NBA Playoffs - Play In? PLAY-IN It Cool

Relic

Wanted to watch some NBA playoffs, even though I don't find either the Wizards or Pacers to be compelling entertainment. Alas, not only is the game a bit of a snooze, but Marv Albert and Mike Fratello sound so bad that it's an untenable experience. They are both just too old. Albert is wheezing and, as usual, uses the wrong name for a player every couple minutes. I'm going through the same shit with my lifelong Cardinals radio announcer Mike Shannon, whom I've met several times and respect the hell out of. It's the final season for both men, so they will enjoy their respective sports without a mic for the first time in 110 collective years soon.

34 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

Was it this thread or forum in general?

Nah, U.S. Politics thread. Honestly one of the best aspects of this forum is that the sports threads are pretty calm and very informative, unlike most place on the interwebs.

Long story short is he suggested a possible deal to find a solution on the crisis at the Southern border, and safe to say it was not received well by very liberal posters who largely make up the thread (and to be fair, from what I recall it was a pretty bad idea). He got flamed by several people and was called all sorts of names. I didn't see most of it, but it must have gotten really bad if he decided to have his account deleted. Sad because he was a fun guy to talk to.

24 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Wanted to watch some NBA playoffs, even though I don't find either the Wizards or Pacers to be compelling entertainment. Alas, not only is the game a bit of a snooze, but Marv Albert and Mike Fratello sound so bad that it's an untenable experience. They are both just too old. Albert is wheezing and, as usual, uses the wrong name for a player every couple minutes. I'm going through the same shit with my lifelong Cardinals radio announcer Mike Shannon, whom I've met several times and respect the hell out of. It's the final season for both men, so they will enjoy their respective sports without a mic for the first time in 110 collective years soon.

Do what I do these days, watch the game on mute and read a book. When you find a good place to pause, look up and if the game is interesting, take a break for a bit and turn the volume on. Works better for football than basketball, but tennis is really the only sport that's hard to multitask like this. With baseball you can just leave the volume on really low because nothing happens and the crack of a bat will let you know when to look up.

Yeah I hear you on muting the games. I have a dual monitor setup and my laptop is generally right here too, so on any given night I always have some game on somewhere. I of course prefer to have some game noise on - specifically baseball, since as you said it's such great background noise, especially if the feed has good stadium noise, not just the broadcaster's voices. Cardinals broadcasts are up and down right now, because Jim Edmonds has a LOT of things to say, so it's rare to have those nice pauses in commentary. Of course, that doesn't happen in basketball or football, but if the announcer is good, I can generally multitask with online classwork (or games), and perk up when it sounds like something exciting is happening.

Playoff games, though, I really like to engage with, so having Albert consistently misidentify players while sounding truly aged is a real bummer. Luckily the game was a dull blowout, so I didn't keep it on long. Tomorrow and on, though, boy there are some exciting games coming. I personally can't wait for the Portland/Denver series, which are easily my two favorite teams that actually get to be in playoff series, unlike my lame-ass Bulls. 

Jokic v Dame? Fuck yeah.

I don't want to see Jazz-Grizz, no shade to the latter, but if the Warriors win tomorrow all four WC playoff series are fire, which never happens. Shit, the EC games are all fun too. Knicks-Hawks may be the least interesting, but that will still get a ton of attention.

This should be really fucking fun. B)

ETA:

(Nets in six over the Clippers (assuming they're healthy)).

Yikes, no one on the Warriors can hit a shot besides Curry. Meanwhile, Ja is showing serious growth. If only he could regularly shoot like this...

ETA: Some how this went to overtime, but the result remains as said. Curry had no help and Ja was awesome in the clutch. Terrible decision to not play the foul game at the end.

13 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Surely a typo?

The Heat destroyed the Bucks last year. They got a little better while the Heat are about the same. I trust the Heat more, and they pushed the Bucks to OT today and nearly double OT. That's with Bam and Jimmy scoring only 26 points combined.  

I've only caught a bit of the second half, but I'm convinced that Austin Rivers is a complete liability. He's not a good three point shooter, the balls stops with him, doesn't defend well and he also makes dumb fouls. The only thing he has going for him is his height so he's not all that tall either. Denver really needs Barton back to take his minutes.

8 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I've only caught a bit of the second half, but I'm convinced that Austin Rivers is a complete liability. He's not a good three point shooter, the balls stops with him, doesn't defend well and he also makes dumb fouls. The only thing he has going for him is his height so he's not all that tall either. Denver really needs Barton back to take his minutes.

Yeah, it was rough.  Portland's game plan is pretty much what I expected -Let Joker eat, double MPJ, and make someone else beat them.

And Rivers will not be that person regularly.

There just isn't enough firepower here.  I expect Denver to hit more threes (Porter went 1 for 10 and still scored 25) but I am not sure how they win four games with their guards getting outscored by 40 every game.  

Archived