Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Arsenal are also underperforming on the commercial front. Per the last Deloitte money league report covering the 2017/2018 season only Spurs (€116m) brought in less commercial revenue than Arsenal (€120m) among the top six. Arsenal are quite a ways behind the rest. 

However Spurs have closed the gap significantly in terms of total revenue and are certain to overtake Arsenal when the 2018/2019 report comes out. So with a third straight season out of the CL, less revenue and a higher wage bill, it's not surprising Arsenal have a much smaller transfer budget than Spurs.

Aubameyang will be on a big contract, too. Forcing a move from Dortmund to Arsenal to make less money does not strike me as the most plausible scenario. I don't think he is making the same kind of money Özil :lmao:makes, but I suspect he will also be among Arsenal's top earners.

Anyway, looks like Arsenal is following the same trajectory as any other sport team Kroenke has ever invested in. Anyway, Arsenal needs the CL to increase their revenue. For them to reach the CL and be "competitive for the league title" (I use that term very broadly with Guardiola's City in the league) the squad needs some major investments. For that they need to increase their revenue. Ofc having an albatros contract like Özil's is not really helping Arsenal. And Kroenke is not in the habit of opening his purse to boost his teams. Maybe, they can find a rich Qatari investor, or Russian sugar daddy to buy out Kroenke.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, Arsenal needs the CL to increase their revenue. For them to reach the CL and be "competitive for the league title" (I use that term very broadly with Guardiola's City in the league) the squad needs some major investments.

In fairness Guardiola's probably going to leave at the end of his contract in 2021 and it wouldn't be a huge shock for him to leave next summer. On top of that Liverpool look really well set up to be good the next couple of years but they've got a lot of money invested in players who're going to hit their 30s at a similar time so it'll take some more astute transfer business to keep them at the same level. Get in the Champions League next year, consolidate for a year and then compete for the title the year after is a pretty reasonable trajectory for Arsenal to plan for. Pulling it off is the difficult bit.

Yes, Liverpool were competitive last season. However, it took them an absolute record season, with almost all the close games going in their favour (lucky bounces, ref. decissions and so on and so forth). While for City this seems to be the new standard for a season - afterall they posted those ludicrous points total in back-to-back seasons. And I get why you hope, that Guardiola buggers off in 2 years, but for the time being, he is at City.

Long story short, I don't think Liverpool will finish on 97 points again next season. And I would caution any Liverpool fan here not to expect a similar total in points again.

If Liverpool can prove me worng, fine.

And like you said, you invested heavily. Whle Arsenal's season budget is basically half a van Dijk (yes, it's a bit more, but you get my point).

24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Long story short, I don't think Liverpool will finish on 97 points again next season. And I would caution any Liverpool fan here not to expect a similar total in points again.

If Liverpool can prove me worng, fine.

Er, right ok, but that's not particularly relevant to the point I was making.

The point is that there is decent potential for both City and Liverpool, the two sides Arsenal are currently significantly behind, to decline a fair bit in a couple of season's time. Given that there's reasonable time scale for them to build towards a title challenge over.

I would also add that we were one point off third and really should have finished third last season - it was very close between the 3-6th placed teams, so yes, being a title contender is far off, but being in the top 4 isn't and it's something I think we can do even with our modest budget.

Yes, I would think that CL qualification is a must for Arsenal next season (and Emery may well go if that isn't achieved in the two seasons he's had). Only after that can you then reap the benefits of the CL income stream and prestige to attract top talent - the Arsenal board and Kroenke are definitely not deficit spenders, so the big team revamp is going to have to wait until this time next year. Another season after that to get CL qualification again and get the new team playing well together, and only after then will we see how much progress Arsenal have actually made. It's basically a three year plan.

The problem with that plan is that it all heavily relies on one thing - CL qualification. We only missed out on it this time because of a shocking last three games of the season, so we're not that far off, but with no significant transfer spend we are basically relying on United, Chelsea and Tottenham to stand still as well.

