Football, a pussy gives me Wood.

BigFatCoward

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

No way do I take him above Henry, I might not take him above Wright, Viera or Adams either. 

Did you watch them both, as well as Wright, Vieira and Adams, playing in the flesh, in almost every single game they turned out for Arsenal?

No? Well then.

10 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right, because everyone knows you can't tell how good a player is if you haven't seen them live. Don't be silly.

Who is better placed to judge the quality of a football club's players? The season ticket holder who attends almost every single game, home and away? Or the person who watches eight or ten games a season on TV?

Hmmmm, that's a tough one.

ETA: I will say Henry is the best striker we've ever had, but not the best overall player. That is Bergkamp. And, unlike Henry, Bergkamp never had anyone accusing him of undermining and intimidating young players in his final season at the club.

Ruling out everyone's opinion because you might have seen a player a few more times... Why not try dialing down the obnoxiousness a bit?

I personally don't think it's an easy call between Bergkamp and Henry. I'd probably go with Henry overall, but Bergkamp had some ridiculous moments of brilliance. (The goal posted earlier isn't even my favourite of his.)

I just looked at about 7 or 8 rankings of greatest Premier league players.

Henry came 1st or 2nd in every one. Bergkamp never cracked the top 10. Which feels about right to me. Viera was also above him in every one. 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you are the only person that holds it..... 

A fan vote (other people who have watched them play a lot) also has Henry above him. 

3. Viera

4. Adams

5. Wright

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Ruling out everyone's opinion because you might have seen a player a few more times... Why not try dialing down the obnoxiousness a bit?

I personally don't think it's an easy call between Bergkamp and Henry. I'd probably go with Henry overall, but Bergkamp had some ridiculous moments of brilliance. (The goal posted earlier isn't even my favourite of his.)

WTF? Dial it down yourself.

I'm not ruling anyone's opinion out. Unlike BFC, a Newcastle fan, who challenged my view that Bergkamp was Arsenal's best ever player. All I did was point out that I, as someone who watched almost every single game, was better positioned to judge.

Are you disputing that? 

On a side note the single greatest performance I ever saw in person was Ian Wright against Newcastle. The only time I ever thought someone deserved a 10. He fucking tortured us. 

Obviously he got muted applause from the Highbury library. That was a shit ground. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

WTF? Dial it down yourself.

I'm not ruling anyone's opinion out. Unlike BFC, a Newcastle fan, who challenged my view that Bergkamp was Arsenal's best ever player. All I did was point out that I, as someone who watched almost every single game, was better positioned to judge.

Are you disputing that? 

How you phrase things makes a difference. Your post was very dismissive; can you not see that?

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

How you phrase things makes a difference. Your post was very dismissive; can you not see that?

Well, if you want to talk about dismissive, look at the post immediately before mine.

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Obviously he got muted applause from the Highbury library. That was a shit ground. 

It really was. And not just the lack of atmosphere. There were steel beams everywhere, and from my seat it was impossible to get a clear, unhindered view of the pitch.

The new place is finally shaping up though, with the atmosphere at the Emirates the best it's ever been. Probably because many old school season ticket holders are no longer there, and the new intake is very, very noisy. It's great.

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It really was. And not just the lack of atmosphere. There were steel beams everywhere, and from my seat it was impossible to get a clear, unhindered view of the pitch.

It's the ground I’ve been to most other than St James.  Always got fucking destroyed. I think even Ray fucking Parlour scored a hatrick once, that's how bad we always were. 

Archived