Mixology. Distinct from the Drunk Thread.

mcbigski

46 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

ETA: Rittenhouse Rye absolutely rules for cocktails. That plus the Carpano Antica and the Fee Brothers whiskey-barrel-aged bitters is what makes our ritual of Friday Manhattans so very tasty.

I have both Rittenhouse and its big brother Pikesville Rye on hand.  I need to try a Manhattan with Pikesville.  As far as bitters go, I'm very fond of 18.21's barrel aged Havana & Hyde bitters.  I've heard good things about Fee Brothers, though, and I'm probably going to order a few bottles from them in the near future.  

Next trip to the liquor store will be rum focused, I think.

I went with a pretty classic margarita tonight.

• 2oz tequila - I used Espolon.
  • .5oz orange liqueur - Grand Marnier was what I had on hand and what I went with.
  • .5oz simple syrup - I used a homemade 1.5:1 sugar to water simple syrup.  
  • 1oz lime juice - I juiced a lime and a half because the limes I had were pretty small.  I didn't bother measuring.  

Pour everything into a shaker, add ice, shake for fifteen seconds or so, and strain into a glass filled with ice.  Salted rim is optional.  I was out of kosher salt, so I went without for this one.  You can also substitute agave syrup for the simple syrup, or simply leave it out entirely and do .75oz of your orange liqueur.  That will make for a more tequila-forward drink if that's your thing, which it is for me sometimes.  I wanted something a little sweeter tonight, so I added the simple.  

Garnish with a lime wedge, lime wheel, whatever.  

It's a margarita.  Not exactly rocket science, but it was pretty damn good.  Nice and tart and a little bit sweet.  

Man do I love me some espolon.  I've haven't been drinking recently and probably going to keep it that way for awhile but damn, I think my favorite marg is espolon, fresh squeezed lime juice, and simple syrup.  No triple sec or GM for me.  If I'm gonna go hog-wild, maybe shake it with some strawberries or jalapeno slices.  

Made a mocktail punch the other night.  Orange juice, ginger beer, angostura bitters, and a little pineapple juice.  

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Man do I love me some espolon.  I've haven't been drinking recently and probably going to keep it that way for awhile but damn, I think my favorite marg is espolon, fresh squeezed lime juice, and simple syrup.  No triple sec or GM for me.  If I'm gonna go hog-wild, maybe shake it with some strawberries or jalapeno slices.  

Made a mocktail punch the other night.  Orange juice, ginger beer, angostura bitters, and a little pineapple juice.  

I am planning to make some jalapeno simple syrup in the near future for making spicy margs.  That plus a few dashes of Cholula in the finished drink should make for a nice cocktail.  

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some Drambuie and Monkey Shoulder today so that I could finally introduce myself to the Rusty Nail.  

• 2oz Scotch - I went with Monkey Shoulder, but any other blended or single malt Scotch would work.
  • 1oz Drambuie 

Pour both into a mixing glass, add ice, stir for twenty seconds, and then strain into a rocks glass with ice.  Run a lemon peel around the edge of the glass and drop it inside.  Pretty damn simple.

I'll be honest...I was really surprised by how light and refreshing this was.  I guess I shouldn't be given the ingredients (I regularly sip Islays, so Monkey Shoulder ain't shit), but the name of this cocktail brought forth an image of something much more intense, maybe smoky.  Instead, it's sweet and easy, and a cocktail I'd be happy to sip outside on a hot day.  I'm going to try floating an Islay on top of this one in the near future.  I think that would add some extra kick to it.

17 hours ago, briantw said:
  • 2oz Scotch - I went with Monkey Shoulder, but any other blended or single malt Scotch would work

I’m going to try really hard to forget you said that, on the grounds that flying to the US is currently problematic and jail sounds unpleasant.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

I’m going to try really hard to forget you said that, on the grounds that flying to the US is currently problematic and jail sounds unpleasant.

Wtf is Monkey Shoulder? 
*googles*
Ok, a whisky ‘made for mixing’ does not inspire me with confidence. 
Sounds like ‘meat that would be really great in a curry’. Ie it’s going off and tastes like shit on its own.

7 hours ago, Hereward said:

If I'm being honest, this asshole gatekeeping in whiskey is one of the biggest obstacles to getting regular people on board.

Motherfucker, I mostly drink Islays.  I'm sure I can handle more intense shit than you can.  And you have the nerve to pretend that, because I use Monkey Shoulder in a fucking cocktail, you're better than me.

Fuck you.  Monkey Shoulder is a cheap blended Scotch ideal for Scotch cocktails, at least not ones that require an Islay.  That's how I used it.  

2 hours ago, briantw said:

If I'm being honest, this asshole gatekeeping in whiskey is one of the biggest obstacles to getting regular people on board.

Motherfucker, I mostly drink Islays.  I'm sure I can handle more intense shit than you can.  And you have the nerve to pretend that, because I use Monkey Shoulder in a fucking cocktail, you're better than me.

Fuck you.  Monkey Shoulder is a cheap blended Scotch ideal for Scotch cocktails, at least not ones that require an Islay.  That's how I used it.  

It was a light hearted comment. Calm down. Anyway, it was a comment on wasting a single malt in a cocktail. Once you’ve mixed it with blended whisky, honey and ice, you’re just throwing money away.

Steering clear of any discussion of Whiskey/whisky (can NEVER recall which is which) as I don't really enjoy it as a drink (unless in a cocktail).

Finally getting round to being a bit more serious about making cocktails at home recently. This has led us down the path of trying some of the classics in order to learn and understand certain methods. Had my very first Negroni and Manhattan last month. Still haven't tried a Margarita, but that's up next weekend.

We tried a whisky sour yesterday and found it to be not very sour at all, so that recipe either needs less simple syrup or more lemon juice.

My favourite drink at the moment is the White Lady, which is the missing puzzle piece between a Side Car and a Silver Bullet. A bit like when people knew there were elements as yet undiscovered in the periodic table, I knew there had to be a drink that had lemon juice, gin and cointreau in it - and it's the White Lady (also has a little simple syrup and egg white). It also has a dry shake, which one of my bar colleagues (as in we work a bar together) tells me is for mixing without dilution. I love all of these little things and the chemistry of cocktails.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:08 AM, briantw said:

This cracked me up for numerous reasons. Think of the British sense of humor being just like the heat in Vegas, it can kill you but that’s okay, it’s a dry heat. I’m sure that Hereward has forgotten more things about Scotch than I’ll ever learn in my lifetime, lol!

So where’s the drunk thread? I just made a killer gin n tonic. Well the tonic is cheap so I need to get a better quality bottle. But you know… it’s so hot. It’s 37C (still at 19:37) and I just couldn’t bear to walk all the way to the fancy store. 

people also looked at me like I was psychotic because I’m still wearing a mask to the grocery store. oh well

Archived