US Politics: The Motorcade of Madness

Durckad

27 minutes ago, tzanth said:

At the risk of derailing the thread, I do think this is an issue of privilege. Most first-generation professors I know prefer to be addressed as a "Dr.", while those whose parents are professors almost always prefer to be called by their first name. I personally dislike being addressed as a "Dr." and always use my first name. I can't shake the feeling that it is somewhat classist to go around using honorifics, but I'll admit that feeling itself is probably a product of my relatively privileged background. 

Yes, your perception is a result of your privileged background. There are ample discussions on Twitter among women, and especially Black and Indigenous women, outlining how they MUST insist on honorifics or people will straight-up treat them like shit. Like, for real: This discussion comes up at least once every couple of months and it's always the same. 

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

As I hear these reports about the guys who were planning to overthrow the government of Michigan, I don’t understand what they thought they were going to do next. Set up their own country, the nation of Michigan? Did they think they would have Trump’s support? 

Is there some historic precedent where an armed group of men kicked out the elected state officials? They also planned to overthrow the police, somehow. They wanted to start a civil war in Michigan.

I wonder if these guys were part of the group that pushed their way into the state house.

And of course, Trump famously tweeted LIBERATE MICHIGAN! Kayleigh what’s-her-face attacked the governor for suggesting Trump stoked distrust and fomented anger. “He has always denounced white supremacy!” Lol!

And another member of the WH press corps had tested positive.

Yep https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898 And done by the same type of of assholes.

He's canceling AZ and IN and flying back to D.C. because tomorrow Pelosi starts doing this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pelosi-presidency-succession-trump/2020/10/08/3c71dfae-09a5-11eb-859b-f9c27abe638d_story.html

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.) plan to introduce legislation Friday that would create a commission to “help ensure effective and uninterrupted leadership” in the presidency.

The panel would be called the Commission on Presidential Capacity to Discharge the Powers and Duties of Office, “the body and process called for in the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,” the offices of Pelosi and Raskin said in a statement announcing the move.

The 25th Amendment formalizes that the vice president takes over the duties of the presidency in the event of a president’s death, inability to perform his duties or resignation from office. It also lays out a process by which a sitting president may be removed from office. Congress’s role in this, however, is limited. [....]

So we're gonna have Prez "there are flies on me" Penz.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

I dunno in this case.  Seems like his entire party and staff had to tell him his move was idiotic before he finally changed his mind.

Probably. But we do know what I said is largely true, which is.....horrifying. 

Archived