Golf: The Majors and Minors 2021

Mr. Chatywin et al.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

He was born in 75? 

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I thought it sounded unbelievable, mustve misread an earlier article.

I just sort of thought you were referring to how he moved on the course...  Because seeing that limp as they suspended play for round three was heartbreaking to someone who only watched golf as a twenty something when Tiger was wearing his championship red.

Told my brother in law yesterday, I bet Tiger's regretting that he didn't advocate harder for his old Stanford teammate Casey Martin when he was suing to be allowed to use a cart.

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The point is the Saudis now own golf. Tax exempt. 

I wonder what they'll buy next. They could probably buy up all of tennis. I'd say a soccer league too. They could buy the NFL without it hurting their fund.

Is it really as clear cut as the Saudi's buying golf? From what I can find of the terms:

As part of the announcement, it was noted that the Public Investment Fund will initially be the exclusive investor in the new venture, and the PGA Tour will appoint the majority of the board of directors, with Monahan as CEO and the PIF's Al-Rumayyan as chairman.

35 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Is it really as clear cut as the Saudi's buying golf? From what I can find of the terms:

When you're paying, you get to pick the board and/or veto picks you don't like. The rest is just theater. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

This was always how it was going to end, wasn’t it?

Anyone who thought otherwise should look into world series cricket. Except instead of broadcasting rights Norman just wanted the bag of money and to piss off the PGA.

So aggravating. What a hypocritical pack of degenerates. The blood money was only tainted when it was the players taking it, eh? And what about the players who stayed with the Tour? Ugh ugh ugh. Definitely not supporting the PGA Tour anymore. At least we still have the Majors...

I had no beef with the guys that went to LIV.  One of two things were likely true.  Either the PGA was exploiting the players or LIV was over paying.  In either case going to LIV to get the money is the right move for the player.

Though I suspect the result of the merger will be that players are just getting slightly less exploited than the status quo ante LIV.

Edited by mcbigski

23 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Do the mercenaries who left get to keep their huge contracts and still compete for all the other prizes? How is that not going to drive resentment in the loyalists? 

That seems to be the case, though details may be forthcoming.

6 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I had no beef with the guys that went to LIV.  One of two things were likely true.  Either the PGA was exploiting the players or LIV was over paying.  In either case going to LIV to get the money is the right move for the player.

Though I suspect the result of the merger will be that players are just getting slightly less exploited than the status quo ante LIV.

The PGA wasn't really exploiting the players, they just were being old, ya know, like people who run golf always are. The players were losing some revenue streams and the PGA was benefitting from that. However, it's nothing like what the Saudis dumped on players to join a league that didn't get good ratings and really wasn't a good product. They went into the red hard for this because they could set a few billion dollars on firm and never feel the pain. That's the point and they still won in the end.

12 minutes ago, Starkess said:

That seems to be the case, though details may be forthcoming.

Who's hurting more over this, Tiger or Rory? Tiger lost a lot more money, but Rory died on his cross for nothing and then had to say he's kind of okay with this new venture, he just hates LIV, but the SIF is okay. 

It's all a sick joke, and will becoming to every major sport near you soon. They could buy the Yankees and Cowboys each for $25B without it hurting and how would the owners say no to that?