Will Aegon carry a false Blackfyre?

Alyn Oakenfist

So I had an idea. It is commonly assumed that Aegon will wield Blackfyre. But what if it's not the actual sword. Now you might ask, how on earth does one fake a Valyrian steel sword. Well you do it by using another.

See of all the Valryian steel swords, most are either gone (Lamentation or Vigilance for example, both lost in the Dance), or wills serve some purpose in the story (like Longclaw or Ice). Except for one. Orphan Maker. So for those who don't know, Orphan Maker is the sword of house Roxton that after the Dance came into the possession of Unwin Peake.

And here we get to the really interesting part. The Golden Company is filled with Peakes due to their role in the Blackfyre rebellions. Is it possible one of them took the sword across the sea? If so, will that sword be disguised as Blackfyre? It be a neat pay off for Orphan Maker existing and it never being mentioned again after the Dance, and add a cool layer to is Aegon real or not dynamic. So what do you think, will Orphan maker be a false Blackfyre?

14 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Given we're given no mention of Maelys having it, I think it was lost

I see. I don’t disagree that it could happen but given that Maelys’ heads were taken back in Essos I would think that along with the head they took the sword back, if it was there from the start.

1 minute ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

but given that Maelys’ heads were taken back in Essos I would think that along with the head they took the sword back, if it was there from the start.

I agree with you, the thing is, for all the Blackfyre rebellions, except that one we know exactly where Blackfyre was. Except for the last where it disappears from the records. That suggests to me it was lost

Just now, Alexis-something-Rose said:

If Aegon wields a Valyrian steel sword, it will be his own, not Blackfyre. I am willing to wager that Blackfyre is not in his or Illyrio/Varys's possession at all. 

Yeah I agree, which given the history, makes Orphan Maker a very likely candidate. It's changed dynasties one time before too, so that probably helps.

12 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Yeah I agree, which given the history, makes Orphan Maker a very likely candidate. It's changed dynasties one time before too, so that probably helps.

I just wanna make sure I'm getting this right. You think that Aegon will wield what amounts to a stolen sword? 

I'm more inclined to think that if Orphan-Maker pops up again that it will be with Titus Peake whenever he enters the story.

Blackfyre is longer than Orphan-Maker. Significally and visually longer. Orphan-Maker is a longsword, and Blackfyre is a bastard sword.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Longsword

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Bastard_sword#Size

The real Blackfyre should have a longer grip and also longer blade than O-M.

I don't think that the sword was not in possession of Golden Company during the Fifth Rebellion of Blackfyres. It's just that Maelys was so huge, that in his hands that sword would have been like a toothpike. So instead he was using a different weapon. He was using this

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/a/a2/Ninepenny.png

I forgot what's the name of this weapon, something with a star in it.

Edit: Morning star.

14 minutes ago, Egged said:

He's not officially supposed to be a Blackfyre, so I don't see the point.

Well I assume it's because the Blackfyre sword was the original sword of House Targaryen before it became the symbol of the offshoot branch House Blackfyre.  It would kind of symbolise that Aegon is like Aegon the Conqueror come again to conquer Westeros armed with Aegon the C's original sword.  But I don't really see the point in having to counterfeit the sword if they don't have the real thing.  I'm not sure that it would actually sway more people on his side.

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I am willing to wager that Blackfyre is not in his or Illyrio/Varys's possession at all. 

How much we talkin? Lol

46 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I don't get the point either.  Is he somehow more legitimate only if he has the sword Blackfyre?  Is it kind of like the Mandalorian Darksaber?  

Lol fuckin Mando, but yes, exactly. 

Ser John lost his kingdom because he didn't have Blackfyre, or because he cant win a match without his opponent throwing it, either one. 

6 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

It would kind of symbolise that Aegon is like Aegon the Conqueror come again to conquer Westeros armed with Aegon the C's original sword. 

Who? Only king I know is Daemon 

I've been too lax, I will allow, but I have never been a traitor. Frey and I harbored doubts about Lord Peake's pretender since the beginning. He does not bear the sword! If he were his father's son, Bittersteel would have armed him with Blackfyre.

