NBA 2021 - 2022 BENched Simmons

Relic

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Never said I agree with it. I have no idea why basketball players don't all sack off college and play in Europe for a year instead. 

Better to just move this here. I'm not sure going to Europe is the best way to prep top American youths. The game is different and I'm not sure it prepares them all that well for the NBA. Then there's also the complications of relocating to a foreign country. Given the new name, image and likeness rules, I'm not sure why they'd do it unless it just sounds like a fun experience to them. 

With 2 of the top 7 picks coming from the G League Ignite team, I wonder if that will start a trend as a viable alternative to NCAA.  I agree that going to Europe for a year is unlikely to ever catch on, albeit not because the game is too different but rather simply if it was it already would have.  

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What's the salary like in G league? 

Well, for the players actually on the affiliate teams (i.e. as a minor leaguer), it's only $7000 per month or $35000 a year.  However, both Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga reportedly made about $500k last year.  Even Isaiah Todd, who a lesser recruit and 31st pick in the draft on Thursday, reportedly got a six figure deal.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well, for the players actually on the affiliate teams (i.e. as a minor leaguer), it's only $7000 per month or $35000 a year.  However, both Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga reportedly made about $500k last year.  Even Isaiah Todd, who a lesser recruit and 31st pick in the draft on Thursday, reportedly got a six figure deal.

I don't know about insurance over there but if you are in G league on 500k and get a career ending injury, you are far better off than if playing for free in college and get the same injury? 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know about insurance over there but if you are in G league on 500k and get a career ending injury, you are far better off than if playing for free in college and get the same injury? 

Good question.  I have no idea about insurance either.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

It depends. You can get insurance protection for a catastrophic injury either way, I just don't know how they calculate it for college athletes who aren't obvious top picks. @Whiskeyjack is the best person on the forum to discuss this.

That said, focusing too much on the salary misses a lot of their income. A number of players can earn more from endorsements than their club salaries, and now college players are going to make real money. I saw one estimate that Zion and Trevor Lawrence, the two biggest recent college stars, could have each easily made $5m their final years in school.  Another example, though from a different sport is Osaka. She's a $50m a year athlete in endorsements, and I'd be shocked if see makes 25% of that from her performances on the court.

I believe he was always going to decline as it has more to do with the way contracts are structured. Playing certain number of seasons in the league makes you eligible for more money, which means that superstars would always want to renegotiate a new contract at those points as they aren't worried about job security.

Yes, Kawhi is still widely expected to resign in LA, although it's not impossible he changes his mind. 

Chris Paul is a bit more of a wild card.  He wants a championship and he wants max or near-max money for what is very likely his final contract.  If there are any teams better than Phoenix out there that can afford his services, Paul won't hesitate to leave the Suns.  But the list of teams better than Phoenix is relatively short, and with both Booker and Ayton still improving, there is hope that running it back would get better result.  The problem is the West is almost assuredly going to be harder to win than it was this year with the Lakers and Warriors getting healthy.

Chris Paul, 4 years for $120 million to stay with the Suns.. jeez. Thats more than what I would have paid for I think but I'm not sure what else the Suns were supposed to do. I might have tried to go for Lowry but that seems like poor taste to let Paul go after this season and pursue someone else (even if this is just business).

7 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Chris Paul, 4 years for $120 million to stay with the Suns.. jeez. Thats more than what I would have paid for I think but I'm not sure what else the Suns were supposed to do. I might have tried to go for Lowry but that seems like poor taste to let Paul go after this season and pursue someone else (even if this is just business).

Paul is still a lot better than Lowry and the AAV is the same. The extra year is probably a thanks for not asking for way more.

28 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Chris Paul, 4 years for $120 million to stay with the Suns.. jeez.

As far as I've seen everyone's careful to add the caveat "worth up to" 4 years 120 million dollars.  Would like to see the specifics.

ETA:

I guess the Suns somewhat had their hands forced. Almost no chance he's putting up 50 million of production in four years, but it'll be worth the gamble if they manage to sneak to the finals again. Perhaps it'll happen.

Ball to the Bulls - I absolutely loathed the Ball Brothers and Lavar's gross antics. I've relatively come around on his newfound jump shot, and he does make sense alongside LaVine. Bulls aren't world beaters with this group, but it's a huge improvement from the past couple years' shitpiles. I'm sad to lose Theis, but Caruso's defense is just what we need assuming he'll get lots of time with Coby White.

So its $30m per year for Paul and Lowry, and $23m for Conley. I guess those are all reasonable contracts, length aside? I'm sure the teams would have preferred to sign them for less, but if that's the market rate, alternatives won't be cheap even if they are any available. And taking someone else with a lower ceiling for a lower injury or falloff risk is probably less attractive when you're going championship or bust. 

Also, the Lakers aren't looking great. They have only Westbrook, LeBron, AD and Gasol under contract, are going for Howard, Ariza, Bazemore and Ellington, and the players currently on their roster that they can look to resign are also mostly aged veterans except for Horton-Tucker and even then, they might also bail for teams that can offer more like Caruso did. 

Edit - Trae Young is getting $41m per year and SGA $34m.

Edit 2 - I suppose Luka would also be in the $40m range?

Archived