Jump to content
DireWolfSpirit

International Thread 3

Recommended Posts

And the Rajapaksas are back in power in Sri Lanka. Fairly predictable after the Easter attacks and the fallout between Sirisena and Wickremesinghe. 

Bibi is going to hard to get rid of. But the indictment was certainly an important step.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, dornishpen said:

Why did you like such an outdated article? It's more than 35 years old and those facts are no longer true. The majority of Ethiopian Jews now live in Israel and Israel carried out some now famous operations to bring them to Israel (Sudan and also the using many planes to airlift thousands of Ethiopian Jews in one day). 

 

Also just as an aside, unlike what that article said, ritual purification by immersion in water is a major part of rabbinic Judaism.

Just chiming in - late - to point out that those left behind aren't really all that much better off, AFAIK.

It's been - what, 15 years? Time flies! - since I was in Gondar, and we visited a Jewish village outside. Conditions were poor.

On that note, I seem to remember something about those still remaining being considered non-Jews by Israel, but I most certainly may be wrong on that account. 

Finally, a movie worth seeing that relates to this somewhat: Live and Become

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Just chiming in - late - to point out that those left behind aren't really all that much better off, AFAIK.

It's been - what, 15 years? Time flies! - since I was in Gondar, and we visited a Jewish village outside. Conditions were poor.

On that note, I seem to remember something about those still remaining being considered non-Jews by Israel, but I most certainly may be wrong on that account. 

Finally, a movie worth seeing that relates to this somewhat: Live and Become

As I understand it there have definitely been issues with racism in terms of the Ethiopian Jewish community and their status as Jews and their treatment in Israel. Israeli law though doesn't require one to be halachacally Jewish to immigrate, but to have one Jewish grandparent (so basically anyone who would have been killed by the Nazis). I did find this article so maybe since Bibi has been indicted and hopefully there will be a new PM soon we can hope things will change for the people mentioned in this article who waiting for aliyah, since it sounds like another racist policy from his government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dornishpen said:

As I understand it there have definitely been issues with racism in terms of the Ethiopian Jewish community and their status as Jews and their treatment in Israel. Israeli law though doesn't require one to be halachacally Jewish to immigrate, but to have one Jewish grandparent (so basically anyone who would have been killed by the Nazis). I did find this article so maybe since Bibi has been indicted and hopefully there will be a new PM soon we can hope things will change for the people mentioned in this article who waiting for aliyah, since it sounds like another racist policy from his government.

Seems there has been movement on the issue in the 15 years since I was there. That's good, 

For the remaining few, though, this must be a horrible situation. Knowing that most of your tribe has emigrated, while you continue to live in poor conditions in a very poor country.. 

Agree completely on the "new PM"-thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good speech. Wasn't sure where to put it, but because it's a global issue Int'l thread seemed most appropriate. I can't argue with really anything he says. Though I'm sure there could be some unpicking of the parts where he's talking about freedom of expression. But end of the day, every private entity gets to choose what information it associates with, and with whom it will associate. I am relatively confident that ISIS doesn't have a Facebook page or gets ad buys on Facebook micro-targeted to Muslim and Muslim-curious users. But I don't use FB so I'm not 100% sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Good speech. Wasn't sure where to put it, but because it's a global issue Int'l thread seemed most appropriate. I can't argue with really anything he says. Though I'm sure there could be some unpicking of the parts where he's talking about freedom of expression. But end of the day, every private entity gets to choose what information it associates with, and with whom it will associate. I am relatively confident that ISIS doesn't have a Facebook page or gets ad buys on Facebook micro-targeted to Muslim and Muslim-curious users. But I don't use FB so I'm not 100% sure.

Considering FB as a platform was largely responsible for the spread a lot of the hate speech responsible for the support of the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar I don't think we should assume that, maybe not English language, but FB absolved itself of responsibility for genocidal speech about the Rohingya by saying they didn't have enough moderators who spoke Burmese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why can't Venezuela give themselves over to right-wing  autocrats like Bolivia wonders not at all Fachist enablers: https://fair.org/home/media-wonder-why-cant-venezuela-be-more-like-bolivia/

It's a tragedy when a country can't be chiefly exploited by foresight corporations, America, and extreme Christian-supremacist zealots. 

 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, dornishpen said:

Considering FB as a platform was largely responsible for the spread a lot of the hate speech responsible for the support of the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar I don't think we should assume that, maybe not English language, but FB absolved itself of responsibility for genocidal speech about the Rohingya by saying they didn't have enough moderators who spoke Burmese.

Zuckenberg is a pos, I am proud that I have never used his shitty little platform and life goes on perfectly fine for me without FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, Prince Andrew wasn't the only royal to meet the late and disgraced Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway is now apologizing for meeting with Epstein after his conviction for soliciting an underage prostitute, including one meeting at his house.

https://www.dn.no/utenriks/jeffrey-epstein/mette-marit/slottet/crown-princess-of-norway-apologizes-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings-tells-norwegian-newspaper-dagens-naringsliv-she-should-have-investigated-his-past-more-thoroughly/2-1-716538

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

Apparently, Prince Andrew wasn't the only royal to meet the late and disgraced Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway is now apologizing for meeting with Epstein after his conviction for soliciting an underage prostitute, including one meeting at his house.

https://www.dn.no/utenriks/jeffrey-epstein/mette-marit/slottet/crown-princess-of-norway-apologizes-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings-tells-norwegian-newspaper-dagens-naringsliv-she-should-have-investigated-his-past-more-thoroughly/2-1-716538

 

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how people  who are supposed to be respectable people  got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how many man who are supposed to respectable men got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Crown Princess Mette-Marrit is a woman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Crown Princess Mette-Marrit is a woman

Men, I accidentally used ”men” and ”man” when I meant to use ”people” . Fairly, stupid mistake on my part if I'm honest.   Weird how I missed it when I went back to edit the post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how people  who are supposed to be respectable people  got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Really? Why? It seems to me that the low O2 concentration in the rarefied atmosphere the 0.1% occupies, and those who cloyingly hover around those egos, creates delusions that the normal rules and mores of society don't apply to them, and so they do whatever their desires dictate and none shall question their right. I don;t think the attitude that the people are there to serve their wants and interests has ever left people like this, and it infests the minds of the rich and powerful in meritocratic societies as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Really? Why? It seems to me that the low O2 concentration in the rarefied atmosphere the 0.1% occupies, and those who cloyingly hover around those egos, creates delusions that the normal rules and mores of society don't apply to them, and so they do whatever their desires dictate and none shall question their right. I don;t think the attitude that the people are there to serve their wants and interests has ever left people like this, and it infests the minds of the rich and powerful in meritocratic societies as well.

This is a interesting and scarily, disturbing point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This is a interesting and scarily, disturbing point.

There is the suggestion (not sure if it's been statistically demonstrated) that there is a much higher presence of sociopaths among the ultra-rich compared to the population as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found an interesting graph when looking at the workload and salary of teachers in international comparison. It is in German unfortunately, and also more than a little outdated, but it is interesting nonetheless when it comes to general policy:

arbeitszeiten-lehrer-vergleich-1.png

Green is the salary in 100 euros per year (after 15 years in the job), the red one is lessons per year and the grey one is yearly hours of presence at school due to regulation.

I was actually just wanting to know how Germany looks like in comparison and it kinda confirms my weird impression that the German Federal governments have a tendency to just throw money at their overworked teachers instead of adressing the problem of them getting more and more hours of work instead of, you know, hiring more to improve the general working conditions.

But... WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE US?!? I'm barely operational with "just" 28 lessons per week, but... bloody hell, what's up with your hours?!?

Edited by Toth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×