23 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Well I assume it's because the Blackfyre sword was the original sword of House Targaryen before it became the symbol of the offshoot branch House Blackfyre.  It would kind of symbolise that Aegon is like Aegon the Conqueror come again to conquer Westeros armed with Aegon the C's original sword.  But I don't really see the point in having to counterfeit the sword if they don't have the real thing.  I'm not sure that it would actually sway more people on his side.

The biggest thing that was mentioned in the Tyrion and Jon Conn chapters was the armor. I'm pretty sure the armor is where it's at. There is zero set up for some special sword, but there is a set up for the armor.

15 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

How much we talkin? Lol

Bragging rights are better than coin. Just sayin'.

The biggest thing that was mentioned in the Tyrion and Jon Conn chapters was the armor. I'm pretty sure the armor is where it's at.

What armor? This metaphorical armor? 

"But remember, so far as the company is concerned, he must remain Young Griff until we cross the narrow sea. In Westeros we'll wash his hair and let him don his armor."

Funny situation though, Young Griff telling Blackfyre decedents hes not Tyroshi lol, no way!

There is zero set up for some special sword

I mean, it exists for a reason. Like Needle, its not gonna stay buried.

Bragging rights are better than coin. Just sayin'.

True. But paper money is better then both :P

23 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

"But remember, so far as the company is concerned, he must remain Young Griff until we cross the narrow sea. In Westeros we'll wash his hair and let him don his armor."

This metaphorical armor is mentioned in Tyrion's chapter when he meets Duck and Haldon. It seems to have its own chest. It's mentioned again when Jon Connington sends Haldon back to the Shy Maid and reminds him to that they will need Illyrio's chests. All the coin and the armor.

And it's mentioned in the quote you pulled out. That's the important piece.

26 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. 

44 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

This metaphorical armor is mentioned in Tyrion's chapter when he meets Duck and Haldon. It seems to have its own chest. It's mentioned again when Jon Connington sends Haldon back to the Shy Maid and reminds him to that they will need Illyrio's chests. All the coin and the armor.

And it's mentioned in the quote you pulled out. That's the important piece.

So whats special about this armor? Rhaegar ruby armor? Thatd be pretty dope actually

47 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. 

What part?

28 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

So whats special about this armor? Rhaegar ruby armor? Thatd be pretty dope actually

Boom! A replica of Rhaegar's armor since the original one was smashed by Robert. He washes the blue from his hair, dons an armor of gleaming black plate with the three-headed dragon of House Targaryen picked with rubies on the breast. Who do you think Aegon will remind the men old enough to remember Rhaegar?

I did write something about the sword and the armor here since we're now way off topic.

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't believe Valyrian Steel can be faked.  Jamie can have a (ceremonial) gold sword and there are plenty of shining or rusty steel swords which is just normal metallic color.   This smoky grey to black is not a natural color that could be mimicked.  OM is a good guess as it is described as black, but there are distinct differences between a long sword and bastard sword.   A good half foot at least.  I would imagine Blackfyre's appearance is well known and people would not be fooled by a substitute.  Blackfyre makes more than one statement or implication about its bearer.  

5 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I don't get the point either.  Is he somehow more legitimate only if he has the sword Blackfyre?  Is it kind of like the Mandalorian Darksaber?  

I don't know the reference about the Darksabre, apologies.  The point is that Blackfyre is the sword of Targaryan Kings and should communicate Aegon's legitimacy to the masses.  It would be quite the proverbial cherry on top for this dark horse virtually no one in Westeros knows is a player.  I like how the table is set for Aegon whomever he is to be manipulated in so many ways right under the noses of so many people.   It is a well thought out publicity stunt at the very least, a daring coup at it's worst.  An accessory such as a legendary magic sword will give all Westeros something to ponder while rumors of Daenaerys and her dragons spread like wildfyre.  I hope Aegon & Co. have Aegon The Conqueror's crown while they're at it.  

Archived