Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Another slap down for Doug Ford. This time by the courts finding that Bill 124 is unconstitutional in limiting pay increases in the public service to 1%.  I hope Ford beats Harper's record in getting bills and laws ruled unconstitutional. 

I read just now they plan to appeal.

I think this one will go to the SCC, and Ontario Government will get a smackdown.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-premier-danielle-smith-sovereignty-act-1.6668175

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith's signature legislation would grant her cabinet new powers to bypass the legislative assembly and unilaterally amend provincial laws.

The measure is described in Bill 1, the Alberta Sovereignty within a United Canada Act, introduced Tuesday in the provincial legislature.

The bill describes how the Alberta government plans to not enforce federal legislation, policies or programs it decides are "harmful" to Alberta's interests or infringe on the division of powers in the Constitution.

Under existing rules, cabinet has the power to make and change regulations through orders in council. Giving the power to unilaterally change legislation is normally allowed during emergency situations. 

Any measures made by cabinet must be in line with the Constitution, nor can they undermine Indigenous rights. The government says it will respect court rulings that find its actions are unconstitutional.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure all you here know about this already -- but I just encountered the news.

Canada: hopes rise for landfill search where Indigenous women’s bodies believed to be buried
Manitoba site pauses operations, raising prospect that search for bodies of Long Plain First Nation women could be possible

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/09/canada-landfill-indigenous-women-bodies-manitoba

Anyway, this news makes me appreciate all the more the arc theme that seems designed to connect from one plot to another in Amazon Prime's adaptation from Louise Penny's Gamache novels - Three Pines.

That situation has been aggravating for me, can't even imagine how retraumatizing it is to Indigenous communities whether directly tied to this serial killer or no.

Goes to how pissy Provinces can be to not fund ground penetrating radar to further the search for Indigenous children that died in the residential school system. 

I hate this country sometimes.

44 minutes ago, JGP said:

For real though, @Zorral.

I meant how sad I am that the power is not "funding the least."

In the meantime, check the Watching thread, for some things Canadian people did do, heroically, against the nazis.

Nazis in whatever flavor, under whatever mask, including xtian, are all our enemies.  Everywhere.  They must be called out everywhere for they are.  Nazis, fascists, mono authoritarians, where ever, need to be called out in public.  Why ever is free speech to belong only to Them, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Edited by Zorral

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I meant how sad I am that the power is not "funding the least."

In the meantime, check the Watching thread, for some things Canadian people did do, heroically, against the nazis.

Nazis in whatever flavor, under whatever mask, including xtian, are all our enemies.  Everywhere.  They must be called out everywhere for they are.  Nazis, fascists, mono authoritarians, where ever, need to be called out in public.  Why ever is free speech to belong only to Them, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I know Canadians aren't all bad. I'm not all good. 

You're getting into the rub of life leaving off there. Everyone has stuff going on. The news and the personal can't always be grossly reflective of each other. People are out learning. Growing. Earning. Enjoying. Struggling. Fighting. Failing. Crushed.  

I can't say we, but me, I got no inhibitions confronting hateful shit. I had an interaction just the other day that had the counter staff of the outdoors shop tittering about the last time they saw a death stare lol 

But then, with very helpful staff, I had to finish replacing the ski gear my youngest had outgrown.

As a Canadian in many ways I'm spoiled but ok I got an hour and half until I have to pick up her older sister and make chili, and at some point later that night, I actually pause to debate whether I want to catch up on cable news or not.

So you say why free speech v fascism, and I say Canada has freedom of expression, so should crack down harder. 

We don't have the 1st amendment cripple, yet still manage to fuck it sideways anyway. Ha. Ha. 

But this has little to do with why Canadians permit what we do. We're individualistic. No we're not. Ritualistic. Sometimes. We're also voyeurs, with a chilling side effect of seeing first hand what will eventually come down here. And it does. Almost every time. 

And ah fuck, the chili

So you see how it goes.

Edited by JGP

• 2 weeks later...

"Alberta farmer Anthony Bilodeau has been sentenced to life in prison with no parole for at least 13 years for killing Métis hunters Jacob Sansom and Maurice Cardinal. He was convicted of manslaughter and 2nd degree murder, respectively, for his role in the mens’ deaths."

-from le twitter 

And may he never get parole. 

On 12/30/2022 at 3:48 PM, JGP said:

Everyone always trying to reinvent themselves around the New Year.

Covid made the Conservatives look bad? Maybe the fact people really did not like your party in times of crisis is the really important bit.

To me, the way people/politicians handled Covid said a lot about where they stand on the humans vs. money spectrum. Like in Ontario, Ford very briefly surprised me by apparently prioritizing the former…but that didn’t last long and we got back to ‘traditional conservative values’…ie money…pretty quickly. 

Of all that emerged during Covid, the decision certain administrations made to officially stop recording medical information, for example in Ontario they ruled to stop schools recording the number of cases amongst their students, is the epitome of money>people. There is zero benefit to people in knowing less about the affect Covid is having on us, it’s scientifically bankrupt to want less information during a pandemic, and the reasons given pretty openly expressed a desire to avoid the effect of people having that information on the economy. That’s…vile.

Edited by James Arryn

• 4 weeks later...