U.S. Politics: End Testing, Make Schools Safe Again!

Jace, Extat

58 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

This is what a narcissist is. 

Not necessarily. A plain narcissist can disregard much if not all of what you said.

Someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, on the other hand, may have no ability to do so. Small, but important differences though and they can have dramatically different outcomes

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not necessarily. A plain narcissist can disregard much if not all of what you said.

Someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, on the other hand, may have no ability to do so. Small, but important differences though and they can have dramatically different outcomes

Sorry, you're right. I'm talking specifically about NPD, which Trump exhibits all the classic symptoms of and then some. I doubt very seriously if Trump has any ability to show any kind of empathy to anyone who isn't his child, and only then because they are extensions of him. 

And the US happily elected him. 

So when people point to my lack of faith in Democracy, well, Trump is the apotheosis of that. I don't know how to fix people to suck less in the aggregate.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

He's been hemmorhaging suburban voters, so this is quite a play for them. I wonder if it will work.

I honestly don't see how it moves the needle that much; suburbanites (speaking as one) don't like to be reminded that their suburban dream was purchased with racism.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Here is an astounding email sent to a reporter from a Gohmert staffer:

Louie Gohmert let his own staff find out from the press that he was infected.

I guess working for an amoral, science-rejecting dumbass has its drawbacks.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook-pm/2020/07/29/why-the-capitol-needs-testing-489917

Holy fucking shit. That's just...

I think I might have found a competitor for dumbest politician:

DeSantis

At a press conference in Orlando on Tuesday, DeSantis called the mounting deaths, "tough things to see."

But, he said, they likely occurred weeks ago so don't reflect recent trends, which he insisted were positive. The deaths enter the system after they are verified by the Florida Department of Health. The agency does not publicly provide the date of death.

You just recorded your state's highest death rate in a 24 hour period as cases have been exploding, you concur that it's likely many of these deaths happened over the past few weeks, and you think your death rate is going to go down???

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Sorry, you're right. I'm talking specifically about NPD, which Trump exhibits all the classic symptoms of and then some. I doubt very seriously if Trump has any ability to show any kind of empathy to anyone who isn't his child, and only then because they are extensions of him. 

Not to psych-grad tut-tut you again, but not exactly. Trump doesn't just demonstrate one underlying psychological problem. I feel comfortable saying without any doubt that at the very least he is also a sadist. Everything about him suggests he really does derive pleasure in hurting others. He also demonstrates signs of Antisocial Personality Disorder, but I am not qualified to discuss further how those three things interact. He also appears to have some other underlying issues, but like I said, I can't speak to how they interrelate (an abusive father and distant mother would be good starting points to explore things, though)

NPD often have sadistic tendencies because they want to punish anyone who hurts them or impugns them or pierces their worldview bubble. Sadism is generally saved for actually gaining sexual arousal from hurting others, and there's no indication of that. 

32 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

NPD often have sadistic tendencies because they want to punish anyone who hurts them or impugns them or pierces their worldview bubble. Sadism is generally saved for actually gaining sexual arousal from hurting others, and there's no indication of that. 

So taking a break from my demonic sexual exploits, I decided to read an old personality psych textbook of mine. Sadism isn't specifically discussed, but I think you can draw enough inferences to get the idea of NPD. Everything is there.

1. Grandiose sense of self-importance.

check

2. Preoccupations with fantasies of ultimate attainment.

check

3. Belief that he or she should only associate with others who are "special."

check

4. Requirement for excessive admiration.

check

5. Sense of entitlement.

check

6. Exploitation of others. 

check

7. Lack of empathy.

check

8. Enviousness.

check

9. Arrogant behavior and attitudes.

check

It's worth noting that you should be able to mask at least some of this. That he demonstrates each personality flaw underlying NPD and can't control any of them is frightening.  

Now the section on Borderline Personality Disorder isn't so cut and dried, but you could talk yourself into it as well. None of the underlying diagnosis are wrong, they just may not also be 100% right. They're all slam dunks for NPD though. 

There's a chart on page 618 (Funder, 2007) that is a bit troubling though. When you look at what the big five personality traits are, and then their composition to the actual various disorders, while they're not all bad, the sum is overwhelmingly troubling. The only two you could spin as positive, which interestingly are for NPD, Trump shows no signs of. 

A note on today's Worldometer screen.

Texas:
There has been (and currently is) a steep discrepancy in the total number of deaths reported by state and county official sources since July 27, when the Texas Department of State Health Services started counting deaths marked on death certificates as caused by COVID-19, whereas previously the state relied on local and regional public health departments to verify and report deaths. The city of Houston (representing the most notable example of such discrepancies, with Harris County reporting 685 total deaths while the state's dashboard reports 1,182 deaths) says it plans to switch to the state’s method of reporting deaths in the next few days, according to reports citing Dr. David Persse, Houston Health Authority. Counties affected are, among others: Harris, Bexar, Cameron, Galveston, Fort Bend, and Denton. Worldometer is monitoring the situation closely and trying to reconcile the conflicting reporting as best as possible pending a timely reconciliation between the two sources.

Been yakking about the $1200 stimulus checks and $600 in unemployment benefits with my Conservative Coworker (CC).  His often repeated statement is 'too much money' - somewhat understandable as Post Office world is being buried under a ever growing mountain of packages.  City carriers and clerks where I'm at are pulling 12 hour shifts and STILL falling way behind.  (We're highway contractors)

His deal is people are using this money to avoid going back to work and to buy stupid stuff.  (He has a point of sorts on the 'stupid stuff' part. - there must be hucksters out there getting stinking rich off of some of this stuff).

