US Politics: Does the fat man singing count?

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So in other words, not probably fake news, but actual fake news.

Telling Isabel that it’s fake news doesn’t help her in her argument with the conservative she’s dealing with. “There’s a video actually showing election fraud happening!” “Fake news!” “You liberals are all liars, it’s there on the video!”

Knowing what the video is so you can respond with more than Trump’s “fake news” bullshit is kind of key, even if the conservative refuses to believe it. 

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A quick search reveals that the video was taken during the machine recount. An employee of Dominion Voting, the voting machine company, is walking from machine to machine downloading the count from each machine to the laptop he’s carrying, part of the recount process.

This is part of the machine recount, which took place after the hand recount. The county where the video was taken was identified and it turns out the machine recount was exactly the same as the hand recount, so no, the technician was not altering votes on the machines.

The Dominion employee was outed by Trump supporters and has faced repeated death threats. This is one of the cases that drew the wrath of Georgia state officials.

If you search “Georgia Senate shown video of election fraud” numerous stories come up. 

He claims its a different one. but i really dont believe anything by the republicans and dont wann go down the rabbithole to find out.

But i thought some people might follow it already.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

It's a HUGE slap in the face to ALL progressives that Biden did not nominate Bernie Sanders as Secretary of STDJIACLHHSHUDTEEVAHS!*

*STDJIACLHHSHUDTEEVAHS is of course the acronym for State, Treasury, Defense, Justice, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, Health & Human Services, Housing & Urban Development, Transportation, Energy, Education, Veterans Affairs, and Homeland Security.

First it's not an acronym, as I doubt you could pronounce it. Unless you are Welsh, in that case you probably thought of a coastal village anyway. (uff, I know Luke is gonna get mad at me for making another throw away Welsh language joke, if he happens to stumble into the US politics thread by accident).

Second and more importantly. You forgot to include Bernie on the Supreme Court. You didn't truely feel the Bern afterall you phoney.

So looks like Lamar Alexander is standing firm against Judy Shelton.  Considering he's weirdly one of the few things in the known universe that can melt McConnell's icy heart, and the widespread respect throughout the GOP caucus for him, doesn't look like they're gonna even try to change his mind anymore.  Even the whip isn't trying to whip his vote:

“He just felt like it was a question of conviction and principle for him,” said Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the Republican whip. “As recently as yesterday there were some folks that were talking to him. But he’s not moving. And I respect that.”

That's pretty much the final nail in the coffin for Shelton.  Meanwhile, Chris Waller - Trump's other nominee to the board - was confirmed yesterday on a party line vote (well, Paul voted nay).

11 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Telling Isabel that it’s fake news doesn’t help her in her argument with the conservative she’s dealing with. “There’s a video actually showing election fraud happening!” “Fake news!” “You liberals are all liars, it’s there on the video!”

Knowing what the video is so you can respond with more than Trump’s “fake news” bullshit is kind of key, even if the conservative refuses to believe it. 

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.  These people believe lies and conspiracy theories because they want to.  I don't know what you could do to convince them otherwise now.  If Jesus himself appeared from on high and told them Trump is a naughty liar defrauding them, they would crucify him again for being fake news, while waving Trump flags.

9 minutes ago, argonak said:

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.  These people believe lies and conspiracy theories because they want to.  I don't know what you could do to convince them otherwise now.  If Jesus himself appeared from on high and told them Trump is a naughty liar defrauding them, they would crucify him again for being fake news, while waving Trump flags.

Oh, I don’t think any of us are going to change their minds, but just saying “fake news” isn’t an answer. You really have to be able to say why it’s fake news.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, I don’t think any of us are going to change their minds, but just saying “fake news” isn’t an answer. You really have to be able to say why it’s fake news.

Do you?  Trump just shouts "Fake News!" and it seems to work for him.  If you wrestle with a pig, you just get dirty and the pig likes it.

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Omg, Roger Stoned is claiming North Korea brought in boatloads of votes for Biden on NK ships through secret harbors in Maine.

He has incontrovertible evidence!

