Does Your Office Workspace Practice Active Shooter Drills?

Jaxom 1974

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

What did you do on 9/11?  They let anyone go home if they wanted and make counselors available, but classes still proceeded the rest of the day and we didn't do any drill.  I remember watching the towers fall in..I wanna say photography class.  Then I got high most of the rest of the day and went to my after-school job.

First hour French 2 class it went over the speakers that all classes were suspended. Teach got a call shortly after and another announcement went out to go to your homeroom classes. There we watched the towers fall over and over until Mrs. Norris turned it off and we reenacted a play given she was our English and Lit teacher. After a bit we went to the bomb shelter at the church across the sport fields and lake. They let those of us who rode bikes or had parents picking them up leave early, otherwise you had to wait for the buses from what I heard.

You were a few years ahead of me though. My buddies and I also loved to get high and develop film in the dark room in HS. Teach didn't even care if we came in drunk or stoned. The only time I got suspended from HS though was on a photography class field trip, but I got away with my weed and a step-brother and I ended up going to see the last Star Wars prequel after getting kicked out of the main amusement park in our state. Fun day, if I can transition from a sad story to a silly one. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You were a few years ahead of me though.

True, although my sister is a few years younger, she woulda been in...eighth grade at the Middle School next door.  I don't remember her having to do anything like that either.  Could be wrong though, hard to remember a lot from those years.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

True, although my sister is a few years younger, she woulda been in...eighth grade at the Middle School next door.  I don't remember her having to do anything like that either.  Could be wrong though, hard to remember a lot from those years.

I'm guessing no one had any idea what was going on and the bomb shelter plan probably seemed like the best idea.

I work at a small college and yes, we have active shooter drills. I’ve seen the “Run, Hide, Fight!” video many times. We have lockdown drills.  We’ve also had the campus locked down for several hours due to false alarms.  Every summer (well, not this one) there’s also a large scale emergency/disaster  drill with pretend hostages, assigned injuries,  fake blood, SWAT teams, EMT services, helicopters, and news media. I always avoid campus those days, but if you participate they give you free breakfast and lunch. 

2 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

I work at a small college and yes, we have active shooter drills. I’ve seen the “Run, Hide, Fight!” video many times. We have lockdown drills.  We’ve also had the campus locked down for several hours due to false alarms.  Every summer (well, not this one) there’s also a large scale emergency/disaster  drill with pretend hostages, assigned injuries,  fake blood, SWAT teams, EMT services, helicopters, and news media. I always avoid campus those days, but if you participate they give you free breakfast and lunch. 

Yeah.  It seems to be isolated that way.  But could your drills be more due to the false alarms?

8 hours ago, DMC said:

What did you do on 9/11?  They let anyone go home if they wanted and make counselors available, but classes still proceeded the rest of the day and we didn't do any drill.  I remember watching the towers fall in..I wanna say photography class.  Then I got high most of the rest of the day and went to my after-school job.

On 9/11 I was just starting my apprenticeship and had no idea what had happened because I only listened to mixtape cassettes me and my friends made at the time. I was wearing this vintage shirt from the early 80s I’d found at a thrift store that had a mushroom cloud and “That’s All, Folks!” In the looney tunes font above. It was my favorite shirt and on heavy rotation at the time and when I walked into the shop it turned out to be a very unfortunate coincidence. I put the shirt away somewhere because it was gonna be awhile before it was socially acceptable to wear, and ended up losing it entirely. 

33 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I was wearing this vintage shirt from the early 80s I’d found at a thrift store that had a mushroom cloud and “That’s All, Folks!” In the looney tunes font above. It was my favorite shirt and on heavy rotation at the time and when I walked into the shop it turned out to be a very unfortunate coincidence.

Oof, that had to be quite uncomfortable.  But still, quite the amusing anecdote.  My main question, why were you listening to cassettes in 2001?  There was, like, napster and shit.  Sucks you lost the shirt.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Oof, that had to be quite uncomfortable.  But still, quite the amusing anecdote.  My main question, why were you listening to cassettes in 2001?  There was, like, napster and shit.  Sucks you lost the shirt.

Because mostly of the songs were from punk 7” records and it was easy to get a stereo with a turntable and recording tape deck for a reasonable price and basically impossible to get a turntable you could rip mp3 to computer for a not hideous amount of money to an 18 year old in 2001

14 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Anyone else have to do tornado drills in school? 

