Why didn't Ned ask for a trial by combat?

TheLastWolf

I don’t think there’s a fighter in all the north or riverlands I’d bet on to beat the mountain, who would certainly be the champion. At worst it’s Jaime, or the hound, and I’m not betting against them either. This wasn’t a valid route, and there wasn’t anyone in Kings landing who could stand for him if it had to be immediate either.

21 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I don’t think there’s a fighter in all the north or riverlands I’d bet on to beat the mountain, who would certainly be the champion. At worst it’s Jaime, or the hound, and I’m not betting against them either. This wasn’t a valid route, and there wasn’t anyone in Kings landing who could stand for him if it had to be immediate either.

For a medieval lord, especially a major one like a Stark, even especially if it's Ned, that meant a honorable death and if a combo of luck and skill held out, survival. 

6 hours ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

Well, I know the plot required his death, but logic doesn't have to be sacrificed... 

Inspiration

Ned thought he was going to the Wall if he said he was guilty. If he knew he was getting his head chopped off, he may have asked for a trial by combat.

26 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Ned thought he was going to the Wall if he said he was guilty. If he knew he was getting his head chopped off, he may have asked for a trial by combat.

At that moment when Slynt and Tongueless seized him, he wasn't the dumb one, both in the brains and tongue departments. In a public gathering he couldn't have been refused if he demanded the trial. What the book described was a resigned to fate kinda Ned 

1 hour ago, Leonardo said:

They'd have to summon The Mountain or Jaime from the field.

On the other hand, how well could Ned have fought, with his injured leg and all?

1 hour ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

At that moment when Slynt and Tongueless seized him, he wasn't the dumb one, both in the brains and tongue departments. In a public gathering he couldn't have been refused if he demanded the trial. What the book described was a resigned to fate kinda Ned 

At that point Ned already said he was guilty tho. I don't think you can ask for a trial by combat after you already say your guilty of the crime. 

8 hours ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

Well, I know the plot required his death, but logic doesn't have to be sacrificed... 

Inspiration

Cersei has Sansa. Ned could get a TBC and even win, but she'll still have Sansa.

And there was no time to ask for one anyway. He was all set to confess and be spared, but Joff surprised everyone.

Ned had a broken leg and all members of his garrison were slain, so he could not fight properly nor he had hope to get a champion to fight on his behalf.

The deal Varys offered to him was his best choice and it was not a bad deal at all for someone accused of treason. The queen regent and the council had approved the deal, what went wrong was Joffrey being a psycho. 

7 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

He might say 'By the Old Gods and the New' from time to time, but I can't see Ned actually appealing to the Seven for help, which is really what a trial by combat is. Have we any instances of a northerner or follower of the old gods demanding a trial by combat?

Ned's dad

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

And there was no time to ask for one anyway

It wouldn't take long to shout the words. Brienne had lesser time with LSH 

1 hour ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

At that point Ned already said he was guilty tho. I don't think you can ask for a trial by combat after you already say your guilty of the crime. 

54 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Since Eddard had already confessed, this ship had sailed.

Interesting, but execution wasn't part of the deal. The Black was. Maybe then. 

37 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

He might say 'By the Old Gods and the New' from time to time, but I can't see Ned actually appealing to the Seven for help, which is really what a trial by combat is. Have we any instances of a northerner or follower of the old gods demanding a trial by combat?

12 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Yeah, that's right isn't it? No wonder the Old Gods let the blasphemer die then (not serious!)

You better not be lol

7 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

The facts of the matter for Ned were not in question.  There were witnesses in the throne room and it looked like treason. His admission settled the question of guilt. 

The sentence was to take the black, but Joff's madness (could he be a Targ lol) and the execution by beheading gave Ned room and time (very little, but more than brienne) to challenge/demand a TBC...but he was dreamy and unmindful of the chaos that his death might start plus his deep rooted honour would've wanted a death by battle atleast, jaime and mountain might or might not have been recalled and theres so many possibilitites

Archived