Yeah, the end of season collapse was terrible, we only needed one win from a bunch of winnable fixtures, there were *some* mitigating circumstances but it's also why I'm a bit serene about next season. A little sad that Ramsey has left though :(

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Yeah, the end of season collapse was terrible, we only needed one win from a bunch of winnable fixtures, there were *some* mitigating circumstances but it's also why I'm a bit serene about next season. A little sad that Ramsey has left though :(

Yeah we will definitely be a bit weaker without his drive in midfield. If we had just won one of those games and got CL qualification then the season would have been viewed as a success and we could have spent more this offseason and really got going, but as it is we are in the EL purgatory. The thing that worries me is that by the time we have got back into the CL and start pressing on, Aubameyang and Lacazette will be winding down.

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The point is that there is decent potential for both City and Liverpool, the two sides Arsenal are currently significantly behind, to decline a fair bit in a couple of season's time. Given that there's reasonable time scale for them to build towards a title challenge over.

Ah, ok. Sorry, that point got lost one me.

Anyway, yes, your players are getting older, however, both City and Liverpool have the financial power to bring in younger players to replace againg players. City in particular are not shy spending big, when they see the need for fresh blood. Check Rodri.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

I would also add that we were one point off third and really should have finished third last season - it was very close between the 3-6th placed teams, so yes, being a title contender is far off, but being in the top 4 isn't and it's something I think we can do even with our modest budget.

There are three teams that are (at least imho) just better/stronger than Arsenal. City and Liverpool, obviously; but also Spurs (sorry).

So you are competing for fourth with Chelsky and United. What works in your favour atm is the transfer ban at Chelsky, and the disarray at United. Fortunately for Arsenal the latter does not seem to get resolved any time soon. However, if they eventually get their ship in order, they can and will spend heavily.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

There are three teams that are (at least imho) just better/stronger than Arsenal. City and Liverpool, obviously; but also Spurs (sorry).

So you are competing for fourth with Chelsky and United. What works in your favour atm is the transfer ban at Chelsky, and the disarray at United. Fortunately for Arsenal the latter does not seem to get resolved any time soon. However, if they eventually get their ship in order, they can and will spend heavily.

CFC, United ( to a lesser extent), Arsenal & Spurs all finished very close to each other. Just look at last year's table. I also already acknowledged that the top two teams are well ahead of us - I'm not actually sure you're reading the posts in the thread.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Arsenal finished one point behind Spurs last season. That's not exactly an insurmountable gap.

I still rate Spurs as the better overall team. Spurs had a second half collapse, mainly because because they lack depth (at least that's what I think). And had some spells with injuries (Liverpool was extremely lucky on that end, too).

Again, Arsenal can prove me wrong and finish above Spurs next year. If they do, I will change my assessment.

33 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Spurs had a second half collapse, mainly because because they lack depth (at least that's what I think).

But I mean surely that's part of overall strength? It's always been one of Spurs's weaknesses that they rely ridiculously heavily on their core first team. 

Are they better than Arsenal? I mean they've finished above them two seasons in a row so probably. But they're not in a whole different tier. Especially since you also labelled them as above Chelsea, who finished above them.

Yeah - that's my thing, city & liverpool are in a different tier, the rest are not. United imo could have got there but I'm a little skeptical of Solskjaer, bchelsea will be hamstrung by a new manager & the the transfer ban and Spurs and us are not that far apart in terms of our squad.

I think it'll be close, like last season.

Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Spurs will be fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place again. City and Liverpool will contest for the title again. Simple.

It'll be interesting to see how Wolves cope with European games - these teams don't tend to fare well in the league once they have midweek European games to contend with and Wolves were very fortunate with injuries last season as well. IMO, Leicester, Everton and West Ham will be the teams most likely to capitalise on any slip up by Arsenal, United or Chelsea. 

Everton & Leicester yes, West Ham I'm not so sure.

Also, can  we please sign Tierney from Celtic already. He seems like exactly what we need.

Lastly, for those afc fans who missed this neat video. That's a gorgeous kit.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

Everton & Leicester yes, West Ham I'm not so sure.

West Ham were not far behind Leicester, Everton and Wolves last season. Pellegrini is doing a good job there after a rough start.

Re: Rashford's contract. I wouldn't put it past us giving out silly wages but £250k/week is too much for Rashford. I'd probably wait and see what more reliable sources than Ducker are reporting though as he's a bullshit merchant when it comes to United.

Archived