Those were always fun. You were out of class for a bit and all you had to do was sit in the fetal position in the hallway for a while. 

13 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Now tornado drills are another thing. Being in the middle of Tornado Alley, we practiced tornado drills more often than fire drills, except we were taught to shelter in place under our desks. 

I grew up in Tornado Alley as well.  I remember those tornado drills and getting in a fetal position in the windowless hallways.  I also remember that someone had to open the windows.  (I did a quick internet search just now.  Evidently, people aren't supposed to do that.) 

I too remember doing tornado drills more often than fire drills.

12 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

It seems like you're only an event away from learning how to hold a machine gun at your hip while waving it back and forth spray and screaming

We had nuclear attack drills.  The air raid siren would go off and the teacher would line us up and lead us to the shelter.  I also remember getting under our desks.  The main thing was just knowing where the shelter was at all.  This was when I was in elementary school in the late seventies which I've learned is late for those drills to occur. 

4 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Because mostly of the songs were from punk 7” records and it was easy to get a stereo with a turntable and recording tape deck for a reasonable price and basically impossible to get a turntable you could rip mp3 to computer for a not hideous amount of money to an 18 year old in 2001

Pretty sure the last time I listened to a cassette was when Titanic's soundtrack came out. By 01' CD players were fairly cheap (everyone had the silver dual cd/mp3) and all you had to do was pirate shit online and burn it to a blank CD. 

The shirt story is awesome though. I'd still rock that sucker if I had one.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It seems like you're only an event away from learning how to hold a machine gun at your hip while waving it back and forth spray and screaming

https://www.hamilton.edu/news/story/national-guard-ny-police-emergency-drill

It was fun to see the helicopter land, since my office overlooks the rugby field, and I had to step over a "body" (plastic dummy)  in a pool of blood when I left as they were setting up part of the drill.

https://wibx950.com/hamilton-college-with-new-york-state-police-and-local-agencies-conduct-full-scale-emergency-drill/

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah.  It seems to be isolated that way.  But could your drills be more due to the false alarms?

The big ones are annual events. The other ones are to test the campus emergency system. 

34 minutes ago, Whitestripe said:

https://www.hamilton.edu/news/story/national-guard-ny-police-emergency-drill

It was fun to see the helicopter land, since my office overlooks the rugby field, and I had to step over a "body" (plastic dummy)  in a pool of blood when I left as they were setting up part of the drill.

https://wibx950.com/hamilton-college-with-new-york-state-police-and-local-agencies-conduct-full-scale-emergency-drill/

This sounds deeply unethical. Who authorized this?

I mean I once shot someone in the back with a paintball gun after I told him to freeze from less than six feet, and I also shot a kid in the eye with a rocket Nerf gun, causing him to need glasses, but forcing people to walk over simulated dead bodies in a pool of blood seems like a step to far. And in many settings I've taken things a step too far, but yo, JFC....

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This sounds deeply unethical. Who authorized this?

I mean I once shot someone in the back with a paintball gun after I told him to freeze from less than six feet, and I also shot a kid in the eye with a rocket Nerf gun, causing him to need glasses, but forcing people to walk over simulated dead bodies in a pool of blood seems like a step to far. And in many settings I've taken things a step too far, but yo, JFC....

No, you’re misunderstanding, or I’m not being clear, that part of the exercise was in my building, which was mostly empty that day. It was clearly marked with signs and I knew that unusual sights weren’t real.   I left mid-day as they were getting ready to start the exercise because I didn’t want to hear yells and banging all afternoon. I went through the staging area, and thus over the body. I got more of a laugh than a startle. I also have the type of job where I can come and go as I please so nobody was forcing anything. Had I left out the back door I wouldn’t have seen anything at all. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pretty sure the last time I listened to a cassette was when Titanic's soundtrack came out. By 01' CD players were fairly cheap (everyone had the silver dual cd/mp3) and all you had to do was pirate shit online and burn it to a blank CD. 

The shirt story is awesome though. I'd still rock that sucker if I had one.

Tons of very underground music wasn’t online at all and only ever released on 7” vinyl because at the time it was the cheapest method. I still have some records of bands you can find no trace of online that only existed for a few months in the 90s, and also some stuff from bands that were fairly successful after with songs you can’t find elsewhere. Napster was great for finding mainstream stuff, but sucked for very niche genre music.

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Napster was great for finding mainstream stuff, but sucked for very niche genre music.

Yeah that makes sense.  Misunderstood what you were referring to.

Archived