Dracula: Claes of the Beast (BBC/Netflix)

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Probably. I'm concerned it might be a bit hammy, from the trailer.

Yeah, i thought it looked promising at first but recent glimpses of the trailer on bbc have given it almost a dark comedy feel. Hopefully its good though

How would a serious dracula be done?  (Seriously).     They took a crack at it on NBC a few years back.   Lasted 1 season.  It's maybe more difficult than you'd think to do classic monsters serious and modern yet old timey with a feeling of accuracy.  Universal found that out recently.    It's like tough to make the monster sympathic enough to center a show around, and then it's like should you have? because they're supposed to be monstrous.  So these shows tend to depend on a face like Sophia Myles' as the touchstone who makes you tune in- - also did a favorite episode of Dr Who to prove she was no face fluke.  Eh, good luck, errr, good suck, bbc.

9 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

How would a serious dracula be done?  (Seriously).     They took a crack at it on NBC a few years back.   Lasted 1 season.  It's maybe more difficult than you'd think to do classic monsters serious and modern yet old timey with a feeling of accuracy.  Universal found that out recently.    It's like tough to make the monster sympathic enough to center a show around, and then it's like should you have? because they're supposed to be monstrous.  So these shows tend to depend on a face like Sophia Myles' as the touchstone who makes you tune in- - also did a favorite episode of Dr Who to prove she was no face fluke.  Eh, good luck, errr, good suck, bbc.

A drama can have humour without being hammy, like a panto.

I thought it was pretty good and nowhere near as camp as the trailers suggested. The make-up on Jonathan was excellent and there were several eerie/disturbing scenes eg wolf transformation and the sudden movements from Dracula.

The guy playing Dracula was having a lot of fun. I was particularly impressed at how he gradually became more "English" and presumably adopted more of Jonathan's persona.

Watched half of episode 1 so far (these are movie length episodes) and have to agree with red snow,it's definitely not camp.I'd say i'm enjoying it quite a bit.Casting is spot on and story has been full of tension from minute one. Dude playing Dracula is perfectly creepy/scary.

It's also nice that the episodes are airing on consecutive days on BBC.Total of 3 episodes.

Then all 3 episodes will air on the 4th on Netflix outside the UK.

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Watched half of episode 1 so far (these are movie length episodes) and have to agree with red snow,it's definitely not camp.I'd say i'm enjoying it quite a bit.Casting is spot on and story has been full of tension from minute one. Dude playing Dracula is perfectly creepy/scary.

It's also nice that the episodes are airing on consecutive days on BBC.Total of 3 episodes.

Then all 3 episodes will air on the 4th on Netflix outside the UK.

Yeah, and hour and a half for episode one! Three quarters in for me and it flew over, which is always a good sign!

Agatha is probably my favourite part and manages to bring humour into this otherwise dark and sinister tale.

Missed title opportunity btw, should have been Claes of the Beast (instead of claws, geddit?)

Caught up on the first episode this afternoon and really enjoyed it. Even though Agatha runs close to being a walking Steve Moffat trope at times, I still liked her and the actress.

Moffat/Gatiss seemed to be channeling Christopher Marlowe a bit in the massacre at the end. 

The behaviour of the nuns en masse sans Agatha annoyed me a little. I've only ever met one nun, and she was dressed up as a giant hamster fundraising for refugees. I just feel that at least a couple should have been shown, in extremis, rolling up their sleeves and grabbing the metal candlestick holders. 

But that's a nitpick. Really looking forward to Part 2. 

I keep imaging the reactions in the offices of the UK tabloid press when they got first sight of the cast list for this show. Something like if they were told that Prince George was being betrothed to Ivanka Trump on a desert island populated only by women in small bikinis and football players. 

First episode done, i am dying (heh) to dive straight into the next but i have work tomorrow, must resist! I wondered if this series would include (minor E1 spoiler)

Spoiler

Van Helsing, and somehow never thought of Agatha being her

17 hours ago, john said:

Really enjoying it. Very fun and energetic, all the little beats are hitting home. That twist though, I’m not sure. Typical bloody Moffat.

It completely threw me too!.

Spoiler

I thought it was the same night or maybe the next one then suddenly the helicopter comes overhead and he gets swarmed by 2 Range Rovers roaring up and Agatha getting out I was like WTF!!!!?.

So Agatha must have survived as a vampire  I’m guessing, either that or it’s one of her descendants.

I thought the twist at the end of E2 might happen - years of Moffat shows must have trained me for it. However, didn't predict the perhaps more obvious one

Spoiler

about Room 9. For some reason I thought it might be Jonathan in there. 

Also, in e1 Agatha mentioned that she has a detective friend in London. Is this saying either that: Sherlock's nineteenth century episode is Dracula canon, and Sherlock really was extrapolating everything about the 21st century from the late 19th? Or is Agatha just friends with Madame Vastra?  Or she's just friends with ACD's Sherlock Holmes, of course. 

Watched ep1 after watching an ep of the Witcher. Couldn’t help but play out fanfic in my head of Geralt of Rivia turning up at Castle Dracula rather than Harker...

Episode 1 would have been Geralt fucking Dracula’s shit up; 2 and 3 would have been him carousing in Transylvanian taverna and getting Jaskier out of trouble.

Caught up ready for the final episode tonight. I was spoiled that there was a twist at the end of episode 2 but not what it was. Didn’t for even a second expect what we got and was pleasantly surprised! I’m interested to see how that plays out tonight, should rather significantly change the tone and style.

best line (within context) of the episode for me “I can’t wait to eat some atheists.”

I absolutely love Agatha, she is so refreshing a character. Her, ah, ‘casual’ relationship with God is hilarious. 

I think the show has done a good job of balancing the dark and sinister with the dark comedy/hamminess.

”Yes, yes, I am dying, don’t let it concern you.”

Not quite sure why Dracula apparently just let Mina go free though. And seems doubtful we ever get an answer now.

Also where are his other two brides? I thought he implied he currently had three when he killed that one in episode one? (“i only ever have three.” I.e. i needed to make room for one more.)

Archived