aSoIaF Confessions

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Well I have quite a few...

Besides the first read through back in 2016 I have never manage to fully reread all the Bran, Brienne and Arya POV's.

For a long time I thought both ASOIAF and GOT must be really stupid and it took a lot of friends recommending me ASOIAF in order for me to finally give it a chance.

It took me twice as long to read AFFC then all the other 4 books combined mainly because I gave up about 5 times and I almost decided to skip it entirely at one point. Like the Cersei and Dorne chapters were the only ones I liked in my first read through.

I never managed to figure out on my own R+L=J or even suspect that FAegon wasn't for real. I was so deaf to subtlety that I had to read on this forum to figure out Ramsay castrated Theon.

Due to the writing style as well as the history ASOIAF is based on, till about a year ago I though GRRM was british.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:43 PM, kissdbyfire said:

Back in... a long time ago I found out Martin and I have the same name day, and I loved it. Like, as if it’s a personal achievement or something. :lol:

I felt pretty much the same way about sharing a name day with Jonathan L. Howard (the author of the Johannes Cabal series) -- and he made it even better by pointing out that we also share it with Joan Cusack. (Eleanor Roosevelt is in the club, too, but that always felt like luck rather than an accomplishment.)

(My apologies that this is not an ASOIAF confession. To get back on topic, having neither read the books nor seen the show, but only being exposed by way of social media, what got me started reading was when I heard that it was Lysa who killed Jon Arryn. I was like, wait, WHAT?)

On 1. Februar 2020 at 12:43 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Back in... a long time ago I found out Martin and I have the same name day, and I loved it. Like, as if it’s a personal achievement or something. :lol:

27 minutes ago, Therae said:

I felt pretty much the same way about sharing a name day with Jonathan L. Howard (the author of the Johannes Cabal series)

And now we can all congratulate you guys :D 

I have a confession: I don't understand what people are talking about when they say DnD made Renly into a gay stereotype. Right, in comparison to George's oh so nuanced portrayal. Book Renly was shallow, conceited, attention seeking, interested in fashion and partying....how are these not stereotypical gay traits? People cite his resemblance to Robert but we are told over and over again that that's just a surface thing. I just don't think we should George any brownie points for how he depicted Renly.

23 minutes ago, Peach King said:

I have a confession: I don't understand what people are talking about when they say DnD made Renly into a gay stereotype. Right, in comparison to George's oh so nuanced portrayal. Book Renly was shallow, conceited, attention seeking, interested in fashion and partying....how are these not stereotypical gay traits? People cite his resemblance to Robert but we are told over and over again that that's just a surface thing. I just don't think we should George any brownie points for how he depicted Renly.

I hear you and I get where you’re coming from but first of all I don’t think Renly was quite as vapid as he was venal. Like Stannis he lived in Robert’s shadow, and where the former struggled to be recognized for his accomplishments and loyalty, the latter struggled to even be taken seriously. 

Renly wasn’t a fighter or a strategist (clearly, lol - Margery to replace Cersei?) but he was a charmer.  I think his flamboyance was more a feature of his approach to seeking support and approval than of anything to do with his orientation. I could be wrong of course. 

Curious if you think his portrayal of JonCon is better?

9 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Dany and Cersei

I'd say they both aren't gay or bi, just you know, experimenting. Dany is just "using" Irri to get of, while actually wanting Daario. And Cersei doesn't even experience sexual pleasure- she is just "trying out the role of a man". What she thinks the role of a man/king in the bedroom is. It's more about power. 

23 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

I'd say they both aren't gay or bi, just you know, experimenting. Dany is just "using" Irri to get of, while actually wanting Daario. And Cersei doesn't even experience sexual pleasure- she is just "trying out the role of a man". What she thinks the role of a man/king in the bedroom is. It's more about power. 

:agree:

Cersei is also using sex to manipulate Taena. 

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

:agree:

Cersei is also using sex to manipulate Taena. 

7 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

I agree. But now that you mention her Taena is probably bi or maybe pan. So at least there is one :) 

Um. Im pretty sure its the other way around. So yea, I wouldnt call Taenas feelings real

11 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

. And Cersei doesn't even experience sexual pleasure-

Very true. 

11 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

. Dany is just "using" Irri to get of, while actually wanting Daario. 