Walked him through a quick and dirty summary of where the money in the last stimulus package went: call it 400 billion for the stimulus checks, a bit less for the extended benefits, so much to help out state and local governments and keep small businesses afloat (he didn't object to those), then I told him...'well, you add all that up, and there is a damn big pile of money that just plain went missing - something on the order of as much as all those stimulus checks.'

He looks at me and goes, 'well, of course you got to give some to the crooks.'

I told him that 'stolen' money will almost certainly never benefit anybody other than a handful of already stinking rich people.  The cash from the stimulus and unemployment checks, though - that'd help a lot of people make rent, buy groceries, and keep businesses from going under - and besides, it comes from money they paid in taxes.

He goes, 'yeah, I can see that.'

I ask, 'well, why are you so concerned about them, then, instead of this huge stack of money that got stolen.'

Him: 'that's not important.'

Looking forward to demon sperm:) Trump is a malignant narcissist. Tywin outlined narcissism quite well.

The GOP is malignant. One could say evil, but there are problems with that.

There I filled out the two people that I know on my dem primary ballot and left the rest blank. It’s in the mail, but it probably will get there on the slow ferry.

George couldn’t make up anything sillier than demon sperm, ( wait Melisandre though) except have you read about the Salem witch trials? Fiction meets reality. Truly sorry for my American left wing brothers and sisters that I know. I knew reasonable moderates on the right who were appalled by Trump.

Democrats need to watch Apollo 13 for hope. That’s how I see democrat campaigners. We have to make a CO2 filter out of socks n stuff.

Top executives at U.S. public companies made an average of $14.8 million last year, 264 times their employees' earnings, a gap that will widen dramatically this year because of the pandemic, the AFL-CIO said Wednesday.

In its Executive Paywatch report, the nation's largest labor federation said CEOs at companies listed on the benchmark S&P 500 index saw their compensation increase by about $300,000 from 2018. While the pay gap with ordinary workers narrowed slightly in 2019 from the previous year, that gain will be short-lived because of the more than 30 million workers who have lost their jobs this year.

“The disparity is horrific and it represents a fundamental imbalance in our economy,” AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Liz Shuler said during a press conference this morning. "It exposes massive inequality."

CEO-to-worker pay gap to surge with coronavirus, AFL-CIO says
The largest pay disparity recorded on the S&P was at auto parts company Aptiv, with a ratio of 2,077 to 1.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/29/ceo-worker-pay-gap-coronavirus-386394

24 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

“The disparity is horrific and it represents a fundamental imbalance in our economy,” AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Liz Shuler said during a press conference this morning. "It exposes massive inequality."

CEO-to-worker pay gap to surge with coronavirus, AFL-CIO says
The largest pay disparity recorded on the S&P was at auto parts company Aptiv, with a ratio of 2,077 to 1.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/29/ceo-worker-pay-gap-coronavirus-386394

Building off that, remember back in March and April, when all those poor CEOs and C-suite execs took pay cuts to show solidarity with the workers they were throwing out in the cold? 

Well...of course it was all bullshit (NYT limited clicks). 

A survey of some 3,000 public companies shows that the cuts — which, so far, have come in the form of salary reductions — were tiny compared with their total pay last year. Total pay includes things like bonuses and stock awards that typically make up the bulk of what corporate bosses take home.

Only a small percentage of the companies cut salaries for their senior executives at all, which is surprising given that the pandemic has crushed profits and sales for many companies, forcing large layoffs. But even among businesses that did cut the boss’s pay, two-thirds of the chief executives took reductions that were equivalent to only 10 percent or less of their 2019 compensation, according to an analysis by CGLytics, a compensation analysis firm.

Heads. Spikes. Walls.

I realized a long time ago that I am not wired to become a wealthy CEO because as soon as I finished year 1 of my 14.5 million average CEO salary I would fucking quit and retire. As long as you didn’t do anything obscene with the money, like buy a ridiculous castle or a bunch of dumbass cars or something, that’s a god damn fortune and you are set for life.  Move to the mountains and do fun things all day and tell workin’ for a living that it can fucking pound sand. 

I honestly have a hard time understanding why literally everyone who gets in those positions doesn’t do that.  Which, probably, is why I’ll never get anywhere near a position like that. :lol:

For a lot of people wealth is relative. People on Six figure incomes look up to millionaires, people sitting on a couple of mil feel like paupers next to people with a few dozen mil and those people are always gazing wistfully at the people they think are really actually rich.

Then you get to the Zuckerberg level and start dreaming of being Augustus...

1 hour ago, S John said:

I realized a long time ago that I am not wired to become a wealthy CEO because as soon as I finished year 1 of my 14.5 million average CEO salary I would fucking quit and retire. As long as you didn’t do anything obscene with the money, like buy a ridiculous castle or a bunch of dumbass cars or something, that’s a god damn fortune and you are set for life.  Move to the mountains and do fun things all day and tell workin’ for a living that it can fucking pound sand. 

I honestly have a hard time understanding why literally everyone who gets in those positions doesn’t do that.  Which, probably, is why I’ll never get anywhere near a position like that. :lol:

I have a friend who doesn't make that a year, but could probably sell up and be in the ball park. I asked him why he didn't, he said 'what would I do? I stopped caring about the money years ago'. 

The company runs itself yet he still works 12-14 hours a day. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have a friend who doesn't make that a year, but could probably sell up and be in the ball park. I asked him why he didn't, he said 'what would I do? I stopped caring about the money years ago'. 

The company runs itself yet he still works 12-14 hours a day. 

Literally anything. 

I enjoy my job but god damn I'd take retirement every day of the week hah. 

Archived