Why foster Theon with Ned?

honorable men

51 minutes ago, honorable men said:

The Iron Islanders were slowly intergrating with the 7k and sending Theon off in frozen tundra was a bad move. Theon should've been sent to some house closely liked with the Citadel and faith of the seven. And there's Stannis of course. 

Ned and Robert were the two commanders during the siege of Pyke, so Ned was the first choice to take Theon as hostage.

1 minute ago, Tucu said:

Ned and Robert were the two commanders during the siege of Pyke, so Ned was the first choice to take Theon as hostage.

Not gonna lie, that seems like kind of a weak reason to pick Ned to foster Theon.

Although I could deffenetly see a drunk Robert going "Shhhoo yoooush dun't want me 'oo kill little bitty kids Ned, well YOU raise him then!" and that being all the though he would put into it.

7 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Not gonna lie, that seems like kind of a weak reason to pick Ned to foster Theon.

Although I could deffenetly see a drunk Robert going "Shhhoo yoooush dun't want me 'oo kill little bitty kids Ned, well YOU raise him then!" and that being all the though he would put into it.

I think it was as simple as that. Ned was there at the time, none of the other high lords were there. Why would Robert not give Theon to Ned in that case?

Just now, Tucu said:

Why would Robert not give Theon to Ned in that case?

It isn't like Theon would spoil like milk if he wasn't handed over to whomever landed the job of raising the kids the moment after the Greyjoy gave up.

I could be wrong but isn't being trusted to raise a hostage a big sign of respect from a king? Not to mention a political opportunity to influence the future heir of the Iron Islands.

Giving him to Doran would be a bad move (without getting something big in return) but certainly Tywin or Stannis wouldn't completely unreasonable candidates for the job?

Ned is already loyal so favoring him the job of dealing with Theon is just like washing a spotless plate.

15 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

It isn't like Theon would spoil like milk if he wasn't handed over to whomever landed the job of raising the kids the moment after the Greyjoy gave up.

I could be wrong but isn't being trusted to raise a hostage a big sign of respect from a king? Not to mention a political opportunity to influence the future heir of the Iron Islands.

Giving him to Doran would be a bad move (without getting something big in return) but certainly Tywin or Stannis wouldn't completely unreasonable candidates for the job?

Ned is already loyal so favoring him the job of dealing with Theon is just like washing a spotless plate.

Stannis is his brother, not a high lord and was not in Pyke. Tywin is his father in law and was also not there. Jon Arryn was in KL and had no children at the time. Doran, Mace and Hoster were not part of the campaign.

11 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

@Tucu

I don't see why being there would have been the only deciding factor in who got to keep Theon.

By being a commander in Pyke Ned payed the iron price for Theon. The other high lords did not. It was also possible to reach a decision and implement it quickly so that Robert could return to his obligations (drinking and whoring)

54 minutes ago, Tucu said:

I think it was as simple as that. Ned was there at the time, none of the other high lords were there. Why would Robert not give Theon to Ned in that case?

Tywin possibly was

With Balon's "moat" now undefended, King Robert had no difficulty bringing his host across Ironman's Bay from Seagard and Lannisport. With his Wardensof the West and North beside him, Robert forced landings on Pyke, Great Wyk, Harlaw, and Orkmont, and cut his way across the isles with steel and fire. Balon was forced to fall back to his stronghold at Pyke

13 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

Tywin possibly was

With Balon's "moat" now undefended, King Robert had no difficulty bringing his host across Ironman's Bay from Seagard and Lannisport. With his Wardensof the West and North beside him, Robert forced landings on Pyke, Great Wyk, Harlaw, and Orkmont, and cut his way across the isles with steel and fire. Balon was forced to fall back to his stronghold at Pyke

Asha thinks of Balon bending the knee to the stag and the direwolf, she doesn't include the lion.

Balon Greyjoy had proved the truth of his own words when his first rebellion failed; the kraken bent the knee to stag and direwolf, only to rise again when Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark were dead.

1 minute ago, Tucu said:

Asha thinks of Balon bending the knee to the stag and the direwolf, she doesn't include the lion.

Given that Tywin was still alive when Balon rebelled the second time it seems obvious why Tywin is not mentioned, however the World book implies that he was there. 

2 hours ago, honorable men said:

The Iron Islanders were slowly intergrating with the 7k

They were in rebellion.

and sending Theon off in frozen tundra was a bad move.

No one sent Theon off the the frozen tundra. Theon was a hostage held to keep Balon in line. Eddard raised Theon as a ward. Theon knew he was a hostage and made remarks that he knew Eddard would take his head.

Theon should've been sent to some house closely liked with the Citadel and faith of the seven. And there's Stannis of course.  

Take that up with martin and Bobby. Theon was taken hostage and given to Eddard to rear.

BTW when the story opens Theon is 19 years of age. To my way of thinking Theon is no longer a ward. Theon is a hostage. BUT when Theon returns home carrying Robb's terms Balon doesn't seem to much care because Balon has been grooming Asha.

Robert only trusted Ned and Jon. Tywin and Stannis could cause trouble woth the iron islands in their pocket.

3 hours ago, Ellard Stark said:

Balon never stopped being stupid. :D

When was he stupid? When he conquered the north?

2 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

That is true enough I suppose.

Can't help but to feel that can be said of most Ironborn.

Victarion and Aeron dont seem that smart but the other Greyjoys are all intelligent

2 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Is it weird that I like Euron because he killed Balon and damphair ? lol

He killed Aeron?

4 hours ago, Tucu said:

By being a commander in Pyke Ned payed the iron price for Theon. The other high lords did not.

The Iron Price is a Ironborn ideal, not something Robert would have felt compelled to care about.

4 hours ago, Tucu said:

It was also possible to reach a decision and implement it quickly so that Robert could return to his obligations (drinking and whoring)

This might be more it.

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

When was he stupid? When he conquered the north?

First and foremost the Greyjoy rebellion was a dumb idea that cost him most of his children.

But also yes, he is unable hold the North and could have reaved much more valuable targets in the south. If there was some sort of deal cut with TYwin we never learn of it.

Starting wars you can't win in generally a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Victarion and Aeron dont seem that smart but the other Greyjoys are all intelligent

IMHO you can be intelligent and still make dumb decisions. For example if you are blinded by baseless assumption or driven by manic character motivation.

e.g. Tywin's horrible treatment of Tyrion never produced  solid benefit for TYwin, it was just revenge on a child for things he had no control over and in the end resulted in Tyrion commiting kinslaying.

Archived