Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 19

Seams

22 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Wait what. Honestly, there is 0 chance GRRM is going to have Petyr Baelish have sex with Sansa Stark. It's not happening. He pushes boundaries, but he is not going to push that boundary. You act as though Sansa has no agency either, I think Sansa would murder Petyr in his sleep rather than let that happen. 

I mean, I personally don't, but many people see the possibility of Petyr trying to push things that far. The reason I mentioned it was because it is quite common for people to think Petyr wants just that. 

In no way I meant to imply that Sansa can put no pressure on the course of events affecting her, particularly this possible one.

6 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I mean, I personally don't, but many people see the possibility of Petyr trying to push things that far. The reason I mentioned it was because it is quite common for people to think Petyr wants just that. 

In no way I meant to imply that Sansa can put no pressure on the course of events affecting her, particularly this possible one.

Oh, I agree Petyr wants that. He 100% wants that. He isn't going to get it. I fully believe Sansa is going to either directly kill Petyr Baelish, or be the reason for his downfall. 

On 10/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Oh, I agree Petyr wants that. He 100% wants that. He isn't going to get it. I fully believe Sansa is going to either directly kill Petyr Baelish, or be the reason for his downfall. 

Many of us want that, but hey I didn't want Jon to end the last book being stabbed 3 times and left in the snow to die. GRRM has become a rather hard man to predict, lol

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Many of us want that, but hey I didn't want Jon to end the last book being stabbed 3 times and left in the snow to die. GRRM has become a rather hard man to predict, lol

Actually, I would say that Jon's fate was set up throughout ADwD (it's just that we like him and what he is doing). However, he ignores obvious trouble brewing in the Night's Watch for much of ADwD. This doesn't mean I didn't want that, but, I saw it coming. But see, I also think Petyr Baelish's downfall has plenty of evidence behind it, and more importantly, Sansa's arc toward independence and becoming a player instead of a piece, is also set up. Because of these two parts, it's not about "what I want", but rather the evidence of what GRRM is setting up.

11 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Is Maester Aemon wrong about dragons not being male nor female?

I don’t know about Maester Aemon, but in Daenerys I, Dance 2, The George has Viserion coiled round a pear tree. The pear is often used to symbolize femininity. And later Quentyn notes that Viserion has been nesting. 

This…

There was a stillness to this wood like nothing Bran had ever known before. Before the snows began, the north wind would swirl around them and clouds of dead brown leaves would kick up from the ground with a faint small rustling sound that reminded him of roaches scurrying in a cupboard, but now all the leaves were buried under a blanket of white. 

Bran I, Dance 4

Foreshadows the wight ambush in Bran I, Dance 13. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why do you suppose The George had Quaithe stand under a persimmon tree? 

Because persimmon sounds almost exactly the same as lion in Chinese. Like how the Lannisters betrayed the Targs, Quaithe has been playing Dany. Since it is only "almost", Dany will not be murdered, unlike her sister-in-law, niece and nephew.

9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why do you suppose The George had Quaithe stand under a persimmon tree? 

I wouldn't be surprised if Symeon Star-Eyes or Symon Silver Tongue are part of the allusion. Any other characters in the "Simon" name group? Oh yes, the wiki tells me there are many Symon, Symond, Simon and Simeon characters. 

Discovering what they have in common might take some time. All truth-tellers? All prophets?

4 hours ago, Seams said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Symeon Star-Eyes or Symon Silver Tongue are part of the allusion. Any other characters in the "Simon" name group? Oh yes, the wiki tells me there are many Symon, Symond, Simon and Simeon characters. 

Discovering what they have in common might take some time. All truth-tellers? All prophets?

Simons are references to Simon Kress, the sadistic guy who buys Sandkings for pets and feeds them puppies, etc. Other related namesakes to that sicko are Krazniz and Craster (his last name).

In relation to Dany, there's a very interesting scene in Sandkings, where Simon Kress sent a video to his ex-gf Cath m'Lane of the sandkings making minced meat of a cute puppy just to rile her up because she reported him to animal control. She goes to his place in fury and tears after seeing that video, and smashes the plastc walls of his terrarium with a sledge hammer. He ends up using some antique sword and stabs her through. Nevertheless, the sandkings escape.

So, Krazniz enjoying to inform Dany about making the Unsullied kill their puppies, her retaliaton over it, walls breaking, lifeforms hostile to other life getting to the other side, and Nissa Nissa all wrapped into one scene.

So, yup quite possible that Persimmon may include a wordplay "per simon (kress)"

19 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

I was joking.

That aside though, GRRM usually uses wordplay and puns in Indo-European languages, so I don't think my crack theory holds up. He's writing for a primarily English-speaking audience, after all.

I thought you were joking, and then was worried for a second it was serious, but was glad to be confirmed it was a joke. I want a whole thread where we just say wild answers to these questions. My answer the the Quathe thing : 

She was under a persimmon tree because Daenerys was actually born under a persimmon tree, as Ashara Dayne's daughter...who was also know as "The persimmon of Dorne"

8 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

This is like way too long for a nickname.

I said "also known as" : Longer than normal names happen when saying "also known as". Honestly, I don't want to repeat my embarrassing high school nick names, but ...most of them were longer than my name.