Because shes in love with Daario, she still gets off to Irri. 

Dany be bi

Irri, idk, shes such a servant. Probably in love with Dany simply because shes her boss. But maybe not. Irri seemed kinda disappointed when Dany told her to stop eating her out

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

Um. Im pretty sure its the other way around. So yea, I wouldnt call Taenas feelings real

Very true. 

Dany be bi

Irri, idk, shes such a servant. Probably in love with Dany simply because shes her boss. But maybe not. Irri seemed kinda disappointed when Dany told her to stop eating her out

I think Daenerys is at least slightly bisexual, even if she prefers men. She is described as feeling desire for Irri.

And, Cersei, for that matter is always thinking about how sexy and gorgeous Taena is.

That said, these characters would probably just stare at you in astonishment if you talked about bisexuality.  There's probably nothing that unusual about royal and noble women amusing themselves with maids and ladies in waiting.  They would still think of marrying men and having children as the norm.

54 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I got the feeling Taena was infatuated with Cersei. But of course she could just be a really good actress. But at least she was really turned on by Cersei, was really "after her" sexually, while Cersei definitely wasn't when it came to Taena. I got the feeling she even was a bit repulsed during/ after their encounter. She didn't really look at T like a human being during, more like a guinea pig. IMO Cersei was just a bit emotionally attached to T, because she was slowly going insane, was constantly afraid and therefore didn't want to be alone- but that has nothing to do with actual romantic feelings or attraction. And after she noticed T was into her, she wanted to use that to bind T to her, the way she always did with men.

Don't even know, if I'd call that "being in love". I just think she is really, really, really attracted to him lol

Dany be bi

Dany might be a bit fluent. But I don't see any signs, that she could really fall in love with a woman. IMO this with her and Irri mostly started, because she was horny and lonely and Irri had been a bed maid (or am I wrong?; but she obviously has experiences pleasing ppl sexually), who wanted to please her queen in every way she could (not truly wanted it, but she feels this was her duty "her kisses taste of duty") I feel like Irri is just good at what she does, but I don't see any signs, that Dany is attracted to her specifically as a person or a woman.

Ehh. What? Quote please? 

I think there are no signs, that Irri is attracted to her romantically or sexually as a person or woman. She is probably used to having to serve her masters sexually and wants to be a good servant to Dany, because she thinks Dany is a good queen to her. But her "kisses taste like duty" is IMO all you need to know.

21 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think Daenerys is at least slightly bisexual, even if she prefers men. She is described as feeling desire for Irri.

And, Cersei, for that matter is always thinking about how sexy and gorgeous Taena is.

But bi sexuality is not finding a woman sexy or gorgeous. Believe me most women actually think of other beautiful women in those terms even if they are 100% straight and don't want to sleep with them or a relationship with them. And I suspect that it's maybe not so different for men, but you guys just don't talk about it- but maybe I'm wrong.

But Cersei has neither sexual or romantic desire for Taena, which is kinda key here.

I'd say Dany is probably a bit fluent, she is not sexually repulsed by women or anything. That being said there are no hints, that she could be romantically attracted to Irri or any woman- which again is kinda key for bi-sexuality. It is also about falling in love.

11 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

But bi sexuality is not finding a woman sexy or gorgeous. Believe me most women actually think of other beautiful women in those terms even if they are 100% straight and don't want to sleep with them or a relationship with them. And I suspect that it's maybe not so different for men, but you guys just don't talk about it- but maybe I'm wrong.

But Cersei has neither sexual or romantic desire for Taena, which is kinda key here.

I'd say Dany is probably a bit fluent, she is not sexually repulsed by women or anything. That being said there are no hints, that she could be romantically attracted to Irri or any woman- which again is kinda key for bi-sexuality. It is also about falling in love.

Perhaps it is different, as a man.  I think we would think that a man was gay or bisexual (even if he refused to admit it to himself) who thought about another man in the way that Cersei thinks about Taena.

I don't think Daenerys has the same feelings as someone like Queen Rhaena Targaryen.  She's probably more like Princess Saera.

As to other women, Nymeria Sand might well be lesbian or bisexual, and may play quite a big role in TWOW.  Ellaria is supposedly bisexual, according to Oberyn.

Archived