:rofl:

...did they go through the Panama canal or uh a northern passage?? Or the longgg way 'round?

39 minutes ago, Week said:

...did they go through the Panama canal or uh a northern passage?? Or the longgg way 'round?

The Maine thing is pretty funny.  Was California wrapped up in too many other conspiracy theories, and this was a fun way to make it stand out?  It is almost like they are trying to make this unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Omg, Roger Stoned is claiming North Korea brought in boatloads of votes for Biden on NK ships through secret harbors in Maine.

Probably that secret base where the CIA stored the Red Oktober after helping Captain Ramius defect with it!

16 hours ago, DMC said:

"As noted in my article"?  Not sure what that means, but what I noted was even those that aren't exactly supportive of Tanden - like Hauser and Rojas - are not actually opposed to Tanden's appointment.  In other words, they literally are against your standard - if you think Tanden violates it (which seems to clearly be the case).

It's you that's confused about what and who progressives actually are, at least at the elite level and in regards to their reaction to Biden's staffing choices thus far.  I cited two key progressive interest groups, a bunch of progressive elected leaders, and the Revolving Door Project - which is literally the main progressive group that evaluates executive branch employees based on your stated concern of big money ties.  Who exactly have you cited?

Elite progressives. Hm. Look, I want some stats if you're going to say "most." Not "these people that actually count for a million people." I'd actually be more interested in what the DSA is saying about Tanden as they represent the progressive movement most fully around the country. Hell, at this point, with the progressive movement--the people on the ground working--Chapo Traphouse would probably be more accurate at relaying the pulse of the movement than Elizabeth Warren. I don't know their stance, nor care, but the fact you use the elite class as a gauge is where your misunderstanding is coming from.

And, yes, "as noted in your article" meaning "as noted in the article you linked and liked" or whatever. I can't parse the rest of that sentence/paragraph.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

1 hour ago, Week said:

I think he picked up some Panama Red along the way had that’s how he became Roger Stoned.

27 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I'd actually be more interested in what the DSA is saying about Tanden as they represent the progressive movement most fully around the country.

And this reveals your misunderstanding of the progressive movement.  The DSA is 86,000 members.  Is that a part of the progressive movement?  Sure.  But does it "most fully" represent the progressive movement?  No.  It most fully represents your definition of the progressive movement, which is a decidedly isolated and fringe conceptualization.  This is even more apparent with your suggestion that the counter-productive morons of Chapo Trap House "relay the pulse of the movement."

27 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

And, yes, "as noted in your article" meaning "as noted in the article you linked and liked" or whatever. I can't parse the rest of that sentence/paragraph.

You mean Harris' article?  K, I asked cuz I cited multiple articles by the time you responded.  Anyway, obviously you're still not getting the basic premise of Harris' article.  The entire point is that, yes, the stupid left opposes Tanden.  But the stupid left hardly has a monopoly on the progressive movement - and is indeed not echoed by elite representatives - from Warren and Brown to Barbara Lee and Stacey Abrams (who, btw, is on the board of directors at CAP, as is Julian Castro, two politicians most would consider progressive).  Even leaders of prominent progressive groups, like Hauser at Revolving Door, Rojas at Justice Democrats, Data for Progress co-founder Sean McElwee:

"If people look past whatever their Twitter grievances are, they will recognize that a band of possible outcomes became reality in March. And then were further narrowed in November," McElwee said. "And within that band of possible outcomes, Tanden is, I think, one of the better outcomes."

And Progressive Change Campaign Committee co-founder Adam Green:

“Different people have different vantage points on Neera Tanden. I see her selection as a larger signal from Joe Biden that he is rejecting corporate Democrats who would sound like Paul Ryan as they wield the austerity scalpel to cut programs during a pandemic. Instead, he wants the government to help people,” Green said in a recent interview.

Where do they find these impersonators of "star witnesses" for their "hearings"? It's almost as if they deliberately tried to present parodies and see if they can get away with it. "I got a really batshit crazy chick." - "I got an Indian woman who says that all Chinese look the same!" - "But mine will be DRUNK!" - "OK, you win."

Archived