Rhaegar & the Three Heads

I am writing a pre-Robert's rebellion fanfic and came across a question I haven't seen discussed. Was there a way Rhaegar could have gotten his third child without the war erupting? Could he have chosen a different woman and avoid the war? Could he have spoken to Lord Rickard Stark and sorted it out, instead of eloping/kidnapping Lyanna?

6 hours ago, DowagerQueenAlyssaVelaryon said:

I am writing a pre-Robert's rebellion fanfic and came across a question I haven't seen discussed. Was there a way Rhaegar could have gotten his third child without the war erupting? Could he have chosen a different woman and avoid the war? Could he have spoken to Lord Rickard Stark and sorted it out, instead of eloping/kidnapping Lyanna?

There are just too many unknowns to say I think. 

I would assume there is some good reason why he didn't take this route but we don't really know. 

Unless that 3rd child needed special blood or his/her bastardy would not have been a problem. Rhaegar could have slept with any peasant or even minor noble girl without it having caused any great problems. After all royal bastards are not rare.

Besides I assume that crown prince would have had many volunteers who had wanted to carry his children. Or at least relatives of those girls or women would have been happy to help Rhaegar in his breeding project.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:59 AM, DowagerQueenAlyssaVelaryon said:

I am writing a pre-Robert's rebellion fanfic and came across a question I haven't seen discussed. Was there a way Rhaegar could have gotten his third child without the war erupting? Could he have chosen a different woman and avoid the war?

Maybe.
I think the war would have been averted anyway had Brandon not ridden into the Red Keep shouting for Rhaegar (who was not there) to come out and die.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:59 AM, DowagerQueenAlyssaVelaryon said:

Could he have spoken to Lord Rickard Stark and sorted it out, instead of eloping/kidnapping Lyanna?

I doubt he could have gotten Lyanna's engagement to Robert broken - at least not reliably. 
Without Brandon's stupid death ride, I think he could well have spoken to Rickard after the fact (ie, I've married her, she's pregnant, its too late to fix things back lets make some deals to mollify everyone) and gotten things sorted out. Some lands/titles etc for the Starks, some for Robert too, I think that if he married her, even polygamously, and she was pregnant and clearly willing/happy, the Starks could have lived with that and Robert would have too, without the support of everyone else.

Nope, he fucked up the moment he decided  to take that route and it's unlikely that either the Starks, and almost impossible for Robert, to let things stand like that.  Besides polygamy aren't a thing, they would be at best seen as a joke, at worst it would provoke real revolt.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, DowagerQueenAlyssaVelaryon said:

Rhaegar's story is that of failure.  He didn't produce a third child.  He planned to but failed.  

Yes, it was possible to get a third child but that child would have been a bastard.  He was already married to Elia.  Their children consummated their marriage.  He could sleep with any random woman and have the child.  The child would be a bastard.  Sleeping with most unmarried women and even married ones would not result in war.  So the answer is yes, theoretically he could have had a third child without starting a war.  

Archived