Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 19

Seams

After leaving the Shy Maid for the Golden Company encampment Aegon passes willows, poppies and a windmill. The willows make sense since he was following the course of the Rhoyne. Poppies are sometimes used in literature to symbolize rebirth and a remembrance of the fallen in battle. Windmills suggest imaginary enemies and futile battles.

This…

Lady Sybelle all but lived in her godswood, praying for her children and he husband’s safe return. 

The Wayward Bride, Dance

Made me think of Sansa’s conspiracy to escape with Dontos. And that got me thinking of this

On 11/8/2023 at 11:48 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

This…

The Wayward Bride, Dance

Made me think of Sansa’s conspiracy to escape with Dontos. And that got me thinking of this

That also seems like an allusion to this:

Pale white mists rose off Alyssa's Tears, where the ghost waters plunged over the shoulder of the mountain to begin their long tumble down the face of the Giant's Lance. Catelyn could feel the faint touch of spray on her face.

Alyssa Arryn had seen her husband, her brothers, and all her children slain, and yet in life she had never shed a tear. So in death, the gods had decreed that she would know no rest until her weeping watered the black earth of the Vale, where the men she had loved were buried. Alyssa had been dead six thousand years now, and still no drop of the torrent had ever reached the valley floor far below. Catelyn wondered how large a waterfall her own tears would make when she died. 

AGoT, Catelyn VII

Interesting that Lady Sybelle is in a godswood but Alyssa was in a place where there is explicitly no godswood. Both women seem to have lost many family members to violence. There is also an element of futility for each - Sybelle's prayers are not heard (or so the unreliable narrator believes?) and Alyssa's tears never reach the Vale.

And Catelyn compares herself to Alyssa. Will she be the exception? Saving some of her family members? 

This… 

A corpse buried in the snow. 

Theon’s impression of Jeyne Poole in The Prince of Winterfell, Dance

Made me think of this…

"You will be sewing all through winter.When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked between your frozen fingers" 

Jon to Arya in Arya I, Dance

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Catelyn Stark

• Cat (Arya, as in Cat o' the Canals)
  • Alayne (Sansa at the Eyrie)
  • Cat / Alayne = Catelyn

This seems so obvious now. The two daughters of Catelyn took on aliases that when combined sound out their mothers name ...!

That's brilliant!

"Catelyn? A bit too obvious . . . but after my mother, that would serve. Alayne. Do you like it?"

:rofl:

Out of all pathological liars, LFs the worst.

Why is there a crow hidden upside-down in the original Game of Thrones book map? And why is it pecking at the Wall?

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/21/the-maps-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-a-game-of-thrones/

You can see it clearly if you remember that its eye is Bear Island.

Odd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I never noticed that Rhaenyra never had a problem with Daemon and Mysaria, and Rhaenyra only had a problem with Nettles after Mysaria openly accused Nettles of sharing Daemon’s bed. 

and that’s what Daemon must have been hinting at when he said a queen’s words, a whore’s work…

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, SaffronLady said:

Plants and water have been disappearing from Dorne for a long time.

We need an extinct houses thread. Actually, most posts in this thread deserve their own thread. But we seemed to be in a Stark-hate doom spiral instead ....

Anyway, here is a fun place to start investigating:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Extinct_houses

• 1 month later...

Just been reading up on Alleras / Sarella. If there is any doubt left that they are one and the same, then there is one clue which I think has been overlooked.

Sarella's mother being captain of the ship Feathered Kiss is more than just an allusion to her being a Summer Islander, and therefore captaining a Swan Ship (swans have feathers, etc). 

Because Alleras is famed for his archery, as we see in the apple scenes. And what better ASOIAF-style metaphor for an arrow hitting its target could there be than .. a feathered kiss? Arrows use feathers in their fletching in the world of Westeros, as we see many times in the story, e.g.:

Jon hung a quiver from his belt and pulled an arrow. The shaft was black, the fletching grey. As he notched it to his string, he remembered something that Theon Greyjoy had once said after a hunt. "The boar can keep his tusks and the bear his claws," he had declared, smiling that way he did. "There's nothing half so mortal as a grey goose feather." - 

Including those used by Alleras:

Far and fast the apple flew . . .
. . . but not as fast as the arrow that whistled after it, a yard-long shaft of golden wood fletched with scarlet feathers

And kisses are often used as metaphors when using a piercing weapon:

Ebben drew his dagger. "A steel kiss will keep her quiet."

Kurleket grabbed a handful of hair and yanked his head back in a hard jerk, baring his throat. Tyrion felt the cold kiss of steel beneath his chin. "Shall I bleed him, my lady?"

So it's fitting that the daughter of the captain of the Feathered Kiss would be skilled at producing ''feathered kisses of a more deadly kind.

On 4/25/2024 at 2:14 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

So it's fitting that the daughter of the captain of the Feathered Kiss would be skilled at producing ''feathered kisses of a more deadly kind.

Nice!

I spotted something I hadn't noticed the other day as well:

“The Horned Lord once said that sorcery is a sword without a hilt. There is no safe way to grasp it.” (ASOS, Jon X)

And here we see Arya using "a sword without a hilt" while practicing her swordplay in the trees in the godswood at Harrenhal before Jaqen arrives to offer her 3 deaths:

Her blade was much too light and had no proper grip, but she liked the sharp jagged splintery end. (ACOK, Arya IX).