Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

Not the result I was hoping for. I think Shapo was totally in the right complaining to the umpire about how he continued to favor Nadal instead of penalizing him like he should have.

What irks me personally is the umpire's reply to Shapo saying " and now youre the one who's not ready to play" 

Yeah dude, cause he had to wait minutes for Nadal to get ready, you once again failed to do your job and act on that, then he comes to the net to complain and then you say " youre not ready yourself" ?

Calling him "corrupt" was a bit too far on Shapo's part though.

Monfils fought bravely but failed, so it's Berrettini again for Nadal.

I wonder if we will have two Italians in the semis, wouldn't be surprised if Sinner defeated Tsitsipas.

In women's tournament nobody is going to stop Barty, so it's a bit like contending for the second place. Hope it's Iga who gets there.

Nadal does often take the piss with the shot clock and generally waste tons of time but losing your shit and going off on the umpire isn't on. Not to mention it's pretty counterproductive.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Calling him "corrupt" was a bit too far on Shapo's part though.

He conceded that in the press conference. And yet personally I can really understand why he said it.

Because if you're him ( or me just watching it as a fan of the game) you have to wonder why the umpire lets Nadal get away with it. And multiple times. When its a big known thing with Nadal that this is what he does, as well known as Tsitsipas' lengthy and frequent toilet breaks. You see what he does. You know its not right. And yet you give him a pass because....reasons. That must sting, as Shapo explained in the press conference.

Yeah, there was talk of this in Serbian parts of Twitter a couple of weeks ago.

Honestly, I was surprised it didn't get any further than that.

I know some people Djokovic was in contact with on December 16th, when he supposedly tested positive, and they say he looked like nothing was wrong. Of course, that's not proof of anything since he could've been asymptomatic. He didn't wear a mask, though, nor did he call them to inform them he tested positive.

As a tennis fan, I think the tour would be poorer without him so I dont really want him to get a suspension.

This definitely feels like confirmation that he's been lying throughout. Not a great person. 

In actual tennis news, 2 predictable results today. Berrettini, I gave him very little chance against Nadal even though he's been so good this tournament. He nearly got knocked out by Alcaraz and it would have been way more interesting if that happened. He did a nice job against Monfils but neither of those 2 are equipped to play Nadal.

Tsitsipas surprised me big time by taking out Sinner and he played a very good match today too. Ultimately the better player simply won, Medvedev is too resilient , too hard to beat in a best of 5. And from the start I felt it was only him or Zverev who could beat Nadal at this Aussie Open.

11 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

As a tennis fan, I think the tour would be poorer without him so I dont really want him to get a suspension.

Our desire to be entertained should never supersede fundamental values and principles. 

Considering his age, being two sets down (and triple break point down in the third), and the marathon nature of the match, this has to be one of Nadal's best ever wins.

I was quietly doubting whether he had it in him and was sure Medvedev would pull it off, but Nadal wound back the clock and showed his usual grit and determination. His game was a little bit off in the first set and a half but with Nadal you can never bet on that continuing for a full five sets.

Medvedev showed great resourcefulness and would have taken it out easily against anyone else. He'll have plenty more chances in the future. I think he's showing that he's the leading player of the next generation - not Zverev etc.

Think McEnroe captures what happened when he says Medvedev choked in set 3. He clearly had the game well in hand and was the better player but he let momentum slip away from him. You could see him start to play less free and more hesitant when there wasnt a reason to really. These things happen in tennis all the time and its part of the game. But Nadal, while deserving obvious credit, was also fortunate here because Medvedev basically had the right formula ( again) and then discarded it.

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/australian-open/2022/daniil-medvedev-choked-in-third-set-of-his-australian-open-final-loss-to-rafael-nadal-john-mcenroe_sto8747413/story.shtml

Archived