US Politics: Does the fat man singing count?

Ser Scot A Ellison

49 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but I also told you not to talk to anybody cosplaying as the Mad Hatter from the DC Universe. I explicitly warned you, Roger Stone is like Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther movies. Just unlike Seller's Clouseau he would assault a random Asian guy for no good reason.

Jesus, sorry. I needed Jace's help with the costume. 

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Senate probably won't even take the bill up.

Hopefully, that won't matter.

DEMOCRATS WAITED UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTION BUT FINALLY VOTED TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

The effect of the MORE Act vote, insiders say, is to put pressure on the Biden administration to take executive action to limit the war on drugs, a war whose chief advocate in the Senate for many years was Biden himself.

“For decades, Biden was a senator and led the charge to implement harsh and punitive drug laws during his time as [Senate] judiciary chairman,” from 1987 to 1995, said Tom Angell, the editor of Marijuana Moment, a publication focusing on marijuana policy. “During his 2020 presidential campaign, he started to evolve his position; he called for decriminalizing possession and expunging past records. That’s one reason why it’s important for Congress to pass a bill like this: The vast majority of Democrats want to see this done. The hope among advocates is that it will help speed his evolution to embracing legalization.”

4 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I credit Chris James of Not Even A Show for calling his radio show every week asking him why he fucked his cousin.

I’m sorry, I missed this. Did Rudy Giuliani fuck his cousin? Is Rudy Giuliani the corrupt police chief from Super Troopers?

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

While I agree wholeheartedly Biden should employ whatever unilateral action he can as mentioned in that article (although it's no substitute for the provisions included in the MORE legislation), it's beyond hyperbolic to call Biden the "chief advocate" or even "leading the charge" in regards to the War on Drugs - which started in earnest (shortly) before even he was elected to the Senate.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Do you think he will?

I'm quite hopeful he'll reschedule cannabis via EOs, yes.  As for employing his pardon powers to alleviate mass incarceration, the extent to which he does so and whether that's satisfactory is in the eye of the beholder.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm quite hopeful he'll reschedule cannabis via EOs, yes.  As for employing his pardon powers to alleviate mass incarceration, the extent to which he does so and whether that's satisfactory is in the eye of the beholder.

If charges are never going to be brought, Biden should pardon Trump for blatant obstruction of justice crimes. 

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Let's hope he does the sensible thing. Though, after a cursory brushing up on the fate of bootleggers post Prohibition, I guess many will remain locked up.

In terms of international legality, I predict quite the domino effect.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

If charges are never going to be brought, Biden should pardon Trump for blatant obstruction of justice crimes. 

Why?  Do you mean in an effort to balance widespread clemency for cannabis convicts?  I think that move is too transparent and liable to piss everybody off.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

In terms of international legality, I predict quite the domino effect.

Meh.  Rescheduling isn't the same as decriminalization (let along legalization), and like Fez said the Senate ain't touching this unless the Dems sweep Georgia.  Even then it isn't getting passed.  I don't see an EO or two spurring mass international legalization, but hey I'm no expert on the domestic politics of other countries.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Why?  Do you mean in an effort to balance widespread clemency for cannabis convicts?  I think that move is too transparent and liable to piss everybody off.

Just to troll him. Innocent people don't need pardons after all (it was a tongue-in-cheek remark).

8 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Nope  that was his second wife

What a classy cousinfucker. 

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Don’t forget, thousands of draft dodgers received a mass pardon. The numbers here would dwarf that mass pardon, but it has been done.

Oh, and the Confederate soldiers were mass pardoned.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Don’t forget, thousands of draft dodgers received a mass pardon. The numbers here would dwarf that mass pardon, but it has been done.

That's different.  Over half of draft dodgers weren't actually accused, and pretty much all that were fled.  They weren't actually incarcerated.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's different.  Over half of draft dodgers weren't actually accused, and pretty much all that were fled.  They weren't actually incarcerated.

Hopefully one more will be in the months to come.

Archived