Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 19

Seams

2 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Dude, that's a little loose, no? As a supporter and promoter of wordplay on this forum, I'm gonna say that I think we have to use stricter criteria than that for word connections. Echouer / Ashara ... I'm trying to say the words and make them sound alike but it's just not working, sorry. 

You are wrong.  George is very loose with these things.  Words that sound alike, look alike, or just happen to be on the same page are perfectly fine ways to name your characters and get plot ideas, and I am finding many authors do the same thing.

We just got to Horcruxes in Harry Potter, so I looked up possible origins

hors means "outside of, out of danger, to save" in French

creux ["cro" creuse] means "cavern" "hollow" "empty" and they keep finding Horcruxes in caves, and in Chambers

And the Horcrux is a portion of Voldemort's soul removed and placed in a safe place, and he removed so much of his soul that he is empty.  Seven Horcruxes and in Welsh the word for seven sounds like the word for Satan, seith and sathan.  [vald + mort means "wielder of death" in Norse, and words that sound like marvolo  means "death" in Welsh and Gaelic, marw, marbh]

Tom Riddle is the heir of Salazar Slytherin, the last blood of Slytherin and

salassare means "blood" and "drain" in Italian, and the Chamber of Secrets is found down a drain and it is opened by speaking Parseltongue which only Slytherins can do. 

parseltongue is a reference to Osculum Infame, kissing the devil's ass, as parsel means "to butt" in Welsh, parsel-mouth, mouth to butt.  Which is how witches greet the devil.  Parsel also means "marked" and Harry is marked by the devil and that is why he can speak Parsel-tongue and open the Chamber.

sala means "chamber" and  scalo means "slipway" and they slide down into the Chamber

scalzare means "undermine" and the Chamber of Secrets is a huge chamber under Hogwarts. 

sceller- means "wickedness, evil"  (sounds like Cellar also)

scolo means "drain" and scolaro means "schoolboy, scholar" and the Chamber is down a drain in a school.

Tom Riddle opens the Chamber of Secrets, in Welsh rhiddiol  means "secret" and "drain" and "semen" and "impregnated" and Riddle is the last Slytherin.

The Chamber of Secrets is down a drain and

tom means "shit" in Welsh, and rhiddoiol means "drain"  and rhwd tomydd means "runoff from a dunghill"  [the Basilisk killed Moaning Myrtle and she now resides in a toilet drain]

tomb is synonymous with "chamber" and riddle means "secret" 

rhidwll  means "full of holes, sieve, a riddle" in Welsh and Harry stabs Tom Riddle's diary full of holes, and they learn all about Tom Riddle through the Pensieve

Edited by Fun Guy from Yuggoth

Harry is closely linked with the Phoenix, he has a mind-meld with Fawkes, he has the Phoenix feather in his wand, he is in the Order of the Phoenix. 

Harry is her version of Aragorn and Aragorn's name comes from the Gaelic earraig  "sea eagle, falcon, halcyon" + gorn "torch"  = flaming eagle or phoenix 

awyr /awyraidd [~Harry] means "aerial" "partaking of the air" and Harry is an excellent flyer. 

hyryw [~Harry] means "a perfect kind, or sort"  [directly above hys "hiss", and Harry can speak Parseltongue which is entirely hissing noises]

gwron [~gorn] means "hero, a worthy man" 

And Voldemort is trying to get the power to live forever, like the Phoenix, and the first book is about the Sorcerer's Stone which allows its possessor to live forever, and phoenicitis  means "a precious stone" in Latin and phoenix  means "red" 

Edited by Fun Guy from Yuggoth

25 minutes ago, Fun Guy from Yuggoth said:

George is very loose with these things.

I think he experiments with language and uses language clues, but even then there have to be boundaries. 

Ashara in the Hausa language of Nigeria means 'miscarriage'. Do we assume George named a character who suffered a stillborn daughter ... after a miscarriage? I mean, we don't even need to change the spelling.

If you search through enough languages you can make anything mean anything. Not that we shouldn't look to other languages, but I feel that each case needs to be analysed in a bit more detail, and you tend to throw out a dozen at a time. It's hard to digest it all.

2 minutes ago, Sandy Clegg said:

I think he experiments with language and uses language clues, but even then there have to be boundaries. 

Ashara in the Hausa language of Nigeria means 'miscarriage'. Do we assume George named a character who suffered a stillborn daughter ... after a miscarriage? I mean, we don't even need to change the spelling.

That is a straw-man argument that people use on here when they don't like my conclusions.  "you can find any word in any language to mean anything you want" 

ASoIaF is an English mythology, so if you limit your search to the languages that are found in the British Isles you can cover almost all the bases.  Welsh, Gaelic, Anglo-Saxon, French, Norse, German, and Hindi, as Gaelic and Welsh retain many of their roots with the PIE language that Western European languages come from.  For Westeros at least, Essos and Asshai have more exotic foreign influences.

