Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I'd much rather we try for Tielemans - he'd cost much less as well. Maddison is not some exceptional player so it's really not worth getting rinsed for him. We will need more than one midfielder with both Fellaini and Herrera gone and Pogba possibly on his way out too.

Oh I'd definitely rather Tielemans but I'd be quite okay with both. They don't fill the same role, after all, Maddison is way more outright attacking. He isn't exceptional yet but I think he's got exceptional in him.

I don't think the price really figures. We're going to get merked on price whoever we get, but at the same time we can afford it. 60mil in today's market for English teams is a lot but it ain't obscene.

He'd probably cost a lot more than 60 million. English tax and all that. Hell, reports saying that we will pay £50m+£5m in bonuses for Wan Bissaka. Apparently Maguire is vauled at £75+ million so Maddison would be around the same. Leicester are well off financially and have aspirations of Europe so they would only sell for something ridiculous. Chasing after Maddison - a player we don't really need and who doesn't fix any of the gaping holes in our squad - would simply be yet another example of our clueless approach to transfers.

ETA. Di Marzio reporting that Spurs are close to completing a deal for Ndombele - €62m + bonuses. Would be a great signing for Spurs if they pull it off.

10 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Where have these Maddison rumours come from? I've not seen anyone reliable report it. 

I don't follow the United twitter-sphere but my friend said it picked up after some Twitter account with a good prior record on United transfers said this deal was progressing and they were now ready to predict a medical on Friday.  The fan forums got hold of it and the buzz increased.    

That could be clickbait, speculation, trolling or even, just possibly, semi reliable information about a tentative interest.  It's a slow news week in football and fans are willing to get excited about anything right now.

I was interested because it made me think of how well Leicester have done lately with their recruitment and development.  Almost all of the title winning team has been replaced with relatively below-the-radar moves.

Personally, I don't think United will bid big money for a player like Maddison until they know what's happening with Pogba, which is tied up with other uncertain mega moves like Neymar and RM's ability to offload James and Bale..  But I keep underestimating the willingness of clubs to spend.

What is surprising me a little about the stories coming out about Benitez and Newcastle is that Rafa was looking to sign a new contract, with promises to bring in more investment and a bigger salary and seemed to be thinking there was a chance he would be staying.

Reports are that the club released a statement about his departure without Benitez even knowing about it. That is kind of shocking if true, because my assumption was that he had made his mind up to leave a long time ago and was just waiting down the clock on his contract.

Big Sam said he only met Ashley 3 times during his spell at the Toon, and two of those were social occasions. I get that an owner needs to delegate responsibility but it just shows how hands off Ashley is and indicates his lack of interest.

Everton have signed Andre Gomes.

That's good. I tend to be nervous whenever we "want to sign someone and the deal is close", because we tended to haggle a lot in the Moyes years (little money), which meant transfers dragged out and quite often fell through. To complete the deal already - feels good.

Now - just who at Chelsea do we need to hold at gun point to secure the Zouma transfer?

Good acquisition by Everton there. 

Has anyone tried The Athletic for sports journalism?  Is it worth the subscription?  I’m not averse to paying a subscription for quality writing, and I hate the ads on Football365, but it does seem like The Athletic would be charging for coverage on a lot of sports that I don’t really follow. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Good acquisition by Everton there. 

Has anyone tried The Athletic for sports journalism?  Is it worth the subscription?  I’m not averse to paying a subscription for quality writing, and I hate the ads on Football365, but it does seem like The Athletic would be charging for coverage on a lot of sports that I don’t really follow. 

Coverage and writing is consistently excellent for NFL and MLB. I haven't read a ton in other sports.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

We (Arsenal) need better defenders, not more attackers. Although Zaha obviously you'd take if you could get him.

We have no width & no goals from the wide areas. A wide forward would be welcome, especially one that can get us goals. Iwobi & Nelson is what we're going to probably go with, tbh, we will probably not get Zaha. And I ofc agree that we need a couple of defenders, but we've needed decent wide players for ages too.

Zaha would cost far too much though. Even more than the usual premium for English players due to United having a 25% sell on clause. If Palace want to make £60m from the transfer then they will need to sell for £80m. 

Matt Law reporting that Chelsea have reached an agreement with Real Madrid for Kovacic. Transfer ban does not affect this deal (so long as the transfer is completed before 1 July) since the player is already registered with Chelsea. Romano reports that the fee is €50m+add-ons, Law says fee is £40m. 

Romano also reporting that Inter are ready to bid on Lukaku. As expected, the cheapskates are taking the piss with their offer - €10m for a two year loan + €60m obligation to buy thereafter. Kristof Terreur reporting that United aren't interested in loan or swap deals and a transfer is only possible if Inter pay around £80m. 

27 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Matt Law reporting that Chelsea have reached an agreement with Real Madrid for Kovacic. Transfer ban does not affect this deal (so long as the transfer is completed before 1 July) since the player is already registered with Chelsea. Romano reports that the fee is €50m+add-ons, Law says fee is £40m. 

For a 25 year old international level midfielder who played 51 games for us last season, £40m is quite a fair fee for Chelsea, especially when you consider Atletico Madrid paid Real Madrid just under £30m for Marcos Llorente, who is only one year younger, made only 36 appearances across the past two seasons at Real Madrid and is uncapped by Spain. There may have been a premium on Llorente for the fact Real were selling to a direct rival, though.

Kovacic proved last season he isn't a goal threat or even very creative in the final third, but he's technically proficient, flexible tactically and wasn't shy of working hard for the team. Considering the long term injury to Loftus-Cheek, as well, I think this is a very sensible signing for Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Its odd that the weaknesses in the Arsenal side have been so glaring for so long, and don't ever seem to get fixed.. instead someone like Zaha gets rumoured. 

As Raja said, wide forwards are a weakness. Arsenal were pretty poor at generating chances and taking shots last season. The only reason they even had a chance at top 4 is because their strikers converted at a high clip. That's not something to rely on. Of course, they're not signing Zaha so he won't be the answer there.

That being said, with their wage structure, a whole bunch of mediocre players no one wants, a manager who seems to have zero relationships with the players and a transfer budget of peanuts, I don't expect Arsenal to be much better next season. Really not looking forward to season start.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It was mentioned that the only way you'd be able to afford him this window would be to sell someone like Aubameyang, so it likely not going to happen.

I'd sell Auba to get Zaha. No hesitation. 

Having Lacazette as the undisputed first choice striker will reap massive dividends. I was almost as frustrated as he was with the amount of times he was subbed last season.

Aubamayeng might have got a share of the golden boot last year, but he misses too many chances, and he can't really do anything other than score. His all round play is somewhat underwhelming.

Archived