NFL 2021 - The Houston Texans v Deshaun Watson

briantw

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

@DMC, lol, holy shit dude. First, that's kind of creepy, and second, where is the contradiction?

I'm not sure how pointing out you repeatedly said he doesn't have any value and that nobody in their right mind would trade for him is creepy.  If your argument was that he was worth a ~ a 3rd or a 4th instead of ~ a 2nd or a 3rd, I would have stopped responding awhile ago.  Because, yeah, who cares.  But that wasn't your argument.  Or at least wasn't based on, ya know, what you actually said.  That's not me being obtuse.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Didn't they make a thread for you guys to work through that debate?

This thread is already irreparably soiled.  That one, ironically, is not.

So the media walking back the Mac Jones to the Niners fervor continues.  First it was Ian Rapoport, now Adam Schefter.  Schefter last Tuesday:

"It'll be Mac Jones," ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday on DiPietro, Canty and Rothenberg. "... I believe that in the end they will pick Mac Jones at three, that'll be the pick, and they will keep Jimmy Garoppolo this year."

Schefter over the weekend:

“I think they have an open mind right now,” Schefter said on the latest episode of the 49ers Talk podcast. “I think that they go into this looking at the three quarterbacks that’ll be there. They’re obviously going to watch Justin Fields work out again. I think they have a high opinion of Trey Lance and I think they have a high opinion of Mac Jones. So I think they like all three.  [...]

“Now if you’re asking me today who I would guess, I would guess Mac Jones today. But we’re also three weeks away from the draft. There’s going to be a lot of meetings. There’s going to be a lot of discussions. They’re going to be attending workouts. So, what happens between now and then? I don’t know. We’ll see. We’ll find out what enters their thought process, what gets brought up in discussion, and factors push them, ultimately, to the quarterback that they decide to take.”

Absolutely shocking the media got caught up in its own hype.

Personally, I'd be absolutely shocked if a professional football team didn't already know who they were drafting third overall.  What are they going to see at a Pro Day that would change their opinion of a guy?

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Personally, I'd be absolutely shocked if a professional football team didn't already know who they were drafting third overall.  What are they going to see at a Pro Day that would change their opinion of a guy?

Particularly after already selling the farm to move up to #3.  So much pre-draft stuff is smoke and mirrors for very little purpose.

Just now, Maithanet said:

Particularly after already selling the farm to move up to #3.  So much pre-draft stuff is smoke and mirrors for very little purpose.

The only conceivable situation in which I could see them not knowing is if the Jets take the guy they expect to fall, but even then they absolutely already have these guys ranked and would just take the top QB on their board. 

They're not going to go to Fields' pro day and be like, "Hey, this guy is pretty good!  We should take him instead." 

Yeah I certainly hope no team is making such an important decision based on pro days.  One would assume the only uncertainty is if the Jets don't take Wilson. 

This just demonstrates that the guessing it was Jones was just that, the media bought into their own guessing game, and now they're realizing there's no actual reason to be that confident about their own guess.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

The only conceivable situation in which I could see them not knowing is if the Jets take the guy they expect to fall, but even then they absolutely already have these guys ranked and would just take the top QB on their board.

I guess it's possible (although not likely) that the Niners could really like Fields but not be terribly high on Wilson, and thus want to disguise their preference for Fields on the fear that maybe the Jets are still deciding between the two.  But it is nonetheless hard to believe that the Niners would have traded to #3 if they weren't going to be happy with any of the top 3 quarterbacks. 

Julian Edelman retires after he fails a physical and gets released. End of an era. As tough as anybody, and the author of so many great moments. Obviously there was the great catch in the Falcons Super Bowl. But I'll also remember that in that AFC Championship against KC, Edelman converted two third-and-10s in the only drive of overtime.

Saw an analysis today that I hadn't quite considered.  What are the chances that either of the Falcons or Bengals trade back to a QB needy team?  4QBs going in the top 5 would be fantastic for my Dolphins.  Take Chase or Pitts, or if they're that high on Sewell or Slater get your top rated O line guy.  Waddle and Smith sound like a they're a tier lower, though still great value for 40% or whatever of Laremy Tunsil.

How long is Atlanta married to Matt Ryan for?

Is Cincy feeling like they are just one piece or two away and want to take the best player at 5, or are they open to a deal?

6 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Saw an analysis today that I hadn't quite considered.  What are the chances that either of the Falcons or Bengals trade back to a QB needy team?  4QBs going in the top 5 would be fantastic for my Dolphins.  Take Chase or Pitts, or if they're that high on Sewell or Slater get your top rated O line guy.  Waddle and Smith sound like a they're a tier lower, though still great value for 40% or whatever of Laremy Tunsil.

How long is Atlanta married to Matt Ryan for?

Is Cincy feeling like they are just one piece or two away and want to take the best player at 5, or are they open to a deal?

Inside sources for the Bengals are saying we’re taking Chase at 5. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Inside sources for the Bengals are saying we’re taking Chase at 5. 

Even still, I fully expect the Bengals would be open for a deal if someone came calling.  There isn't a lot of value dropoff between the 5th and 10th picks.  If the Broncos or Patriots or WFT want to take a quarterback, I'm sure the Bengals would be happy to let them and take next year's first rounder off their hands. 

Just now, DireWolfSpirit said:

This ain't yer daddy's Browns, some serious talent on that roster now.

They are bringing back every single offensive starter, which is pretty crazy considering that was their strength in 2020.  

13 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Plus Beckham will be healed right? Or has he moved on ?

Eta: nvm, see he's still in the mix

He'll likely be healed, but will he and Baker have the time before the start of the season to fix their chemistry issues? Hard to say at this point.

Archived