Silliest Movie Premises that actually got made.

This one never got made, but still:

Hungry Hungry Hippos Movie Actually Happening

The Lake Placid talk reminded me of Shark Night. You know a movie is bad when no one has bothered to fill in the wikipedia summary ten years later. But basically hillbillys somehow acquired sharks and strapped cameras to their heads and put them in a lake so they could watch teens get eaten. 

6 hours ago, briantw said:

Lake Placid is particularly egregious because the crocodile is in an isolated lake that no one goes to until they find out there's a giant crocodile there, at which point they can't get to the lake fast enough.

That's probably the most realistic thing about Lake Placid.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

#MySharkRoarsLikeALion! 

and in some versions of the movie explodes for no apparent reason. Right after Ellen Brody flashes back to her husband killing the first shark even though she wasn't there. 

Though these aren't really problems with the premise of "Shark seeks revenge on a family." 

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

and in some versions of the movie explodes for no apparent reason. Right after Ellen Brody flashes back to her husband killing the first shark even though she wasn't there. 

Though these aren't really problems with the premise of "Shark seeks revenge on a family." 

I've only seen the version where it explodes, but we really need to talk about the bloded part. She doesn't just have flash backs of events she wasn't present at, she also has a telepathic connection with a shark that wasn't there either. It's really one of the most absurd movies I've ever seen.

My favorite trivia tidbit from the movie is that when Caine was asked about it he said, "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

49 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

@Tywin et al. Legend has it the thing that sold Caine on doing that movie was the part of the script that said, "Fade in, the Bahamas".

That and he was probably only on set for a week or two tops. I believe I read that Nic Cage pocketed around $3-$5m for a few days of shooting Jiu Jitsu.

Speaking of which, that film absolutely belongs here and I want the Nic Cage wing opened immediately! 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of which, that film absolutely belongs here and I want the Nic Cage wing opened immediately! 

Con Air is both an amazing film and absolutely belongs in this topic. 

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fuck you. Compared to Face/Off Con Air is a god damn masterpiece!

Hard disagree.  Face/Off is a much better film, and not obscenely racist like Con Air.

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

Hard disagree.  Face/Off is a much better film, and not obscenely racist like Con Air.

We are not in the traditional movie thread, Brian, we are in the silliest movie premise thread, and how dare you say the movie where two guys get facial transplant surgeries is better than a movie about a hijacked plane, which I'm sorry had some racism in it, but that's pretty low on the list of awful things the convicts do on that plane. Did you expect them to have hearts of gold after the rape and murder aspects of their lives?

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The Rock > Face Off > Con Air 

This is the way.

I think The Rock is a respectably decent action movie.  Face Off and Con Air are just batshit crazy actors getting free reign to do whatever the fuck they want. 

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Remember when "the rock" was just the name of a stupid fun movie and not of a stupid fun person?

Dwayne Johnson started The Rock gimmick only about a year after The Rock film came out, so there's not much difference there.

And I'd put Con Air over Face/Off.  Con Air's cast is off the charts.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

And I'd put Con Air over Face/Off.  Con Air's cast is off the charts.

I'm not sure Con Air could have worked at all if not for the amazing cast.

Face/Off has to be the soul of this thread though because Cage and Travolta after peaking in the early 90's have accounted for no less than a third of the movies that belong being mentioned in this thread. It's science. 

Well if we're gonna talk Travolta and "science," then I suppose Battlefield Earth should be mentioned.  But I'm not sure if that belongs in silliest cultish premises ever.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure Con Air could have worked at all if not for the amazing cast.

Face/Off has to be the soul of this thread though because Cage and Travolta after peaking in the early 90's have accounted for no less than a third of the movies that belong being mentioned in this thread. It's science. 

I've got to say as far as I remember these movies, you've got this wrong. Face off is better than Con-air for a lot of reasons. but first and foremost it takes itself totally dead-child seriously. It get's away with something; a level of suspension of disbelief that only horror movies enjoy. and just like horror movies we rightly pick it apart after.

maybe to re-assure ourselves that nic cage won't take our own faces off when we lease suspect it. 

Con-Air was was also a movie that I saw once. 

Archived