Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

This year has been shit for me being able to watch any matches whatsoever, but I think I'm going to splurge and get a subscription for December-January to experience the Boxing Day test. 

Wish I could pop across the border and watch it with you! I'm not so far from you these days X-Ray...

/stalker

I'm a little surprised at some of the selections for tonight's match...Australia looks set to open with Wade and Burns, with Green making his debut, while India are going for Shaw at the top and Saha as 'keeper.

I would have made gone in the opposite direction: Harris and maybe an experienced player like Khawaja or Marsh at the top, while leaving Wade in the middle order. And I would've picked Gill and Pant. Pant is too much of a talent to not be in this line-up. 

Anyway, let's see how it goes! I'm expecting India to put in a big fight in this match. With Kohli soon the depart the tour, they desperately need to make a good start in the series. 

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

Are there going to be spectators for the Australia-India tests? I guess Australia is one of the few places where that would be plausible at the moment.

If there's one thing you know Australia will try to permit during a pandemic it's...mass gatherings of people to watch live sport. 

So yes, upwards of 20,000 expected at the Adelaide Oval. 

ETA: Lol. Shaw gone in the first over. Great selection India!

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

If there's one thing you know Australia will try to permit during a pandemic it's...mass gatherings of people to watch live sport. 

So yes, upwards of 20,000 expected at the Adelaide Oval. 

ETA: Lol. Shaw gone in the first over. Great selection India!

To be fair, the numbers are well under control (specially Adelaide). So why not. Also, its a small city so outbreaks aren't going to be as dangerous as if it was in Melbourne and Sydney. 20k is like half their population :P

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

To be fair, the numbers are well under control (specially Adelaide). So why not. Also, its a small city so outbreaks aren't going to be as dangerous as if it was in Melbourne and Sydney. 20k is like half their population :P

I just find it hilarious that crossing the SA/WA border is not possible, but it’s fine to have 20,000 people at a sports stadium.

Strange country that you live in!

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

I just find it hilarious that crossing the SA/WA border is not possible, but it’s fine to have 20,000 people at a sports stadium.

Strange country that you live in!

Think that's more WA being it's usual self, than a real indication of risk. Last known infected person out in the community here was near a month ago at this point.

Pretty good contest from what I've seen so far. Australia won't be unhappy, but if India's tail can hold up a little and push their total near 300 it may be competitive, especially with the pink ball.

2 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Think that's more WA being it's usual self, than a real indication of risk.

True. Reminds me why I don't live there anymore...and that they are unlikely to let me back in to visit until late 2021!

India's tail...it's hard to put much faith in them to get up beyond 300. It's a shame because India could have the likes of Pandya, Pant and Jadeja in the lower order, which would pack a real punch (though the latter is currently injured). Instead they have Saha and Ashwin. 

Kohli was grinding to a century, Rahane will be an endangered species. He got out only a few overs later, I wouldn't have wanted to be in the dressing room with Kohli so soon after running him out!

Limp effort from India with the bat, they could have done much better. Their bowling attack is serviceable - Bumrah is very good, and Ashwin has a good record as a spinner (though many spinners have gone to die in Australia), and Shami and Yadav aren't bad backup seamers. But Adelaide is a brutal introduction for overseas bowling attacks.

41 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Kohli was grinding to a century, Rahane will be an endangered species. He got out only a few overs later, I wouldn't have wanted to be in the dressing room with Kohli so soon after running him out!

Limp effort from India with the bat, they could have done much better. Their bowling attack is serviceable - Bumrah is very good, and Ashwin has a good record as a spinner (though many spinners have gone to die in Australia), and Shami and Yadav aren't bad backup seamers. But Adelaide is a brutal introduction for overseas bowling attacks.

I think India's attack lacks depth. Shami and Bumrah are world-class and both have good records in Aus. But Ashwin's record is ordinary: 8 matches, 27 wickets at nearly 50. So yeah...I would be going for Jadeja if he was fit. At least he gives you some batting depth.

Yadav is also a bit of a lineball selection in my view: 9 matches in Australia, also 27 wickets at 45.

This innings is finishing up quickly. Any first innings score under 300 is atrocious at Adelaide.

4 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I think India's attack lacks depth. Shami and Bumrah are world-class and both have good records in Aus.

I agree, Shami and Bumrah have good records but Ashwin and Yadav less so in Australia. I think the difference with this Indian bowling attack (compared to previous decades) is that they do have some good experience of winning sides playing in Australia, and records like Shami and Bumrah show that they know how it's done.

I'm less concerned about Yadav - as the third seamer, he isn't meant to be a strike bowler. But it's true they are missing an incisive spinner, I don't know whether Jadeja would have been any better than Ashwin in that respect, although as you note his batting would have been better. (Ashwin's isn't too bad mind you).

6 minutes ago, Jeor said:

This innings is finishing up quickly. Any first innings score under 300 is atrocious at Adelaide.

India scored 250 in 2018. Won...

But this time Australia has Bradman 2.0 in the line-up. 

ETA: Oh and Ashwin's batting? His top test score since mid-2017 is 38. He's almost becoming a genuine tail-ender. 

ETA#2: Any predictions on how poor old Burns goes? Talk about the least popular batting selection in recent memory...

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

India scored 250 in 2018. Won...

But this time Australia has Bradman 2.0 in the line-up. 

Oh, I must have forgotten about that! But opening troubles aside, I expect Australia's batting to pile on the runs - certainly more than 244. The conditions are beautiful - blue sky, second day pitch, Adelaide pitch. Unless Bumrah and Shami can conjure up some pink-ball magic in the night session, Australia are primed for a big advantage by stumps.

20 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

How long has Wade been opening?

I turned the match on, saw Wade walking off and thought there’s a game on here. Maybe less so since Australia are only one down.

I think it was his first time opening in a First Class match. There is a whole saga around Aus' openers but basically:

1. Warner - injured in the ODIs
  2. Pucovski - concussed for the millionth time 
  3. Harris - no real form or reason to pick him again

So they promoted Wade. 

India bowling just OK but keeping themselves in the match. These two are the key wickets. Then we will know how bad 250 was batting first!

ETA: Oh dear that drop from Bumrah.

Archived