US Politics: RIP EHK FYVM GOP

DanteGabriel

The Census Case Could Provoke a Constitutional Crisis
President Trump has seldom been rebuked by the Supreme Court. The question now is how he’ll respond.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/census-case-could-provoke-constitutional-crisis/593425/

The Hewitt rationale seems to be a mash-up of the Rivkin-Blackman Fourteenth Amendment argument and a generous dollop of overall “unitary executive” ideology. It’s not just wrong; it’s bosh. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I haven’t had to wade through such toxic pseudo-constitutional sludge since the last time I sneaked into an Oregon militia meeting.

If the administration rushes back to the Court for a mulligan, it will almost certainly be denied. And here’s where Trump’s truculent tone becomes most chilling. Because the next step would, logically, be a claim that the executive can ignore the Court.

That probably won’t happen, I say with hollow assurance. Even many devotees of the near-dictatorial “unitary executive” would, I hope, draw the line at Andrew Jackson–style defiance. Most likely Trump, like the angry drunk in the shelter, will talk himself down.

But the idea is now in the room, and may be hard to banish as new defeats mount up. “Reason by degrees submits to absurdity,” Samuel Johnson once wrote, “as the eye is in time accommodated to darkness.”

Abolish private insurance? It depends.
The health care debate I’d like to see.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/7/8/20683368/democrats-2020-medicare-private-insurance-single-payer-debate

This is evident in the text of Sanders’s bill, which doesn’t actually abolish private insurance. It outlaws “health insurance coverage that duplicates the benefits provided under this Act.” If the proposed benefits contracted during the legislative process, it would open more room for private insurers to enter the system. So even Sanders’s answer to this question isn’t truly “yes” or “no.” It depends on what’s covered, which in turn depends on how much Americans are willing to pay in taxes. (I should note here that Section 601 of Sanders’s plan includes a provision for a global budget, which could be a powerful cost control tool, but it doesn’t say anything about what the budget would be or how it would be decided.)

However, I come not just to bury the “would you abolish private insurance” question. Taking a page from David Roberts’s excellent rundown of questions that should be asked at a climate debate, here are some more illuminating health care questions that the Democratic candidates should be asked:

1) What will you do about the filibuster?

I know. I’m a broken record on this one. But if Democrats don’t have a plan for the filibuster, they don’t have a plan for ambitious health care reform, and they shouldn’t be allowed to pretend they do.

A bare majority in the Senate will be hard even if Democrats pull a good hand in 2020. But there’s no path to a 60-vote Democratic supermajority. That means that Democrats either need to get rid of the filibuster, which they can do with 51 votes, or they need to repeatedly overrule parliamentary challenges to their reconciliation bill, which is pretty much the same thing. (Sanders, for his part, is banking on the latter strategy.)

Despite being able to fall in love with Kim, Trump seems to be falling out of love with Fox. It's pretty funny watching him rage tweet at them when they're the biggest thing keeping him afloat. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Despite being able to fall in love with Kim, Trump seems to be falling out of love with Fox. It's pretty funny watching him rage tweet at them when they're the biggest thing keeping him afloat. 

SHARE!

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Thank you, goodman. Not like that Tywin at all, are you. Nothing indeed. 

T-minus 10 seconds until Andrew's arm falls off again! BIGLY!!!

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

T-minus 10 seconds until Andrew's arm falls off again! BIGLY!!!

No one is rooting for that more than me. The amount of hope on the propaganda site j frequent is disgusting.

Trump tweets “we will no longer deal” with UK ambassador after leaked cables
The president also insulted Theresa May’s handling of Brexit.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/8/20686576/trump-darroch-uk-ambassador-leaked-cables-tweet

In a batch of leaked cables, the UK ambassador to the US Kim Darroch described President Donald Trump’s administration as “inept” and said that, despite being president, Trump “radiates insecurity.”

On Monday, Trump inadvertently confirmed Darroch’s assessment when he tweeted, “I do not know the Ambassador, but he is not liked or well ... thought of within the U.S. We will no longer deal with him.”

