Hope for the Frey family

4 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Robb broke an oath. That is the mitigating factor. He is the son of the man who was executed for treason. 

Robb breaking an oath is not a mitigating factor. Breach of contract doesn't entitle you to murder someone (in Westeros or the real world), nor does it operate to 'reduce' the charge of murder to culpable homicide/manslaughter. Breach of contract might entitle Walder to resile from the contract. So if he sent his troops home and refused to support Robb anymore, fine. But there is no way it exonerates him from the Red Wedding. Also, Walder himself is breaching a contract in any event, because he is obliged to support the Tullys, his feudal overlords.

5 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Robb broke an oath. That is the mitigating factor. He is the son of the man who was executed for treason. 

Well @Moiraine Sedai, you certainly hold true to your name. But doesn't the Blue Ajah seek justice with their causes ? Do you consider Walder Frey's actions as Justice ??

The duplicitous nature of the White Tower would approve of anything if it benefited them I suppose.

It has been a long time since I read WOT. I think I might do a reread, god knows I have enough time while waiting for WOW

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

I wish for the Frey family to receive a full pardon but that is not going to take place now because George set them to receive punishment.  The best hope is indeed a restoration of House Targaryen under Dany.  She will at least listen to all the facts of what took place between the families and pass a balanced decision.  No such balance is possible if a Stark gets enough power to harm the Freys.  Arya and Jon are merciless animals. 

Edited by The Lord of the Crossing

5 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

I wish for the Frey family to receive a full pardon but that is not going to take place now because George set them to receive punishment.  The best hope is indeed a restoration of House Targaryen under Dany.  She will at least listen to all the facts of what took place between the families and pass a balanced decision.  No such balance is possible if a Stark gets enough power to harm the Freys.  Arya and Jon are merciless animals. 

It never gets old for you, does it? Practically every House in the Riverlands and North had sons or daughters murdered at or held hostage after The Red Wedding, to say nothing of the thousands of men at arms butchered at the wedding feast.  But let's pretend it's a "Stark problem"..... :rolleyes:

If Arya and Jon are merciless animals in your weird view what does that make old Walder Frey and his brood?

A Storm of Swords - Catelyn VII*

Edwyn Frey shoved her aside. The music drowned all other sound, echoing off the walls as if the stones themselves were playing. Robb gave Edwyn an angry look and moved to block his way . . . and staggered suddenly as a quarrel sprouted from his side, just beneath the shoulder. If he screamed then, the sound was swallowed by the pipes and horns and fiddles. Catelyn saw a second bolt pierce his leg, saw him fall. Up in the gallery, half the musicians had crossbows in their hands instead of drums or lutes. She ran toward her son, until something punched in the small of the back and the hard stone floor came up to slap her. "Robb!" she screamed. She saw Smalljon Umber wrestle a table off its trestles. Crossbow bolts thudded into the wood, one two three, as he flung it down on top of his king. Robin Flint was ringed by Freys, their daggers rising and falling. Ser Wendel Manderly rose ponderously to his feet, holding his leg of lamb. A quarrel went in his open mouth and came out the back of his neck. Ser Wendel crashed forward, knocking the table off its trestles and sending cups, flagons, trenchers, platters, turnips, beets, and wine bouncing, spilling, and sliding across the floor.
Catelyn's back was on fire. I have to reach him. The Smalljon bludgeoned Ser Raymund Frey across the face with a leg of mutton. But when he reached for his swordbelt a crossbow bolt drove him to his knees. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws. She saw Lucas Blackwood cut down by Ser Hosteen Frey. One of the Vances was hamstrung by Black Walder as he was wrestling with Ser Harys Haigh. And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours. The crossbows took Donnel Locke, Owen Norrey, and half a dozen more. Young Ser Benfrey had seized Dacey Mormont by the arm, but Catelyn saw her grab up a flagon of wine with her other hand, smash it full in his face, and run for the door. It flew open before she reached it. Ser Ryman Frey pushed into the hall, clad in steel from helm to heel. A dozen Frey men-at-arms packed the door behind him. They were armed with heavy longaxes.
"Mercy!" Catelyn cried, but horns and drums and the clash of steel smothered her plea. Ser Ryman buried the head of his axe in Dacey's stomach. By then men were pouring in the other doors as well, mailed men in shaggy fur cloaks with steel in their hands. Northmen! She took them for rescue for half a heartbeat, till one of them struck the Smalljon's head off with two huge blows of his axe. Hope blew out like a candle in a storm.
In the midst of slaughter, the Lord of the Crossing sat on his carved oaken throne, watching greedily.

Mercy for this?  Don't confuse mercy with justice.  A full pardon, indeed...

*Text inserted in the sure knowledge that it will be ignored as inconvenient.

The best hope of the Freys surviving is that there are so many and some were clearly not involved in the Red Wedding. However, it all depends on the new Wars for the Iron Throne (FAegon v Dany v Lannister/Tyrell Allieance?) and the Impending White Walker/Wyght Invastion. People my find that they have bigger problems.