UK Politics: Cost of Living Crisis

Raja

Rees-Mogg's latest bit of nonsense is to insist that civil servants have to return to working in the office for no other reason than: the government are paying for office space, so you'll damn well fill it, so we can justify the expense. We don't care whether you actually need to be there or not.

He seems oblivious to the idea that if you don't need it, the space is wasted anyway. You can force people to occupy it for no good reason, but that's just stupid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61145692

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Rees-Mogg's latest bit of nonsense is to insist that civil servants have to return to working in the office for no other reason than: the government are paying for office space, so you'll damn well fill it, so we can justify the expense. We don't care whether you actually need to be there or not.

He seems oblivious to the idea that if you don't need it, the space is wasted anyway. You can force people to occupy it for no good reason, but that's just stupid.

Don't forget to check whether JRM (or anyone on the front bench) have links to the companies who lease out those properties - or at least, similar properties who's value would be negatively affected if those buildings were standing empty, or leased out for cheaper.

Not that I'm cynical at all, but...

Quite honestly though, even if no-one in government would be directly impacted by this, it' still a message that will go down VERY well with the landlord class everywhere in the country.

According to Brandon Lewis, Tony Blair once got a parking ticket.

They are actually using this as a defence of Partygate.

I mean, it's great, for Labour, that they've got their head so far up Bozo's arse they just cannot see that this is only making things worse. People are furious. All this bullshit and false equivalence isn't helping.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

When I was a civil servant we were encouraged to work from home as much as possible because there physically wasn't enough office space to accommodate everyone. That was in 2016.

In addition, for the commuters there was an understanding that spending ~£4K a year (£6K now) and 4+ hours a day to come into the office with the exact same laptop you were using at home to work anyway was a complete waste of time. Obviously it varied by role.

This attitude is bizarre:

Sir Graham Brady, chairman of the backbench 1922 committee, wrote at the weekend: "It is simply unacceptable for so many of our public servants to continue sitting at home."

Yes, people are sitting at home working. If they are not, that should be easily spotted in productivity reports and addressed. And when I was working in the office, I noted some colleagues taking 2-3 hour lunch breaks to go shopping in central London, which for some reason did not seem to be a problem given the frequency with which they did it.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Have we ever had such an immoral, despicable HS as Priti Patel? She really showed her true colours today. Absolutely fucking vile. 

The last time I can think of that we had anyone as dispicable as Patel anywhere in cabinet would have been the International Development Secretary 5 years ago. Before that, I think you'd have to look further back than my political memory goes.

43 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Have we ever had such an immoral, despicable HS as Priti Patel? She really showed her true colours today. Absolutely fucking vile. 

Michael Howard comes to mind as someone who seemed to relish the cruelty. Blunkett had that absolute determination to be seen as tough on everything to the point of being a bully. Both were untrustworthy and ambitious, too, though neither to the absolutely self-parodic degree that Patel displays, and both were incomparably smarter than she is.

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It says something when even Theresa May thinks an anti-immigration policy is too draconian.

Archived