US Politics: The Roll Call Heard Across America

Fragile Bird

34 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I find this virtul con / dnc far more palatable than the "real" thing. Less pomp, less faux drama...

It's really interesting that this is conceptualized for a carefully curated, even in some cases, packaged sequence of events and speeches and presentations -- even obviously carefully rehearsed as with Jennifer Hudson and Royce Prince --  that they affected us with genuine emotion.  Those damned tv Cons probably turned off more voters than otherwise with the obvious fake grandstanding and such.

3 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

How about allowing presidential pardons at any time during their term except the last six months?  I think any president knowing coming in that they have 3 1/2 years to pardon to their heart's content is reasonable.  Something like this would seem to both give presidents enough time and voters enough opportunity to take pardons into account.  I don't know, just spitballin'.:dunno:

I dunno, that leaves the door closed for some people. A case like Cyntoia Brown I’d always like a president to have the opportunity to pardon. But I do think it would be wise to disallow them from pardoning members of their own administration

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

In 2016 it was a hypothetical argument, in 2020 it's one people can feel.  

I just can't see how anyone's views on Trump aren't locked in.  Which seems to be agreed on by the below post (i.e. views on Trump aren't shifting much).  I'm not saying don't mention Trump at all, they definitely should.  But also try and give a positive message.  We're going to do the public option on healthcare, which is so important due to COVID, which is so bad due to Trump.  Emphasise that Trump is litigating to take away your healtchare.  Say that Dems will be expanding it.  

You can do similar on other topics Dems have much better that are front and centre due to the pandemic.  Bankruptcy, loan forgiveness, employee protections, etc.  Use the pandemic to demonstrate why the Dem policy platform is the better option.

It also gives you more of a mandate for change if you've argued these positions stridently during the campaign.  

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

Unfortunately that does not seem to be true. On the 538 combined chart, Trump's highest disapproval was 57.5% way back in August of 2017, and his disapproval as of today is 53.8%.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

8 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I hate to be cynical, but Biden's message until up to a few months ago was always that he wasn't interested in the public option and definitely not single payer. He's always talked about tweaking Obamacare. I mean, given the scope of the pandemic, you'd think he might wait until he was elected as President to drop progressive goals.

Didn't Biden campaign during the primaries on a public option?  It is his position on his website, but it doesn't say when it became his policy.  

https://joebiden.com/healthcare/#

Giving Americans a new choice, a public health insurance option like Medicare. If your insurance company isn’t doing right by you, you should have another, better choice. Whether you’re covered through your employer, buying your insurance on your own, or going without coverage altogether, the Biden Plan will give you the choice to purchase a public health insurance option like Medicare. As in Medicare, the Biden public option will reduce costs for patients by negotiating lower prices from hospitals and other health care providers. It also will better coordinate among all of a patient’s doctors to improve the efficacy and quality of their care, and cover primary care without any co-payments. And it will bring relief to small businesses struggling to afford coverage for their employees.

Yep, some more googling, Vox article from June last year on Biden's public option plan:

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/16/20694598/joe-biden-health-care-plan-public-option

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

As we wait for the final night of the Democratic Convention to start, please provide some suggestions for the GOP Convention bingo card!

SJW, forced diversity, Gene's vision... No wait, that was Star Trek.

Hmmm... Apart from the China thing, I'm guessing they'll try to get very personal, including birther stuff? I have no clue, it's hard to tell from here. I hope they will let Trump ramble on about sharks and women and viruses and everything, then again, that didn't stop his getting elected before...

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Love how Dreyfus just stressed that "he reads." Remember when we thought that was a given for a politician? Oooh, tax returns.

ETA: Link for international viewers, I don't think the cbs site will work for us.

Yang is not inspiring. Hate Dreyfuss.

The Chicks sang the hell outta that.  Still the wrong anthem due to the point of the verses written, to exult that the Brits ain't gonna make our slaves go away!

36 minutes ago, ants said:

I just can't see how anyone's views on Trump aren't locked in. 

Things will only move at the margins from where they are now absent some unpredictable event. What matters most now is securing free and fair elections. Who gives a shit if Biden is up big in the national polls when we have no idea how voting is even going to work. But that said:

8 hours ago, DMC said:

The USC Dornsife tracking poll just released its first batch of data.  They got Biden up 11 points.  Strongly recommend checking out the link, they have very interesting panel data.

Those non-voter numbers are precisely what is needed. If these results can be regularly replicated that should indicate a solid Biden victory, but again, assuming voter suppression doesn't fuck everything up. Knowing the left's luck these days, there will be a blizzard in the Midwest, an earthquake on the West coast, a hurricane will hit the East coast and just because the worst avalanche in Colorado's history will happen. 

What matters is that there has been a slow but steady build in paying attention to this televised event.

It has been exposed murder in chief is watching this and sending constant instructions to his team to do this and that in rebuttal-etc. to tonight.  So let's stick it to 'im!

Cuttin' outta of it as a solitary thing to hook up with Partner for the finish.  Shutting down the pooter.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Those non-voter numbers are precisely what is needed. If these results can be regularly replicated that should indicate a solid Biden victory, but again, assuming voter suppression doesn't fuck everything up. Knowing the left's luck these days, there will be a blizzard in the Midwest, an earthquake on the West coast, a hurricane will hit the East coast and just because the worst avalanche in Colorado's history will happen. 

If you want to come up with bad luck ideas, at least make all of them plausible. The very worst possible avalanche wouldn't affect enough voters in Colorado to be much of a factor. You'd get more disruption if a fuse in a power plant blew and shut down Denver's electricity on election day. :)

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

If you want to come up with bad luck ideas, at least make all of them plausible. The very worst possible avalanche wouldn't affect enough voters in Colorado to be much of a factor. You'd get more disruption if a fuse in a power plant blew and shut down Denver's electricity on election day. :)

Fine, fine, fine. The lizard people emerge from the creepy Denver airport, eat all the liberals and then crawl back underground. Happy?

Archived