Favorite Quotes

chrisjordan0282

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

The video was filmed in a bar four blocks from my house. Someone bought the place and renovated it as a small concert venue and the neighbours fought tooth and nail to prevent it from opening. It’s supposed to become a spa instead, though it hasn't opened yet, years later. I’m in a bar having some chicken wings and a beer for dinner, a block and a half away, I’ll take a look when I drive past.

Facinating!  thanks for sharing that story.  :)

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just looked on Google maps, and if you type in The Matador Ballroom Toronto, you can see the renovated building, the covered windows and the old sign.

I looked on wikipedia and it also mentioned an old video by kd lang made there.  "Turn Me Around".   Shows some outside shots of the bar.  Pretty wild!

• 5 months later...

Just an intriguing quote that's stuck in my head at the moment, from the book that I'm currently reading:

"Here's a thing I believe about people my age:  we are the children of Hogwarts, and more than anything, we just want to be sorted."  -- Sourdough, by Robin Sloan

I'm partial to Einstein's paraphrase of Schopenhauer:

"A man can do what he wants but he can't will what he wants."

I think it's a fairly sure thing that there is no free will and this quote is a catchy observation of that. The delusion that our lives and our decision have value of any sort beyond our own narcissism (which we again have no control over) is entertaining to me.

All political discourse, clashes  of ideology and morality is an arbitrary equivalent to a chemical reaction, but with an flavorful dose of hubris added to the mix.

The quote captures that, I think. Einstein would of course disagree.

1 hour ago, IFR said:

I'm partial to Einstein's paraphrase of Schopenhauer:

"A man can do what he wants but he can't will what he wants."

I think it's a fairly sure thing that there is no free will and this quote is a catchy observation of that. The delusion that our lives and our decision have value of any sort beyond our own narcissism (which we again have no control over) is entertaining to me.

All political discourse, clashes  of ideology and morality is an arbitrary equivalent to a chemical reaction, but with an flavorful dose of hubris added to the mix.

The quote captures that, I think. Einstein would of course disagree.

Of course you'd say that.

Edited by Larry of the Lawn
Had to do it

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain.” – Ursula K Le Guin