Football, a pussy gives me Wood.

BigFatCoward

48 minutes ago, Darryk said:

think they can escape that if they virtue signal hard enough. 

Look, I agree with you that there is a weird disconnect when it comes to other owners in the league and the PL's 'fit and proper' test is clearly not up to standard. With regards to Saudi Arabia, it is the biggest ally the UK & the US have in the middle east so it's unlikely they were ever going to anything about Saudi.

I think if your complaint is that they're hypocrites, that is fair enough, but it's a little weird to see chelsea fans trying to state that this shouldn't be done given the current situation in Ukraine. Football is tribal, but this stuff is a little beyong the pale.

I supported Russia getting banned from the WC so this had to be done, too. I'm sad that Chelsea's season will likely be massively derailed but at least anyone with a brain knew they had no chance of winning the PL. But I think they'll likely not finish the CL on the field. 

Any other non-Russian teams out there owned by Russian oligarchs?

I posted 10 days ago that Chelsea and any other oligarch-owned/funded clubs should be kicked out of the PL, CL and everything else.  These sanctions don’t impair the long term value of the asset to Abramovich.

This isn’t about punishing Chelsea fans, despite their odious chants.  RA cynically used the club for sports washing his shady Russian wealth and buying a social and literal passport into UK society.  It was wrong to allow that and it needs to be shut down emphatically.

The very fact that people are trying to make excuses and use whataboutism to avoid punitive action because they don’t want any interruption to Chelsea’s pampered grown men kicking an inflated bladder around a grass field while innocent people are being cluster-bombed shows just how insidious soft power can be.  That’s why the soft power needs to be refuted entirely, not tacitly enabled because we don’t want to lose the glamour and fun it can provide.

Hand over the club to a supporters trust overseen by a court-appointed receiver.  Ban them from PL and CL for three years.  Let them bounce back organically once you have erased the financial advantage from the sports washing.  What’s there today was bought with blood money.  Just because the money came a decade before the blood doesn’t mean we should excuse it.

27 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

What’s there today was bought with blood money.  Just because the money came a decade before the blood doesn’t mean we should excuse it.

The PL literally just took the Saudis' current blood money. The business side of professional sports is incredibly dirty and at every level people are willing to do business with the worst actors in the world. Shit, just look at how the NBA and its players reacted to one team president tweeting one sentence in support of the protestors in Hong Kong. The most powerful athlete in the country, LeBron James, told him publicity to sit down, shut the fuck up and don't fuck with his money.  

I have no problem with RA being forced to sell the team and with the season getting nuked by the sanctions, but let's not pretend he's the worst entity to own a sports team.

Archived