Serenity (2019): Catch That Goddamn Fish

KiDisaster

Have any of you seen this absolutely bonkers movie yet? 

It technically released today but the theaters near me had showings last night. I had to go check it out after seeing a few headlines about the apparently ridiculous twist it has and good god I was not disappointed. 

When I saw the headlines the first thing that popped into my head was "it was all a dream/simulation" but I never expected that to

actually be the fucking twist. You can tell something isn't right from the very first scene of the movie though when Baker Dill (McConaughey) nearly kills himself trying to reel in a near orca sized tuna he has named Justice, but the revelation that the entire thing was a video game had me laughing in disbelief. I have to admire it for how absolutely ridiculous it is, and how hard the cast commits to it because the performances are so goddamn good. There's some real creepy stuff too, though. The scene where Anne Hathaway's character is talking to McConaughey about the first time they had sex and he had told her she was "finally old enough". :stillsick: 

The performances and the cinematography are about the only things I can say are good about this descent into madness though. It's an awesomely bad movie and one that absolutely needs to be seen. 

35 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

:dunce:   I came here hoping it was some kind of Firefly reboot.

You mean that show nerds complain endlessly about getting canceled because no one watched it so they made a movie that flopped because no one watched it?

5 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You mean that show nerds complain endlessly about getting canceled because no one watched it so they made a movie that flopped because no one watched it?

Precisely

Hey, this guy Matt and I tried to force people to watch it one time and they totally did, but they kind of resented us for it afterwards.  Like, it wasn't a big epiphany moment for anybody like we were hoping for.   Maybe on account of how weird it must have been for new viewers.   Lucky Fillion has joined the inner worlds now as a policeman on ABC so normal people can follow along because Earth is a planet they know.

I would've had no interest in seeing this movie, but reading an article about the twist has me strangely intrigued. I'm a big fan of movies that just fucking go for it, even if it barely makes sense, rather than play it safe.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hey, maybe more people might have watched it if they aired the episodes in the right order so the show made sense.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

Hey, maybe more people might have watched it if they aired the episodes in the right order so the show made sense.

Or on any day but Friday.

Nope, I'm not still bitter. Why would you ask that?

Archived