Just noticed that with creux ["cro"]/ creuse  meaning "hollow and cavernous" in French, and the World of Ice and Fire  book has a planet-sized crow hovering over the map of Dorne, and Bran means "ominous bird hovering overhead" and "black" and "crow"  so the Black Crow hovering in space is the Black Creux, the Black Goat Yuggoth, which is a hollow planet.

If Creux means "hollow" and Aex meaning "goat" in Latin--more Planet X / cross/ Goat wordplay.  

And Bran is a crow in a cave, and kid means "goat" and he is being hung on a tree--crucified. 

And George's Sandkings  is a retelling of the Fungi from Yuggoth, Kress is a metaphor for Yuggoth hovering over the Sandkings, and the Sandkings are hermaphroditic crustaceans from the Shadow, and Creuse is their evil god.  cruciatus means "to torture". 

The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand young, is a faceless creature that lives in a cave, and the Fungi serve it.  The Maw is the mouth/mother, and she has thousands of Sandkings. 

I just noticed the parallel between Euron's men invading and destroying Oldtown and Lovecraft's The Doom that Came to Sarnath--which is about fish men coming out of the water and destroying the city of the High Towers.  Which is also paralleled in the story of the destruction of Sarnor of the Tall Towers by the Dothraki--who come out of the green grass sea to destroy Sarnor.  And duthracht and damphair mean the same thing in Gaelic, "zealot".

"Lofty and amazing were the seventeen tower-like temples of Sarnath, fashioned of a bright multi-coloured stone not known elsewhere. A full thousand cubits high stood the greatest among them, wherein the high-priests dwelt with a magnificence scarce less than that of the kings." . . .

"And they said that from their high tower they sometimes saw lights beneath the waters of the lake. But as many years passed without calamity even the priests laughed and cursed and joined in the orgies of the feasters. Indeed, had they not themselves, in their high tower, often performed the very ancient and secret rite in detestation of Bokrug, the water-lizard?"

And Oldtown is the city of the Hightowers, and it was built on the ruins of a much older mysterious civilization, like Sarnath was. 

Sarnath comes from the Welsh words sarnu / sarnwr / Sathwr  which means "to trample, to tread, to strew" and is right above sarph  "serpent, reptile" and the story is about the water-lizard Bokrug and his fish people coming out of the water to trample the city of Sarnath.

sat / satra means "seven, seventeen" and sathrana means "to strew, to scatter" which is another instance of the number Seven ~ The Devil.  And Sarnath had 17 towers that get strewn.

In Hindi saran / sarna means "to decay, to ruin, to rot" and "stifling, humid heat" and Sarnath becomes a fetid swamp after it is destroyed.

Bokrug is another guise of the Black Goat, as bokri  means "goat" in Hindi, and rog means "evil, plague, disease"

21 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Watching the video below, immediately a character came to my mind... Wylla. She probably had a green dyed hair to be reminiscent of a Nixie. So what does that mean for her future role, I wonder.

Nixe means "mermaid" in German and Nix  means "snow" / "white" in Latin, and Wylla is Jon's "mother".  Which is a Shadow Over Innsmouth reference about the Ranger Snow, and the Jon being half mermaid, which I have written about previously

suire  ('shara) means "mermaid, siren, sea-nymph" and suirghe means "courtship, wooing, lover, sweetheart" and suir means "river"

Naiad  (~Ned) means "water nymph"

And Ned courted a mermaid at White Harbor, and she jumped back into the sea. 

I have written a bunch about the Manderly's entire court is merman/mermaid themed.  And the Manderly men are described as walrus/manatee men who are hugely fat with walrus mustaches, and the women as mermaids with green hair.  And I just got that Manderly can't walk on land and has to be carried because he is a merman and doesn't have land legs.

gwymon means "seaweed, sea wrack" in Welsh, which is what manatees eat.

Whoa...

He heard the dark leaves of the Weirwood rustling, whispering to one another in a tongue he did not know. 

Samwell, Storm, In which Sam meets Cold Hands

Made me think of this...

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/150780-soldier-pines-and-sentinels/

The sigil of Wyl of Wyl is a snake wrapped around a lower leg, biting the heel.  And I think this is actually information about Ned and Wylla and Jon.

gion  means "bite" and "will" in Gaelic.  and gwanu  means "to bite" in Welsh.  [cno  means "to bite" also, cno ~ Snow]

Nadr / neidr  means "snake" in Welsh (and is directly below neidiwr / llamwr "to leap")

iachawr  means "heal, healer, Saviour, well" in Welsh  

iach means "well"  --wyl / well wordplay. 

iachawr dyn  would mean "the Saviour/ the Saviour of Men?" [The Prince that was Promised?]

iachawr  "to heal"  is right above iaedd / iaeiddrwydd [Eddard] and iaen [Jon] which both mean "ice"  [and Jon is always getting Ghost "to heel"]

And in Gaelic ice  means "to heal"  [and the coming Ice Age and White Walker invasion will heal Westeros]

uille  [~Wylla] means "knee, elbow, angle, corner" in Gaelic and eochair  means "corner"  and cub  means "to bend" in Gaelic, and in Gaelic, "bend, meander, angle, and corner" are all synonyms.

yoneea/goneea  means "corner, angle" in Greek and dangono  [Dayne + Jon] means "to bite" and daingean means "fortress" in Gaelic.  And the Wolf's Den is a fortress in the Bite.  And Ashara is the Wolf's Dayne.

