the ref is reluctant to start handing out cards because he knows that means red for at least one of them and he’s afraid that ruins the game.  But the game was ruined once he didn’t stand up to them.  The ref bottled it and the game descended into absolute farce.  

England weren’t great.  It doesn’t help that the game was spoiled with fouls and time-wasting, they still weren’t great.  Sterling had a good first 20 minutes but was hit and miss after that; still, an improvement he can build on.  Alli was mostly useless again; I’ll be generous and ascribe it to carrying an injury but he’s been poor for much of the season already.  Lingard had a good middle third of the match with lots of good movement but then went missing for the remainder.  Kane was excellent as a crash test dummy to draw more fouls than Neymar but we never got to see what he could do unmolested.  Walker almost gifted another goal.  The set pieces became predictable and ineffective.  For a young team, rested against Belgium, they looked knackered in extra time and were hanging on pretty listlessly.  Dier was lumbering and useless but at least his penalty bailed out Henderson. 

My DVR rebelled and refused to record Sweden vs Switzerland.  I would have preferred that it skip one of Sunday’s games instead.  If it happens again then Comcast will feel my wrath.  

8 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Life. 

But yeah I really hope they get knocked out soon otherwise its going to be insufferable. 

I hope they get knocked out in the 1/4 finals or win it. I was on duty last night and for the semis and final. Someone else can clean that shit up. 

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope they get knocked out in the 1/4 finals or win it. I was on duty last night and for the semis and final. Someone else can clean that shit up. 

Preston Town centre was fucking bonkers. Flares fireworks just carnage. 

10 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

As an outsider, I would have guessed UK countries would root for each other if their own team is out of it.

I'm a Northern Irishman, and I support England when they play in the World Cup.

I follow English football; I read about and watch football through English media and broadcasters, so, in a sense, I feel I know more about English football than Northern Irish football. I have an opinion on who the English managers should call up for their squads, but couldn't name you 23 players for the Northern Irish manager to call up. 

Northern Ireland traditionally don't qualify for tournaments anyway, so have to get our kicks from somewhere.

And we share a national anthem with England. 

34 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Does anyone in Ireland actually consider that song as their national anthem?

Certainly not the case in Wales.

Unfortunately, in Northern Ireland, we don't have an official national anthem, as it would take quite the genius to come up with one that doesn't divide the country. Instead, they decided to go with the United Kingdom's national anthem, 'God Save The Queen', which divides the country, anyway!

Archived