NBA - What the hell is going on?

Red Tiger

I don't think you need a study or even really analyzing the data to know that more key players are injured or getting injured this playoffs than any season since..well, since I can remember at least.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think you need a study or even really analyzing the data to know that more key players are injured or getting injured this playoffs than any season since..well, since I can remember at least.

"key players" maybe, but the amount of injuries is still pretty much the same as its always been. Recency bias is def playing a role in how we're looking at this.  You also need to have a look at the kind of injuries guys are suffering. You can't really blame sprained ankles on a shorter offseason. 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

Recency bias is def playing a role in how we're looking at this.  

Well, of course.  I'm talking about key players and in the playoffs, which is happening now.  It's not particularly surprising that these rates would regress to the mean in the aggregate - both in terms of all players and the entire season.

The previous high of All-Stars missing a playoff game was six. Eight have missed one during these playoffs, and if the Clippers win tonight it will probably go up to nine due to CP3 being in the protocol. 

Again, we can't say injuries are about the same as normal when eight teams got a nine month break while the Lakers and Heat got less than two and a half months. 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The previous high of All-Stars missing a playoff game was six. Eight have missed one during these playoffs, and if the Clippers win tonight it will probably go up to nine due to CP3 being in the protocol. 

Again, we can't say injuries are about the same as normal when eight teams got a nine month break while the Lakers and Heat got less than two and a half months. 

CP3 going on protocol shouldn't count. Its not an injury. Kyrie's ankle sprain shouldn't count either. Ankle sprains are fucking random as hell, and attributing it to Kyrie being fatigued is very selective thinking. He's had plenty of rest this season. While some bodies certainly have worn down I dismiss this All- Star stat as meaningless. 

35 minutes ago, Relic said:

CP3 going on protocol shouldn't count. Its not an injury. Kyrie's ankle sprain shouldn't count either. Ankle sprains are fucking random as hell, and attributing it to Kyrie being fatigued is very selective thinking. He's had plenty of rest this season. While some bodies certainly have worn down I dismiss this All- Star stat as meaningless. 

Okay, well Murray wasn't an All-Star because he tore his ACL. We can play this game if you want. This season was riddled with injuries, it was easy to predict that it would happen as I've said all season and now we're getting a distorted result. They should have given the players a longer offseason and a shorter regular season that wasn't so condensed. This year further reinforces my belief that we need two expansion teams (Seattle and Vegas, I would assume) and have a 62 game season soccer style where you play everyone once home and away.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This season was riddled with injuries, it was easy to predict that it would happen as I've said all season

Lol, yeah, you and Lebron are fucking fortune tellers. Whatever dude, the stats don't back up what you are saying, the league office doesn't agree, and most players havent said shit about it either. But you always know best, so here you go - YOU'RE RIGHT. 

Lol, yeah, you and Lebron are fucking fortune tellers. Whatever dude, the stats don't back up what you are saying, the league office doesn't agree, and most players havent said shit about it either. But you always know best, so here you go - YOU'RE RIGHT. 

The stats you've cited include eight teams with a nine month break and four teams with less than a three month break. That renders it meaningless. 

And of course the league office disagrees. Are they supposed to admit that they exposed players to less than ideal conditions to make sure they maximized their profits after a pandemic in which basically every team lost a shit ton of money? Every decision made was about money, not player health, and we're seeing the result of that. 

14 minutes ago, Relic said:

the league office doesn't agree

I don't really have a dog in this fight but this isn't a legitimate argument.  Of course the league is gonna publicly defend its own decisions.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't really have a dog in this fight but this isn't a legitimate argument.  Of course the league is gonna publicly defend its own decisions.

The NBA isn't really known for obfuscation, at least not since Silver took over. It's the most player friendly pro sports league in the USA. Of course they are looking out for their own best interests, but flatly denying things that might be true is not how they have operated. 

Of course they are looking out for their own best interests, but flatly denying things that might be true is not how they have operated. 

Well, this one's pretty easy to "flatly deny," or at least argue against.  It's not like anyone can conclusively determine the schedule as a causal factor to the injuries one way or another.

Celtics trade Kemba Walker and their first round pick this year (#16) for Al Horford and Moses Brown.  That is a rough trade.  Obviously Walker's value his disappeared given his recent injury issues.  But It always hurts to be trading away the best player in the deal AND a first round pick.  If I'm the Celtics now I have more cap room, and you got Horford back who is a good fit on the team...but still.  Hard to see how this gets them closer to a championship.  The Celtics look like their ceiling is being like the 4th best team in the East, and that's if things go right. 

Confounding. Walker and the first round pick aside, Horford is old and declining. I don't know who Moses Brown is, but a quick search tells me he's another centre, when they already have Thompson and Williams and is coming with Horford. Williams should be the future and probably present of the team, so its hard to see what this trade does for them.

I always assume a few key players will go down to injuries during the playoffs. That's why I find it laughable when people try to pick who is going to prevail. No-one can crystal ball who will be left standing when it's never a certainty what lineup will be healthy enough to make it through the NBA grindhouse season/playoffs.

It's also laughable to make the "what ifs" over if so and so wasn't injured and how that team "woulda coulda"  won it all.

Injuries every year are the only sure bet I count on.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I always assume a few key players will go down to injuries during the playoffs. That's why I find it laughable when people try to pick who is going to prevail. No-one can crystal ball who will be left standing when it's never a certainty what lineup will be healthy enough to make it through the NBA grindhouse season/playoffs.

It's also laughable to make the "what ifs" over if so and so wasn't injured and how that team "woulda coulda"  won it all.

Injuries every year are the only sure bet I count on.

And yet, if you give me the chance to pick two teams at the beginning of each year that are most likely to win the championship, you'll pick right more than half the time.  In the NBA talent wins.  If your talent isn't healthy then your team isn't talented anymore, but that really only applies to the top 2-3 guys on the top teams, and usually most of those guys are healthy.  Not this year. 

23 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Confounding. Walker and the first round pick aside, Horford is old and declining. I don't know who Moses Brown is, but a quick search tells me he's another centre, when they already have Thompson and Williams and is coming with Horford. Williams should be the future and probably present of the team, so its hard to see what this trade does for them.

Walker's contract is so bad that the Celtics had to give up a mid first rounder just to unload it.  That's the whole story.  Horford and Moses will be secondary pieces at best in Boston (and at least one of them probably gets traded soon anyway). 

I read an article recently that the Mavs were looking at trading for the worst contracts in the league to try and get rid of Porzingus.  Walker's contract was one of the ones mentioned, as he had one fewer year than Porzingus left, which would definitely be appealing for Dallas. 

Embiid was lucky not to get ejected for that shit.  You compare that to what Jokic got thrown out for, and it's no comparison.  He's clearly creating a confrontation and escalating the situation.  And it's not like Collins was taking some cheap shot, he had every right to be pissed with the initial contact.

Archived