But Trump didn’t limit his criticism to Darroch; he also criticized outgoing Prime Minister Theresa May and her handling of Brexit, saying that she created a mess, and lamenting that she did not take his advice. “I told her how it should be done, but she decided to go another way,” he said.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So what did Trump tell her to do with Brexit?

I guess this?

President Trump says, "you deserve a lot of credit," to Prime Minister May for her efforts on a Brexit deal, despite not taking his advice to sue the European Union.

Trump stands by advice to May to sue E.U. over Brexit

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-stands-by-advice-to-may-to-sue-eu-over-brexit-61238341539

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's amazing watching the guy who had his career and rehabilitated by NBC, whose early candidacy was boosted by endless free CNN airtime, and who gets to use Fox News as seamlessly integrated state propaganda, whining about Fox "forgetting who got you here."

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I guess this?

Trump stands by advice to May to sue E.U. over Brexit

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-stands-by-advice-to-may-to-sue-eu-over-brexit-61238341539

I guess the question of whether suing is even an option is one for the UK pol thread.

The president’s state returns would include some of the same information as on his federal returns, said Lawrence Zelenak, a tax professor at the Duke University School of Law. New York’s state income tax form, for instance, requires a number of entries from federal tax forms. And Zelenak said state law requires taxpayers to file an amended state return if the IRS has made changes to their federal return as a result of an audit. 

“If they got the state returns, they’d get a great deal of information from the federal returns,” Zelenak said.

Congressional Dems Don’t Seem Eager For Trump’s New York Tax Returns
New York has a new law giving congressional tax committees access to state tax returns. They have to want it, though.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-new-york-state-tax-returns_n_5d237706e4b01b83473aca3b

20 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Congressional Dems Don’t Seem Eager For Trump’s New York Tax Returns
New York has a new law giving congressional tax committees access to state tax returns. They have to want it, though.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-new-york-state-tax-returns_n_5d237706e4b01b83473aca3b

The Dems are doing what they have always done which is at the moment of truth, kowtow to the mythical center out of fear of being voted out or not winning.  Only trouble is even when that works they do absolutely nothing.

Oh and before anyone gets on it: yes, I know he'll call it a witch hunt.  Everything's already a witch hunt. There's nothing new to lose here 

47 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

The Dems are doing what they have always done which is at the moment of truth, kowtow to the mythical center out of fear of being voted out or not winning.  Only trouble is even when that works they do absolutely nothing.

Oh and before anyone gets on it: yes, I know he'll call it a witch hunt.  Everything's already a witch hunt. There's nothing new to lose here 

The thing is, when does it become a crying wolf situation? Democrats seem to be just one hearing from being able to take Trump down. But each hearing seems to not quite dish the dirt, and the Mueller report was effectively neutered, or actually failed to find anything to directly incriminate Trump. So unless your very confident of actually getting something juicy on Trump is may be better to not look under certain rocks and only pick rocks that you know what's under them.

8 hours ago, Ormond said:

In the context of Fragile Bird's original statement, it does not matter what you or I or Mexal believe about this. What matters is how one expects this will be reported in media that "moderate" voters (who almost by definition include many more people who pay little attention at all to news or politics, unlike those among the "bases") will see.  And a lot of them ARE going to believe that "a bit more cash" would help. 

i guess, but i still dont really buy it. i mean,  if these people are so out of touch with news and politics, how are they going to hear about the democrats part in this complicated funding bill? and of course the dems could make their own media about it, keep making a spectacle by visiting the camps, hammering on and on about the lack of transparency let alone the torturous conditions. plus, any improvement that falls short of completely shuttering the damn things is just gonna have trump take credit for it anyways (which was part of my original point) 

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Q Anon people think that Epstein's arrest means that Trump's plans to take down the secret cabal of sex trafficking people running the world is about to kick into high gear.  

It is surreal to know though that both Trump and Bill Clinton have hung out with this guy.  A terrible look even if neither knew or took part (and I'm not saying that's a safe assumption at this point).  

Trump must have been playing a really long game gathering intel on Epstein to prepare himself to act when he became president many years later.

Archived