Rhom

College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Reports are circulating that it’s a done deal.  I do wonder who the hot candidates will be.

Musselman obviously.  Hoiberg?  Donovan?

Had to be done. 

I am not up to speed enough on hoops writ large to know about all the young up and comers, but I certainly do not know too many names.  Will be interesting to see the rumors.  Donovan is interesting because it makes me wonder if there's some NBA coach they could flirt with just cause UCLA but that gets back to the whole "is this still an elite job?" thing.  

Offer Pitino, lol

ETA:  Here's another list of potential coaches from the LA Times.  Tony Bennett possible?  

Potential candidates to replace the 54-year-old Alford could include the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Billy Donovan, Virginia’s Tony Bennett, Michigan’s John Beilein, Gonzaga’s Mark Few, North Carolina State’s Kevin Keatts, Texas Christian’s Jamie Dixon, Texas Tech’s Chris Beard, Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin, Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall, Utah’s Larry Krystkowiak and former Chicago Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg.

Edited by Triskele

@S John thought you guys had that one last night

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

@S John thought you guys had that one last night

We are terrible.  I was surprised it was as close as it was.  Tech will probably blast us in Lubbock.  I've watched every WVU game that's been televised and a couple of those viewings have been an exercise in masochism.  There's talent there, but there's also youth and nagging injuries.  The older guys on this team (looking at you, Ahmad) have just not stepped up enough to overcome the overall inexperience and in fact are often contributors to bone-headed, sloppy play.  It's just been difficult to watch.  We'll eke out some conference wins but anything near .500 in conference will be a miracle.   

@Ded As Ned Racers v Eagles tonight!!!

Ja Morant is about to go medieval on your ass!!!  

Posted (edited)

I was totally joking when I suggested Pitino for UCLA, but now it's being reported that he's UCLA's top booster's first choice.  :stunned:

If they actually offered it is there any chance that Pitino would turn it down?  Given his current situation I think the dynamic for him is lightyears different than a lot of other college coaches that may be thinking UCLA isn't what it used to be.  For Pitino it could be an unbelievable opportunity to get back in the game.

Also, UCLA beat Stanford by 22 in their first game post-Alford.  Now, beating a Pac-12 team should be taken as about the same as beating a non-Gonzaga WCC team.  But when you just lost to Liberty by 15 that's quite a turnaround.  Hard to interpret any other way than that the team was not down with coach Alford.  

ETA:  Oh, and the shite Pac-12 season gets worse as Bol Bol is out for the year with an injury and for sure going pro.  Will never play a conference game for the Ducks.  

Edited by Triskele

I saw douchebag extraordinaire Bill Walton thinks Barack Obama should be the next coach of UCLA. This fucking guy...

43 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I saw douchebag extraordinaire Bill Walton thinks Barack Obama should be the next coach of UCLA. This fucking guy...

Condi Rice for Browns head coach and Barack Obama for UCLA... clearly the way to sports success is through politics. :lol:

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

Condi Rice for Browns head coach and Barack Obama for UCLA... clearly the way to sports success is through politics. :lol:

Only in America...

Bout to head out to WVU @ UT.  Second UT game of the year (went to the Providence game) and first WVU.  Sometimes I try to catch WVU @ Baylor but we suck so bad this year I don’t think I’ll make the drive.  

there’s usually a pretty good showing of WVU expats in Austin but this year I could see being more of a lone wolf in my WVU gear due to WVU looking pretty awful and all - so if you see a WVU guy in the stands it’s probably me.  Hoping I get to witness a road W, but I don’t think we’ve got an answer for Jaxson Hayes without Konate.  Maybe I’ll get lucky and he suits up tonight.

27 minutes ago, S John said:

there’s usually a pretty good showing of WVU expats in Austin but this year I could see being more of a lone wolf in my WVU gear due to WVU looking pretty awful and all - so if you see a WVU guy in the stands it’s probably me.  Hoping I get to witness a road W, but I don’t think we’ve got an answer for Jaxson Hayes without Konate.  Maybe I’ll get lucky and he suits up tonight.

Lol - I'm headed to a birthday party tonight where I think there will be games on though I figure most TV's will be on the NFL game.  If this one is on I'm definitely going to have my head on a swivel. 

Cal sucks, but UCLA beat them by 15 today continuing the successful mutiny against Alford.  Two comfortable, double digit wins in a row after an abysmal four game losing streak.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Lol - I'm headed to a birthday party tonight where I think there will be games on though I figure most TV's will be on the NFL game.  If this one is on I'm definitely going to have my head on a swivel. 

Cal sucks, but UCLA beat them by 15 today continuing the successful mutiny against Alford.  Two comfortable, double digit wins in a row after an abysmal four game losing streak.  

Haha, well, there were a decent few of my WVU compatriots around so I doubt I made the cut on TV.  I had my dad looking too and he didn’t report any sightings. 

I was reflecting today that I think I’ve been to WVU @ UT for basketball 5 years in a row.  A few of those years, notably last year, I’d say 35ish percent of the crowd was WVU people.  Today probably closer to 5%, but still a good time.

I’ve been to many UT games in football, basketball, and baseball since I’ve been in Austin.  I cheer for the Longhorns as long as they aren’t playing WVU (mainly because my fiancé is a die hard UT fan), but between football and basketball I’m getting close to maybe 10 ‘away’ fan experiences as a WVU fan in Austin and I have to say there’s only been one time when I’ve caught any shit whatsoever.  People just completely leave me alone and I appreciate that.  If there is a comment it’s never hostile and rarely negative.  I have to give some credit to the fans of what has become my secondary team in football and basketball for not being dicks.  Fuck y’all for beating the Mountainees today,  but A+ for behavior.

Slightly off topic, I’m going to be in LA the week after next and I was thinking it’d be really cool to go to a UCLA game but they aren’t in town while I’m there.  I’m going to be there for a work training so I’m not quite sure what my evenings will be like anyway but I was hoping it’d be something to keep in my back pocket in case I had free time.  According to google maps I’ll only be 20 min from UCLA.  I’m sure I’ll be out again.  Maybe next time.

Edited by S John

What a difference quality coaching can make. 

Ole Miss has quietly started out 11-2 (with essentially the same core of guys as last year's team) and opened conference play last night with a 10-point road win against a pretty decent Vandy team. The difference in fundamentals and in-game coaching is night and day with Kermit Davis. I still don't really expect this team to grind through a tough SEC schedule with enough wins to make the Tournament. Depth will likely be an issue before the end. But hope for the future is at its highest point since the 90s. 

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Fuck. 

Saw that.  Injuries suck.

I know there's more to the AP rankings than just head-to-head matchups (obviously), but I still find the following strange:

Buffalo is #19 this week. They've previously lost on the road by 18 points to Marquette, who is #21 this week. Marquette has previously on the road by 20 points to St Johns, who is #24 this week.

This is all to Buffalo's benefit, but that order still seems odd. And its not like Marquette's other two losses are that bad, they lost by 9 in Kansas and by 23 in Indiana (okay, that's not great). Meanwhile, St Johns only has one loss, by 2 in Seton Hall. Buffalo also only has the one loss, and does have some good road wins, so maybe its fine that they're ahead of Marquette, but St Johns seems pretty badly under-ranked.