And to continue with the snake theme:

In Anglo-Saxon hwemman [Wymon] means "to bend, to turn" which means the same thing as "to Mander / to meander" like a snaking river.  And he is Lord Lamprey.  and hwemman is right next to hwelp "cub" and hwemm "corner, angle"

cuan  mean "wolf" and "harbour" and "bend" and "litter" in Gaelic, and cuanach  means "a harbour" and "place haunted by wolves"  And the Wolf's Den is at White Habor where the Manderlys are, and that is where litters of wolves are to be found.

Danneddu means "to bite" and Dunedin is White Harbor, and Jon is the Dunedain, so the Dunedain was born at Dunedin in the Danneddu.

Unrelated to anything, I think I figured out why the Church of Starry Wisdom is connected with the Catholic church.  The Catholic church used to be called "the Universal Church".  And Lovecraft took it as "having to due with the Universe, Outer Space" 

The Church of Starry Wisdom worships Yuggoth, and the Welsh word ysgwth comes from  ys - cwth  means "to push, to goat" and caeth  means "slavery" and cath  means "war".  So Cath-olic church ~ cthulhu-ic.  And couth / cyth means "knowledge" in Old English, and by gazing into the Shining Trapezohedron gives you access to all knowledge.

And the idea of scrying/gazing into a crystal orb and seeing other planets probably came from H.G. Wells' The Crystal Egg, where there was a magic crystal egg, that by gazing into you could observe the events on the surface of Mars and the dragon-like creatures who live there, by looking out of the crystal egg's counterpart on Mars. 

And the crystal egg was fashioned on Mars and somehow sent to Earth, and by gazing into it you could see its homeworld, is exactly like the Shining Trapezohedron being fashioned on Yuggoth, and by gazing into it you could see Yuggoth, and summon the Haunter of the Dark, which is the Black Goat Yuggoth--which is a nearly-invisible planet parallel to ours.

And in The Tree on the Hill, gazing into the crystal goat's eye gem controlled the Black Goat.

Which also parallels the Bloodstone Emperor worshiping a stone that fell out of the sky, and could show him the invisible world of Yuggoth, and by gazing into it, he summoned Yuggoth, the Lion of Night, and caused the Long Night.

• 1 month later...

Euron shrugged, “I had heard the Storm God swept Balon to his death. Who is this man that slew him? Tell me his name, niece, so I might revenge myself on him.”

The Iron Captain, Feast

Of course Euron knows the Faceless Man has no name. 

21 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Of course Euron knows the Faceless Man has no name. 

Technically, the Faceless Man can have a fake name, like Jaqen H'ghar.

PS: Twelve years of reading ASOIAF, and I still can't spell Jaqen H'ghar without looking it up. :blush:

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Peter plans to have Harry the Heir marry Sansa, then kill Sweetrobin, and then kill Harry as soon as he has a son with Sansa. Then he can marry Sansa and at least claim to rule three of the Seven Kingdoms. 

I just noticed the other day, that if Lysa and Petyr had a kid together, it would've ideally (for Petyr) became Lord/Lady of the Riverlands, while also being a Tully. 

However, Sansa, or the kid Petyr plans with her, could also become his heir, if he plans to lead things down that road.

On 7/29/2023 at 12:03 AM, Fun Guy from Yuggoth said:

The Catholic church used to be called "the Universal Church".

Doesn't the word "catholic" mean "universal" (as in, encompasses all people)?

The word catholic (derived via Late Latin catholicus, from the ancient Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos) 'universal')

On 7/25/2023 at 11:42 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Whoa...

Samwell, Storm, In which Sam meets Cold Hands

Made me think of this...

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/150780-soldier-pines-and-sentinels/

It always makes me think that Sam's hearing the language of those that sing the song of earth, True Tongue. And that greenseers can speak via tree... but there might be limitations, such as only ww trees where an ancestor's soul of yours lives in. And BR doesn't know this ability, because his ancestral ww tree has been dead for at least a thousand years at Raventree, and the ww of WF is very much protected against a non-Stark using it for communication. Might have to do with bones that remember, and most of the bones of the descendants of the last Stark-Blackwood union have failed to either return or if they did unlikely in any other form than ashes.

On 10/11/2023 at 2:36 PM, Daeron the Daring said:

I just noticed the other day, that if Lysa and Petyr had a kid together, it would've ideally (for Petyr) became Lord/Lady of the Riverlands, while also being a Tully. 

However, Sansa, or the kid Petyr plans with her, could also become his heir, if he plans to lead things down that road.

Wait what. Honestly, there is 0 chance GRRM is going to have Petyr Baelish have sex with Sansa Stark. It's not happening. He pushes boundaries, but he is not going to push that boundary. You act as though Sansa has no agency either, I think Sansa would murder Petyr in his sleep rather than let that happen.