UK Politics: What about a Masquerade?

Tywin Manderly

9 hours ago, Isis said:

If you're interested in an update on testing from the scientists setting up and doing the testing (the ones who do this professionally, like me) then there's an update from the president of the Institute of Biomedical Science.

The UK must avoid a 'Wild West Testing' scenario

That's interesting - it's evident that providers & the biomedical scientists are cognizant of a shortage of testing kits & reagents. It seems like a mess on an operational level when you combine what I posted & the statement you posted by the president of the IBMS. Curious if you'ed know, but I would assume most labs housed inside hospitals/ trusts/ NHS labs are delivered by the HCPC registered scientists & are UKAS accredited?

It seems ridiculous to me that these mass testing centers aren't going to be using the expertise of the IBMS. Honestly, after reading the providers report & the IBMS statement, I'm more convinced at how much of a mess this all has been & is continuing to be when you read first hand accounts on people on the ground dealing with this stuff.

My issue is with the widely reported heavy-handed policing of the lockdown, compared with the absolute boneheaded stupidity of the same police force allowing hundreds of people to congregate on a bridge to do the exact opposite of helping protect NHS staff, who, let's face it, they'll probably now be meeting in a few weeks when admitted to hospital with Covid-19.

I mean, some Westminster police inspector has to be aware that a large part of his resources are parked on Westminster bridge, blue lights flashing, flouting the lockdown, with a bunch of morons.

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why? You imply police shouldnt be enforcing lockdown in your previous post. Now you want them to? Or is your issue with the officers being there to show support? Its impossible to get within 2m of someone if you stay near your vehicle. And as they are working in a closed environment all day anyway, with the same people most days, what difference does it make? 

We have a hard enough job to do at the minute without wankers spouting shite all over the internet. 

My concern is more with all the strangers standing well, well within 2 metres of one another on the bridge.

The new thing is people clutching to studies suggesting that 78% of people may be asymptomatic so it's pointless to keep the lockdown in place and we should reopen the economy immediately.

The evidence supporting such figures seems to be dubious, at best.

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

My issue is with the widely reported heavy-handed policing of the lockdown, compared with the absolute boneheaded stupidity of the same police force allowing hundreds of people to congregate on a bridge to do the exact opposite of helping protect NHS staff, who, let's face it, they'll probably now be meeting in a few weeks when admitted to hospital with Covid-19.

I mean, some Westminster police inspector has to be aware that a large part of his resources are parked on Westminster bridge, blue lights flashing, flouting the lockdown, with a bunch of morons.

Widely reported, must be true. 3200 tickets by the whole of the service in 3 weeks hardly screams heavy enforcement. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

And no, they arent all from westminster, how many police do you think there are on duty in one BCU at any time?

So they've all driven down there especially. Brilliant.

Tell me, when did 'stand on your doorstep or balcony' become 'descend en masse to central London and gather in a large crowd' to show your support?

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, that'll be why police, all over the country, have been told to reign it in and stop being silly.

I've been harassed personally by the police three times so far while walking to the supermarket.

But no BFC it's definitely not happening...

Just now, Spockydog said:

So they've all driven down there especially. Brilliant.

Tell me, when did 'stand on your doorstep or balcony' become 'descend en masse to central London and gather in a large crowd' to show your support?

It's a bridge, you think Westminster is both sides of the bridge? 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's a bridge, you think Westminster is both sides of the bridge? 

Ah, so this was was jointly co-ordinated idiocy by Lambeth and Westminster police. Perhaps Southwark even joined in the fun? 

4 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I've been harassed personally by the police three times so far while walking to the supermarket.

But no BFC it's definitely not happening...

That sucks. But it's not evidence of a nationwide trend. 

There have been loads of stories of coppers overstepping the mark before being reminded of their responsibilities since lockdown began.

If you continue to deny this has been a thing, I'll have a dozen links for you within half an hour.

I mean, after one of these incidents, you yourself said you'd never been more ashamed of being police. Or did that never happen?

(EDIT: Just checked. It was March 27 you said that.)

And I'm still waiting to hear when 'stand on your doorstep or balcony' become 'descend en masse to Central London and gather in a large crowd' to show your support.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

There is no lambeth, westminster or southwark police. 

Oooooo, forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for the designation of local police departments.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Oooooo, forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for the designation of local police departments.

Well you seem to know so much about what police are doing, or should be doing, I thought you would at least know that. 

Come on, let's hear your solution on how the police should ensure social distancing while not appearing heavy handed. 

Engage, explain, encourage, enforce is current policy. Which is being adhered to, a few idiots doesn't make it a bad policy. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well you seem to know so much about what police are doing, or should be doing, I thought you would at least know that. 

Come on, let's hear hour solution on how the police should ensure social distancing while not appearing heavy handed. 

So your argument completely breaks down and you resort to acting like you're in a children's playground.

I don't fucking know what's best. It's not my job. But I agree with the Mayor, and the staff in St Thomas's Hospital looking on with fear and disbelief, in that what happened on Westminster Bridge last night is not it.

I mean, apart from the idiots on that bridge last night, you seem to be one of the few people not to see any problem.

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

So your argument completely breaks down and you resort to acting like you're in a children's playground.

I don't fucking know what's best. It's not my job. But I agree with the Mayor, and the staff in St Thomas's Hospital looking on with fear and disbelief, in that what happened on Westminster Bridge last night is not it.

I mean, apart from the idiots on that bridge last night, you seem to be one of the few people not to see any problem.

I dont see how someone saying 'the police are heavy handed/why weren't the police doing something about this' can criticise anyones argument.

Of course I see a problem but what should the police have done about it? Ticketed 500 people showing support for our healthcare workers? How would that have looked?

The police themselves are in no more danger as they don't get the privilege of self isolating.   

Archived